mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 19:37
English to Russian
+ ...
re Aug 22, 2017

Atril_TEAM wrote:

Hello everyone,
We’ve updated the article about the problem with running dxv3 and dvx2 after windows updates. The solution is described here: https://goo.gl/Fji8ff

Kind regards,
Matylda

[Edited at 2017-08-22 19:57 GMT]

The changing folder name and only «SettingsPath» in registry was not working correctly for me. After it DVX3 started with «Restore installation».
In DVX3 in ProgramData folder there are a lot of other files, that referenced in registry (filters/macroses/proofing tools).
DVX3 started normally only after a replacing of all accented pathes in registry.

The much better solution — recompile installation files without any accented characters in installation pathes (and at the best use short names as DV(X)2/DV(X)3 for command line lovers) and ussue new/recompiled builds for DVX2/DVX3.

The real problem was the impossibility to simply finish process (error reappeared again and again more than 20 times until killing process through Task Manager) OR choose another folder for settings file. It's the problem of standart DVX3 error messagebox - there is only two possibility - send to Atril/do not send and automatically terminate program or return to program.

[Редактировалось 2017-08-22 21:06 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-08-22 21:07 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 17:37
English to Polish
+ ...
The easiest way. Aug 23, 2017

The method that worked for me 100% and took just 5 minutes, was the one with changing the language in the Control Panel.
Simple and effective - no problems afterwards, whatsoever.

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
We're in the middle of preparing changes to the website Aug 25, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Atril's website and their Yahoo group is down, so perhpas they have finally decided to go out of business, that's why they didn't care to make an announcement about the bug.

[Edited at 2017-08-20 07:12 GMT]

As for the website, it was down for maintenance reasons, since we’re preparing some major changes.
And the information about the Windows update issue and the temporary solution appeared across multiple channels, that includes this very thread, the Yahoo group, and our profiles on Facebook and Twitter.

Kind regards,
Matylda

[Edited at 2017-09-05 06:50 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I wouldn't be too critical. Sep 11, 2017

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

WOW! Dejavu X3 has been broken for almost two weeks now and still no official solution from Atril?

Does this strike you as unusual? I think it's very typical of Atril. I mean they never acknowledge any bugs, unless they are reported by one of the ten persons that keep visiting their Yahoo Group (who, incidentally, wish to see no new feature).

Atril's website was down for an entire weekend and they made no announcement—it seems that nothing noteworthy has happened since June 2015, when they released their latest announcement (which they did after I complained that they hadn't made any announcements since 2013…).

Also, three months ago we were promised to hear a lot of news in "the coming weeks". Here we are now, three months later, with not even a single word about a new version.

To me Atril is dead and buried. I'll be stuck forever with a DVX3 which refuses to launch and throws an error message which can't be dismissed—it needs me to end the process using Task Manager.

[Edited at 2017-08-21 12:50 GMT]

It's true that we've been waiting for the new version a bit too long, but I remember lots of people criticizing me here about 1.5 years ago and saying that they are happy with the present version and wouldn't like to change it. (as if you couldn't stick to your current version and let others enjoy the features of the new one).

On the other hand, I can see there's some activity in Atril camp, which makes quite optimistic. All those activities like resurrected Facebook and Twitter profiles, the ideas page, news about Atril sponsoring conferences (http://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/317962-atril_is_sponsoring_texas_association_of_healthcare_interpreters_and_translators_symposium.html), make me believe that something has moved there and this year we will be able to enjoy DVX4 or whatever it's called.

Still, I'm a Trados user and only ocassionally use DVX, so I don't get too hyped. I think that Atril would need some DVX release roadmap, releasing a major update (not a version - just an update with one or two nice improvements/features) once e.g. a year, so that their users could feel that there's an ongoing activity there.

[Edited at 2017-09-11 13:14 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:37
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Fossilized software Sep 12, 2017

On May 22, they promised to keep us updated, but more than 3 months later they still haven't posted a single piece of information.

Their posts on social media barely get a couple of likes, and the only change to their website is that they posted three pieces of old news: news from 2015 and 2016...

I wouldn't call this progress. They simply can't compete, because they're a semi-professional project just for a handful of friends. That's why they say they don't have users
... See more
On May 22, they promised to keep us updated, but more than 3 months later they still haven't posted a single piece of information.

Their posts on social media barely get a couple of likes, and the only change to their website is that they posted three pieces of old news: news from 2015 and 2016...

I wouldn't call this progress. They simply can't compete, because they're a semi-professional project just for a handful of friends. That's why they say they don't have users but fans. It's the same ten persons.

[Edited at 2017-09-12 11:25 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Well... Sep 12, 2017

I agree that the ship has long gone to compete with Studio and perhaps MemoQ, but that't the reality of today's market. Some companies thrive, others struggle to survive. I hope that Atril with the new version will really get a new wind in their sails, but we'll see.
Anyway, I've heard from beta group that they expect the beta version soon, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Still, there's some movement there and as they say, "if it's moving, then, hell, it's alive!"...
See more
I agree that the ship has long gone to compete with Studio and perhaps MemoQ, but that't the reality of today's market. Some companies thrive, others struggle to survive. I hope that Atril with the new version will really get a new wind in their sails, but we'll see.
Anyway, I've heard from beta group that they expect the beta version soon, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Still, there's some movement there and as they say, "if it's moving, then, hell, it's alive!"
And as for social media... well most translators aren't FB and TT animals, which can be seen by SDL's profile and their posts which sometimes get several likes sometimes not. So I wouldn't be too judgmental about it.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Soon, soon, soon Sep 12, 2017

"Soon" is never soon with Atril, I'm afraid. They've been saying "soon" for two years now.

I have every right to be judgemental. Thank you.

PS: In May, development was said to be "in full swing", and now you're saying that they don't even have a beta in September? They were expected to have released the application in summer 2017. Surely you can't expect any serious development and any innovations from this, can you? As I see it, the new version will only integrate some
... See more
"Soon" is never soon with Atril, I'm afraid. They've been saying "soon" for two years now.

PS: In May, development was said to be "in full swing", and now you're saying that they don't even have a beta in September? They were expected to have released the application in summer 2017. Surely you can't expect any serious development and any innovations from this, can you? As I see it, the new version will only integrate some ready-made, third-party components. That's what DVX3 was mostly about, too: they used a third-party component that gave the application a ribbon. That's why they couldn't customize the colours and offer a look other than the eye-straining plain white.

[Edited at 2017-09-12 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
It hasn´t : Sep 12, 2017

Wojciech_ wrote:

the ship has long gone to compete with Studio and perhaps MemoQ

... at least for me (I have upgraded to Studio 2017 in spring: still a silly piece of patchwork; barely usable)

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Who knows Sep 12, 2017

PS: In May, development was said to be "in full swing", and now you're saying that they don't even have a beta in September? They were expected to have released the application in summer 2017. Surely you can't expect any serious development and any innovations from this, can you? As I see it, the new version will only integrate some ready-made, third-party components. That's what DVX3 was mostly about, too: they used a third-party component that gave the application a ribbon. That's why they couldn't customize the colours and offer a look other than the eye-straining plain white.

[Edited at 2017-09-12 13:03 GMT]

None of us knows what the situation is like. In recent years we saw a few companies pulling the plug on the development of their CAT tools (e.g. Heartsome) or ceasing to exist whatsoever. It's a difficult market, heavily dominated by SDL, and lots of smaller companies simply can't keep up. I don't have a clue what the situation looks like with Atril, but I suspect that they may be struggling a little bit. I would like them to release something extraordinary to at least match what the competitors offer, but perhaps they don't have enough resources to do so. Perhaps you should try to join the beta group where your voice will be better heard?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Amateurs? Non-professionals? Unprofessional? Sep 12, 2017

I have really lost my faith in Atril. I suspect there are only five persons left in the company, which makes it hard to develop anything original. And I doubt that DVX development is their full-time job or their profession. For example, I recently asked them to make my profile on their site private, because I didn't want my information to appear in Google results (no one told me my Atril profile would be public). What they did was delete my entire account, so now I can't log in. I told them that... See more
I have really lost my faith in Atril. I suspect there are only five persons left in the company, which makes it hard to develop anything original. And I doubt that DVX development is their full-time job or their profession. For example, I recently asked them to make my profile on their site private, because I didn't want my information to appear in Google results (no one told me my Atril profile would be public). What they did was delete my entire account, so now I can't log in. I told them that this is not what I wanted, but they have not responed. Also, they said their website was offline for an entire weekend because they needed to make some updates. No site needs to go offline nowadays for changes to be made. And the only updates they made was those three 'news' items they posted about events in 2015 and 2016...

On top of that, they never acknowledge bugs or missing features: they insist that their product is flawless, which shows that they don't test or use their own product. They don't have a clear picture of the business domain, hence they can't respond to the needs of translators. (And no, the ten old-time users, who are only a few years away from retirement, don't count as reliable and representative domain experts.) That's how I see it.

[Edited at 2017-09-12 17:59 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same with SDL Studio: Sep 13, 2017

...they never acknowledge bugs or missing features: they insist that their product is flawless, which shows that they don't test or use their own product. They don't have a clear picture of the business domain, hence they can't respond to the needs of translators.

The same can be said about SDL.
I as a "fan" (call me the 11th fan) will not defend Atril too much, not at all, and it is obvious that Atril consists of only a hand full of people, but I wonder how many persons (and I am speaking of the programming "experts") are actually responsible for assembling at regular intervalls a piece here and there to the patchwork CAT called "SDL Studio"?
And, as can be seen with Cafe Tran, it often doesn´t necessarily need a huge IBM-like headquarter crowded with programmers to create, improve and foster a useful and proven (niche-)product. I agree with you that ATRIL could be more responsive, at least for their own marketing benefits. A good example regarding this would be CafeTran with their regular and interesting CAT related contributions in this forum via their proz member "CafeTran Training".

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never say never Sep 16, 2017

I wouldn't call this progress. They simply can't compete, because they're a semi-professional project just for a handful of friends. That's why they say they don't have users but fans. It's the same ten persons.

[Edited at 2017-09-12 11:25 GMT]

First, full disclosure: I'm not a paid spokesperson for Atril or any of its principals. I also use other TEnT tools: SDL Trados and memoQ.

Now, to brass tacks: I tend to be highly skeptical of claims or statements that use the word “never” not because they're too negative but because they're too biased. These claims are more rants than thoughtful statements, and are unhelpful.

I don't know how many of us translators are aware of the expense and marketing costs it takes to carry on a software product, especially when there's stiff competition. But I'm talking about the marketing costs, not the contents of marketing campaign. Marketing can be very expensive even for the best of them. Marketing is not the same as advertising, or sales, or operational costs, let alone capital expenses. Likewise, I'm not sure many of us have had direct experience with the software development lifecycle (I have) to say so blithely that a certain company is going too slow or that their software is fossilized.

In 2000-2001, a New York-based translation agency that will remain nameless embarked on an experiment. Armed with cash from a German investor, they started a translation services platform (you won't find it on the Internet anymore, but the name starts with L and ends with x) similar to other better players, like Proz. They hired programmers and developers, most of whom favored Linux heavily over Windows (it was cheaper to develop for Linux at the time). The agency owner had told me they were planning on unveiling the platform during an ATA conference (I presume the 2001 conference in LA) but it didn't happen because the platform wasn't ready. Marketplace 1 and new unknown platform 0. That was a marketing opportunity they missed.

The agency continued to put money into this project until it closed it (or aborted it, I am not sure) years later. How the German investor feels about it is anyone's guess.

Why the story? Because it proves a point: it is expensive to run a software company in a saturated marketplace with a de facto leader (SDL Trados). But the ascendancy of memoQ and smaller players calls this into question: SDL Trados is a major player but not the leader anymore, in my opinion.

From my experience with Atril, they offer very good support for the lifetime of their products. I never had to pay for a support plan to get an answer or help. Etienne (from Atril) has answered my questions and proposed workable solutions. I've been using Déjà Vu products since 1999. The tool is suitable for 90% of my projects because I tend to use the tool that fits the project's profile, not the other way around.

I never heard anyone at Atril (and I've met them personally at ATA conferences) say, verbally or in writing, that their products are flawless. Judging a company to be semiprofessional or its product to be subpar based on unhappy experiences with customer support shows an incomplete picture which some would consider not quite reliable.

[Edited at 2017-09-18 12:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-18 13:12 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:37
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Clarification Sep 18, 2017

Matthias Brombach wrote:
A good example regarding this would be CafeTran with their regular and interesting CAT related contributions in this forum via their proz member "CafeTran Training".

As far as I know, "Cafetran Training" is not an official CafeTran employee nor an official representative. He's a user who claimed the title "Cafetran Training", and that's all there is to it.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm unable to open Dejavu x2 and Dejavu x3

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »