Hannah Keet
Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
German to English
+ ...
Jan 26, 2016

Hello all,

I'm currently using SDL Trados 2011 on Windows 10 and my client is having issues opening and processing my translation at their end. The error in question is:

"The file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (WordprocessingML v. 2). The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable: -Saving -Verification -QuickTags -Preview"

Any ideas on how to fix this without paying hundreds of pounds to upgrade
... See more
Hello all,

I'm currently using SDL Trados 2011 on Windows 10 and my client is having issues opening and processing my translation at their end. The error in question is:

"The file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (WordprocessingML v. 2). The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable: -Saving -Verification -QuickTags -Preview"

Any ideas on how to fix this without paying hundreds of pounds to upgrade to SDL Trados 2015?
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:48
French to German
+ ...
You still can translate the file Jan 26, 2016

Hannah

The message indicates that the bilingual SDLXLIFF file was created with Studio 2015 using the latest Word filter (WordProcessing ML).
Any previous version of Studio can open such a file and translate it, but you cannot do any preview or save as target (as the warning issued by Studio clearly states). This is normal behavior because the new filter contains new features which were not available in the previous versions of Studio.

These restrictions however do
... See more
Hannah

The message indicates that the bilingual SDLXLIFF file was created with Studio 2015 using the latest Word filter (WordProcessing ML).
Any previous version of Studio can open such a file and translate it, but you cannot do any preview or save as target (as the warning issued by Studio clearly states). This is normal behavior because the new filter contains new features which were not available in the previous versions of Studio.

These restrictions however do not prevent you from achieving the wanted result because the person who created the SDLXLIFF (in 2015) can open the translated SDLXLIFF you send him and save as target.

Walter
Collapse

Hannah Keet
Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 27, 2016

Thank you for your response, Walter.

You're right, I had no problems translating the file at my end. I sent the file back to the agency, unaware that there would be a problem, and got a response from the PM bringing my attention to the error and the fact that the file's functionality is limited as a result. They said I should contact SDL Support should it happen again.

So I opened a live chat with the SDL Customer Experience Desk to resolve the problem now and they sent
... See more

You're right, I had no problems translating the file at my end. I sent the file back to the agency, unaware that there would be a problem, and got a response from the PM bringing my attention to the error and the fact that the file's functionality is limited as a result. They said I should contact SDL Support should it happen again.

So I opened a live chat with the SDL Customer Experience Desk to resolve the problem now and they sent the following information (in case anybody else has a similar problem): http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:8248.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
No need to contact support as it is not a bug Jan 28, 2016

Hannah Keet wrote:

So I opened a live chat with the SDL Customer Experience Desk to resolve the problem now and they sent the following information (in case anybody else has a similar problem): http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:8248.

Why should you contact SDL support? This is not a bug, but expected behavior as I described if someone with a lower version of Studio receives a SDLXLIFF file generated with the new ML Wordprocessing filter available since Studio 2015.
The workaround is that the creator of the package (or SDLXLIFF) uses the standard Word filter instead. Actually this new filter is not yet activated by default in the current version of Studio 2015, which means someone must have manually activated it, otherwise you would not have had this problem.

Walter

George May (X)
George May (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In these circumstances translation formatting features are restricted Dec 3, 2016

I use Studio 2011 SP2R and I, too, have experienced this 'error' message. One result of this apparent incompatibility is that it is not possible to introduce various formatting features, e.g. italics, emboldening, subscripting... in the translation. I'd like to hear if anyone has found a workaround for this.

Danuta Michelsen
Danuta Michelsen  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Has anyone found a solution for this problem? May 3, 2017

I work with Trados Studio 2015 and I have come across the same problem.

Has anyone of you found a solution for it?

Danuta

Natalia Postrigan
Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same Jun 23, 2017

I have the same issue, and I am also using Studio 2015. A client keeps sending my ppx files that show as a Reference, and I can't convert them into Translatable because of this error. I can still translate them, and later the label automatically changes to Translated, but the error also shows in QA.

trados

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error in SDL Trados 2011: WordprocessingML v. 2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »