Google API Access Count and Pricing w/OmegaT
Thread poster: flz_watari
flz_watari
flz_watari
Japan
May 30, 2017

I was curious about one aspect of using the Google Translation API, which I did not find discussed in the documentation. In particular, I am wondering how many times the API gets accessed when performing a translation using OmegaT, and especially, if one returns to segments that have already been translated (for example, should one be perusing through a project and check back on an already translated segment), will the API be accessed again in that case (with whatever charges applied)? Or does O... See more
I was curious about one aspect of using the Google Translation API, which I did not find discussed in the documentation. In particular, I am wondering how many times the API gets accessed when performing a translation using OmegaT, and especially, if one returns to segments that have already been translated (for example, should one be perusing through a project and check back on an already translated segment), will the API be accessed again in that case (with whatever charges applied)? Or does OmegaT recognize that a particular segment is already translated, and hence not make a call to the API again (but simply show whatever the previous result was in the Machine Translation pane).

I tend to scroll through previously translated segments multiple times when translating, which I'm sure is quite common. I just want to make sure that I'm not being charged again each time I refer back to an already translated segment for which the Google API was accessed once before.
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:31
English to French
+ ...
Machine translation requests are cached May 30, 2017

flz_watari wrote:

I was curious about one aspect of using the Google Translation API, which I did not find discussed in the documentation. In particular, I am wondering how many times the API gets accessed when performing a translation using OmegaT, and especially, if one returns to segments that have already been translated (for example, should one be perusing through a project and check back on an already translated segment), will the API be accessed again in that case (with whatever charges applied)? Or does OmegaT recognize that a particular segment is already translated, and hence not make a call to the API again (but simply show whatever the previous result was in the Machine Translation pane).

I tend to scroll through previously translated segments multiple times when translating, which I'm sure is quite common. I just want to make sure that I'm not being charged again each time I refer back to an already translated segment for which the Google API was accessed once before.

Machine translation requests are cached. That means that a source segment already machine translated will not be requested again during
the same session (i.e., until OmegaT is closed).

For segments already translated (manually), it's up to you to send them or not to the machine translation engine, with the "Untranslated segments only" checkbox.

Didier

flz_watari
flz_watari
Japan
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You May 31, 2017

Machine translation requests are cached. That means that a source segment already machine translated will not be requested again during

For segments already translated (manually), it's up to you to send them or not to the machine translation engine, with the "Untranslated segments only" checkbox.

-----

That's great, thanks! It seems like the "untranslated segments only" item should simply remain checked
... See more

-----

That's great, thanks! It seems like the "untranslated segments only" item should simply remain checked at all times.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Google API Access Count and Pricing w/OmegaT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »