ElenaCM (X)
ElenaCM (X)
Local time: 18:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
Updated to Windows 10 and Studio 2014 working OK Aug 20, 2015

ElenaCM wrote:

Carlos Rangel wrote:

I could not start Trados 2014 under Window 10 too.

Error message.

Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService' could not be started.

I am downloading right now W10 and I was about to upgrade as I have seen a few people reporting that Studio 2014 is working fine with W10. However, I am a little concerned after seeing that a bunch of people are encountering this problem.
I have googled it and it seems that this message was also reported as early as Studio 2009, so could any of you please try the fix from the knowledge base and let us know if it works?

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/2818.html

Cheers,

Elena

I just wanted to add that I have now updated to Windows 10 (it has taken about 1 hour) and Studio 2014 is working fine. No error message whatsoever for now.

Elena

ElenaCM (X)
ElenaCM (X)
French to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Freelance 2007 also working fine with Windows 10 Aug 31, 2015

ElenaCM wrote:

I just wanted to add that I have now updated to Windows 10 (it has taken about 1 hour) and Studio 2014 is working fine. No error message whatsoever for now.

Elena

To whomever may be wondering, just as an exra note, I am also still using for some things my good old SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, and it is also working just fine under Windows 10

Pascal Plissonneau
Pascal Plissonneau
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Trados 2007 Freelance: TagEditor isn't supported in Windows 10 Sep 7, 2015

Unfortunately, it seems that TagEditor (part of Trados 2007) doesn't work anymore in Windows 10. The Workbench works (also with Word), but when you open TagEditor it crashes.

[Edited at 2015-09-07 09:38 GMT]

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:37
English to Spanish
... Sep 7, 2015

Pascal Plissonneau wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems that TagEditor (part of Trados 2007) doesn't work anymore in Windows 10. The Workbench works (also with Word), but when you open TagEditor it crashes.

Have you tried running the program in compatibility mode?

1. On the "Start" menu, right click on the program name
2. On the context menu click on "Properties"
3. Click on the "Compatibility" tab
3. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" checkbox
4. Choose "Windows XP"

It might work!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
No problem here Sep 7, 2015

I don't use Workbench or TagEditor any more, but just to test I opened them both on my Windows 10 machine, translated a couple of lines in Tag Editor and saved the target. It all seemed to work fine.

If you have problems, though, I recommend updating to Studio 2015 instead of spending time getting an 8-year-old program to work in a 2015 environment.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
English to Arabic
Studio and Windows compatibility. Sep 8, 2015

As some are already aware-
SDL have announced the retirement of Studio 2009 upgrades-
http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/Studio-2009-upgrading.html
If you do not wish to benefit from the special upgrade pricing and continue to use Studio 2009 you may of course do so.
If you do de
... See more
As some are already aware-
SDL have announced the retirement of Studio 2009 upgrades-
http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/Studio-2009-upgrading.html
If you do not wish to benefit from the special upgrade pricing and continue to use Studio 2009 you may of course do so.
If you do decide to upgrade- you can keep (only applies to freelance users) both 2009 and 2015 on the same machine- Please ask if you need more info on this.

SDL continue to offer support for all 2011/2014 and 2015 users.

It is also widely known XP is no longer supported and soon Microsoft will also cease supporting VISTA. For further info please see the FAQ's
http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/faqs.html

Microsoft also offer different version of their MS Office suite, where- depending on the installer that is delivered with that particular version- some functionality is indeed missing-
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5013

Kr

SDL_Steve
Collapse

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:37
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
PC upgraded to Windows 10, and SDL Edit is suddenly resricted to 1000 words only Sep 15, 2015

Dear Colleagues,

About 2-3 months ago, I upgraded my Operating System in my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There's no problem so far with SDL Trados Studio 2014 after the upgrade. However, last night, each time I opened an .itd file in SDL Edit, a pop-up window appeared with the following texts:

"Software License not valid for use with this file and the word count is above 1000 words. You may continue to edit this file for evaluation purposes only but you will not be
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

About 2-3 months ago, I upgraded my Operating System in my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There's no problem so far with SDL Trados Studio 2014 after the upgrade. However, last night, each time I opened an .itd file in SDL Edit, a pop-up window appeared with the following texts:

"Software License not valid for use with this file and the word count is above 1000 words. You may continue to edit this file for evaluation purposes only but you will not be able to save your changes or update the Translation Memory database."

How to solve this problem? Could you please help?

Many thanks.

Kindest regards,
Verdi

[Edited at 2015-09-15 07:09 GMT]
Collapse

Pascal Plissonneau
Pascal Plissonneau
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Yes but... Sep 15, 2015

...two of my clients still want me to work with TagEditor (they send me highly formated files in this format). I do have Studio 2015, and I tried to import my TM to use it, but it made a big mess, plus I'm not sure if an export will deliver the correct TTX files (which I need to send back to my clients).

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

...I recommend updating to Studio 2015 instead of spending time getting an 8-year-old program to work in a 2015 environment

I don't use Workbench or TagEditor any more, but just to test I opened them both on my Windows 10 machine, translated a couple of lines in Tag Editor and saved the target. It all seemed to work fine.

If you have problems, though, I recommend updating to Studio 2015 instead of spending time getting an 8-year-old program to work in a 2015 environment.

Pascal Plissonneau
Pascal Plissonneau
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Compatibility mode Sep 15, 2015

Thanks Miguel! I think I already tried running the program in compatibility mode, and it didn't work, but I'm going to try again. Which Service Pack would you recommend? 2 or 3?
Another problem is the license: when I switched to Studio 2009, I retained a 2007 license, but this license can only be used on ONE computer. Therefore I had to uninstalll 2007 from my new (Windows 10) computer and reinstall it on my old computer (with Vista) where 2007 (and TagEditor) works. But my old PC is reall
... See more
Thanks Miguel! I think I already tried running the program in compatibility mode, and it didn't work, but I'm going to try again. Which Service Pack would you recommend? 2 or 3?
Another problem is the license: when I switched to Studio 2009, I retained a 2007 license, but this license can only be used on ONE computer. Therefore I had to uninstalll 2007 from my new (Windows 10) computer and reinstall it on my old computer (with Vista) where 2007 (and TagEditor) works. But my old PC is really slow... and I would rather do all my jobs on one computer, not two.

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Have you tried running the program in compatibility mode?

1. On the "Start" menu, right click on the program name
2. On the context menu click on "Properties"
3. Click on the "Compatibility" tab
3. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" checkbox
4. Choose "Windows XP"

It might work!
Collapse

Charles van der Heiden
Charles van der Heiden
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Windows 10 v. Multiterm desktop 2014 Nov 10, 2015

Windows 10 works fine with Studio 2014 with me, but not so for Multiterm 2014.
According to wikipedia this is due to:
SDL MultiTerm 2014 Desktop is a Unicode application and can therefore be used only on Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. SDL recommend at least a Pentium® IV-based computer with 1 GB RAM.[9]

starlinguk
starlinguk  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
Problems with 2015 Nov 16, 2015

I have 2015. I've had real problems with Windows 10 because:

Windows 10 makes certain folders read-only and it's impossible to write anything to them, even as administrator.
This meant I couldn't create return packages or new termbases. The first problem was fixed (with a LOT of trouble) by SDL support, and I managed to somehow fix the latter by "inheriting" folder permissions (I wish I could remember how, I'm having trouble with other folders too).

Windows 10 up
... See more

Windows 10 makes certain folders read-only and it's impossible to write anything to them, even as administrator.
This meant I couldn't create return packages or new termbases. The first problem was fixed (with a LOT of trouble) by SDL support, and I managed to somehow fix the latter by "inheriting" folder permissions (I wish I could remember how, I'm having trouble with other folders too).

Windows 10 updates and restarts automatically.
When I came back this morning (I'd put my computer to sleep the day before) Windows had updated and murdered Trados (which had been running when it shut down). It gave a parsing error about one of the project files and then refused to start up altogether. I managed to fix it by renaming that particular project file, but it had lost all the projects I'd finished previously (list of projects is empty).
But seriously, a corrupt project file should *not* prevent Trados from starting up altogether! Nightmare!

Anyway, to prevent that from happening, set Windows 10 so it doesn't restart when it's updated so you can close down running software first. Settings -> Update & Security -> Advanced options -> Notify to schedule restart.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have experienced similar problems with Windows 10 Nov 16, 2015

starlinguk wrote:

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. I have tried to install Windows 10 3 times, and each time certain folders were made read only, inluding the desktop, so I guess I will skip windows 10 altogether (even though Microsoft tries their best to push an upgrade on me), and wait for Windows 11 whenever it comes.
Roy

Dominik Langer
Dominik Langer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
So far no real issues Dec 5, 2015

Alright, Just wanted to put this into perspective.

I've made a clean install on a new system of Studio and Multiterm 2014. So far there have been NO issues. I was able to import all my user files, I can work as I was able to under Windows 7, I can do spell check, grammar checks, QA checks, no issues. Also no issues when creating return packages. Multiterm works fine as well. Convert works, I can create new term bases and open existing ones. No issues here either. So, rather happy.... See more
Alright, Just wanted to put this into perspective.

I've made a clean install on a new system of Studio and Multiterm 2014. So far there have been NO issues. I was able to import all my user files, I can work as I was able to under Windows 7, I can do spell check, grammar checks, QA checks, no issues. Also no issues when creating return packages. Multiterm works fine as well. Convert works, I can create new term bases and open existing ones. No issues here either. So, rather happy.

The only thing I have noticed were 2 crashes over the past 2 days. Nothing serious since we have autosave anyway and every translator worth the title uses WIP TMs..., but I somehow expected that since it ran phenomenally well under Windows 7 after the 1st or 2nd service update, which was surprising, given that it's an SDL product.

Passolo also seems to run well.

Others have also complained that Trados 2007 Workbench wouldn't work. That seems to be correct, but really that tool is really old and people need to go with the times at least a bit...argh. Also Tag Editor and the TM window still work on my system. SDLX works as well, so, everything really worked out rather well.

MAybe do a clean re-install if you have problems.
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:37
English to Spanish
... Dec 5, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

starlinguk wrote:

I have tried to install Windows 10 3 times, and each time certain folders were made read only, inluding the desktop...

To remove the "Read only" restriction:

1. Right click on the folder
  2. On the context menu, click on "Properties"
  3. Click on the "Security" tab
  4. Click on the "Edit" button
  5. Check the checkboxes under "Allow"
  6. Click on "OK"
  7. Click on "OK"

Good luck!

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know how to remove read-only but ... Dec 6, 2015

Miguel Carmona wrote:

To remove the "Read only" restriction:

1. Right click on the folder
  2. On the context menu, click on "Properties"
  3. Click on the "Security" tab
  4. Click on the "Edit" button
  5. Check the checkboxes under "Allow"
  6. Click on "OK"
  7. Click on "OK"

Good luck!

... problem is that I should not have to go through all the folders on my machine to have the read only removed. Not acceptable at all, so I prefer to stay away from the upgrade.

By the way, I also find that the ownership of the folders is removed (no owner at all of folders, which is not as it should be).

And I get the impression the read only status is creaping back again, so clearly there has been something wrong in my settings for Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 behaves more nicely, though I do experience that folders suddenly go read only, which I then have to correct. But the problem is much less pronounced here. I suspect it somehow has to do with Windows 10, though, although I don't know how that is.

Roy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10 v. Studio 2014/2015

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »