Websites - is it worth having one?
Thread poster: Sonia Rowland
Sonia Rowland
Sonia Rowland
Local time: 14:40
German to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2001

Just starting out as a freelance translator, I was considering having a website to \'broaden my exposure\'. If I advertise in the yellow pages and call myself something like \'AA Translations\', I can be fairly certain to be close to the top of the page. How can I guarantee to be one of the first to come up in a search engine? Any computer buffs out there who can help?

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2001

Sonia,

The most essential thing to do if you want your Web site to appear in the first five results of a search engine is KEYWORD (or even the first result). The title of your site (in the HTML body) should be what you think your potential client will type into the search window. For example, client X is looking for an English translation of a German text. You\'d assume he or she will type \"German\" and \"translation\" (or \"German translation\" or \"translation\" and \"Ger
... See more
Sonia,

The most essential thing to do if you want your Web site to appear in the first five results of a search engine is KEYWORD (or even the first result). The title of your site (in the HTML body) should be what you think your potential client will type into the search window. For example, client X is looking for an English translation of a German text. You\'d assume he or she will type \"German\" and \"translation\" (or \"German translation\" or \"translation\" and \"German to English\").

Figure out what that all-encompassing phrase could be that will cover most permutations of what you\'re offering. Then put that phrase right on top or near the top of the first page of your site.

Cool sounding names or titles that bear the proper name of the translator usually do not come up among the first results because no one will ever dream of typing \"XXX Translations\" in a search engine unless that person has heard of it.

Henry can tell you more about the particulars...just my two cents (actually doing it myself right now).

You can also hire people to do it for you. Not very complicated.
Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2001

I fully agree - having your own website is the best you can do (in combination with other advertising channels such as Yellow Pages, directories, etc.).

Getting to the top is not the most important thing for you right now, because you are just starting out, and you will have to earn your \"credentials\" (professional references, list of previous translation work, etc.) first - this is what potential clients will be interested in, not the ranking of your website.

... See more
I fully agree - having your own website is the best you can do (in combination with other advertising channels such as Yellow Pages, directories, etc.).

Getting to the top is not the most important thing for you right now, because you are just starting out, and you will have to earn your \"credentials\" (professional references, list of previous translation work, etc.) first - this is what potential clients will be interested in, not the ranking of your website.

So, creating your own ProZ profile and bidding on jobs (and hopefully landing jobs) is the first step in the right direction. Good Luck!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-08 11:11 ]
Collapse

Sonia Rowland
Sonia Rowland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 10, 2001

Sorry to sound so green - as I learnt my languages in \'real life\' instead of some university, I lack the necessary contacts.

So, could you please give me some pointers as to what you mean by \'directories\'.

Thanks as lot for your help,

Sonia.

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2001

Well, there are several business directories as well as special directories for translators:

- ProZ

- Aquarius (and several other Internet directories

- the directories of translators\' associations (such as ATA, ITI, IoL, BDÜ, etc.)

Starting out is never easy. That\'s why I have always said that it\'s best to undergo formalized translation training (at a college or university) because this is still the best way of establi
... See more
Well, there are several business directories as well as special directories for translators:

- ProZ

- Aquarius (and several other Internet directories

- the directories of translators\' associations (such as ATA, ITI, IoL, BDÜ, etc.)

Starting out is never easy. That\'s why I have always said that it\'s best to undergo formalized translation training (at a college or university) because this is still the best way of establishing a personal network of contacts within the translation industry (and these contacts and ties will last a lifetime!)
Collapse

Blanca Rodriguez
Blanca Rodriguez
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2001

Hi Sonia

Werner is right, you would be amazed if you knew how many directories can be found on the Internet. Some are more active and some are less. Actually Proz is one of the best ones.

I have a list of interesting links at my website (with several directories, among others), so feel free to visit it: www.terra.es/personal3/bl.rod
[addsig]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My website Apr 14, 2010

I have been considering having my website for some time now, but so far have been put off by the costs involved. I know there are some free site builders available but I do not consider myself computer-literate enough to try it out.

I agree that a website is important but not to start with. Word of mouth would appear to be the best way to get work, as even the jobs on ProZ are very few (especially if you are not a member) and rates tend to be low.

If anyone knows of a f
... See more
I have been considering having my website for some time now, but so far have been put off by the costs involved. I know there are some free site builders available but I do not consider myself computer-literate enough to try it out.

I agree that a website is important but not to start with. Word of mouth would appear to be the best way to get work, as even the jobs on ProZ are very few (especially if you are not a member) and rates tend to be low.

If anyone knows of a free site-building program which is VERY user-friendly and understandable to a "computer dummy" please post here.
Collapse

Valeria Sciarrillo
Valeria Sciarrillo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Free website builder Apr 15, 2010

Try wix.com it's fast, professional-looking, and really easy to use. I have my own small website on wix, so just ask if you need help!

Valeria

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Free website templates Apr 20, 2010

Hi Paul,
perhaps you could download some of the CSS-based website templates (e.g. from www.freecsstemplates.org) and some free HTML editor (e.g. http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor) and play with the content a little.
Basically, all you need to do is to replace the dummy "Lorem ipsum..." text wit
... See more
Hi Paul,
perhaps you could download some of the CSS-based website templates (e.g. from www.freecsstemplates.org) and some free HTML editor (e.g. http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor) and play with the content a little.
Basically, all you need to do is to replace the dummy "Lorem ipsum..." text with some information about yourself and the services you offer.
It's really easy: if you can work with a text editor, you can basically work with an HTML editor just as well.
I hope it helps.
Collapse

Bruno Marmier
Bruno Marmier  Identity Verified
Spanish to French
+ ...
You can use a CMS Apr 20, 2010

Hi,

You can also considerer using a CMS (Content management system) to build your website.

Most basic hosting services offers a CMS easy installation, with template management which allows you to play a little with the design.

You can budget about 60 $/year for that.

Of course, a the beginning it can be time consuming.

Regards

Bruno

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:40
Turkish to English
+ ...
HTML is simple Apr 20, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

If anyone knows of a free site-building program which is VERY user-friendly and understandable to a "computer dummy" please post here.

I constructed my own website in basic HTML coding, and maintain it myself. HTML is not difficult. You can easily find sources of information through Google. An individual translator does not need a very complex website.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Swedish to English
+ ...
Only partially true Apr 20, 2010

Tim Drayton wrote:

HTML is simple

I constructed my own website in basic HTML coding, and maintain it myself. HTML is not difficult. You can easily find sources of information through Google. An individual translator does not need a very complex website.

In 2001, when this thread was started, knowledge of a the basics of HTML (4 and XHTML in those days) might have been enough. But even in those distant days, a basic knowledge of CSS was also needed as styling HTML tags and attributes were fast becoming "deprecated". The generally consensus was, and is, to separate style from content. You can do this either by adding CSS styles to your HTML file, or preferably, by using one or more separate CSS files. And nowadays, you should also keep an eye on HTML5 as all recent web browsers have partially implemented this standard.

Using only a bit of HTML for a website is on the level of asking your teenage nephew with a few years' French lessons to translate a document. Great if all you want is something to show family and friends, not so great if you intend to use it for selling/marketing purposes. The result is likely to end up on page 73 in Google results and no amount of SEO will rescue it. Even if the site is likely to be fast to download (due to lack of code), I doubt it will be rated very high by Google's new search engine offering Caffeine which supposably gives great emphasis to speed.

Unless you want to spend a substantial amount of time learning the ins and outs of HTML and CSS (and maybe basic JavaScript)*, I suggest you either:

• call in the professionals
  • use templates supplied by your website host
  • use templates provided by Wordpress or similar (not just for blogs)

*And that's just for a very basic site. If you want any kind of interactively, for example collecting data from a form potential clients fill in, you need to add server side script, for example PHP, as well as build a basic database with MySQL or similar.

[Edited at 2010-04-20 10:53 GMT]

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Website for small business Apr 20, 2010

Hello,

Free website can be created also with http://www.yola.com/
It's very easy to create and it has some nice tools.

Good luck!
Ann

solange trad
solange trad
Portuguese
+ ...
using free tools to advertise your "professional service" Apr 20, 2010

This thread is the equivalent to a discussion on a web developers' forum about how to get free translations.

Jem Walker

elzbieta jatowt
elzbieta jatowt  Identity Verified
France
French to Polish
+ ...
KompoZer Apr 20, 2010

Hi Paul,

You can try the KompoZer: http://www.kompozer.net/download.php
I did my website with it and I can answer to all your questions.

Franela

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Websites - is it worth having one?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »