SDL Trados Studio 2017 and real-time preview
Thread poster: dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2017

I have SDL Trados 2017. What Microsoft Office version is needed for the real-time preview to work?

Thanks in advance!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 22:22
Italian to German
+ ...
All versions from 2003 AFAIK Jan 9, 2017

Live preview only works with MS Office docs, I can confirm the 2007-2013 works with Studio 2017.

Mike

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about Microsoft Office 2016 - Home & Business? Jan 9, 2017

Thanks, Mike. Would Microsoft Office 2016 - Home & Business be OK?

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Most likely, because... Jan 9, 2017

... because the MS Word file type (as an example) is named 'Word 2007-2016', so it would mean MS Office 2016 files can be imported. Same for the Excel and PowerPoint file type. I cannot confirm it because I only have the MS Office 2013 version, but this naming wouldn't make any sense if it's not supported.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-09 20:04 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:22
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Office 2016 may or may not work Jan 9, 2017

Office 2016 may or may not work, depending on what you want to accomplish. Specifically:

• The so-called "embedded preview" does not work.

• External preview, the one that launches Word and updates your document as you translate, works.

• HTML preview also works, and is also getting updated as you translate.

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Embedded preview Jan 10, 2017

This is exactly what I meant. Which Office version is needed for the embedded preview to work with SDL Trados Studio 2017?

Amanda Fearnley
Amanda Fearnley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Following Feb 17, 2017

I am also interested in the answer to dropinka's question... My embedded (real-time) preview is not working for Office 2013 Home and Student. It would be great to have a list of all of the versions it does work for.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Blog post on Studio and real-time previews Feb 17, 2017

dropinka wrote:

Which Office version is needed for the embedded preview to work with SDL Trados Studio 2017?

Any version of MS Office 2007 and since then, any download that comes with the MSI installer (only Enterprise versions nowadays).

However, the real-time preview works in a separate Word window (post applies to Studio 2017 too):
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/12/29/preview/

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:22
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Speed? May 27, 2017

Hello

I use preview for reviewing. But it’s kind of slow, whenever a change is made, it takes a while for Trados to become responsive again, and another while for current segment to be highlighted in the preview.

Also, it seems that even after the file is closed in Trados, some residual Word processes remain running, so often a restart is needed, especially if a large number of changes are made during review.

Am I doing something wrong? Could I configure
... See more
Hello

I use preview for reviewing. But it’s kind of slow, whenever a change is made, it takes a while for Trados to become responsive again, and another while for current segment to be highlighted in the preview.

Also, it seems that even after the file is closed in Trados, some residual Word processes remain running, so often a restart is needed, especially if a large number of changes are made during review.

Am I doing something wrong? Could I configure something differently to fix these issues?

Thanks, Pavel
Collapse

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
So what's up? Jul 6, 2018

So, what's up with the Embedded view? Just bought a genuine Trados 2017 today, have a genuine Office 2016, and can't embedded-view any Word file whatsoever? Is it actually NOT SUPPORTED? What on earth is this? The HTML view is pretty much useless (messes a lot of formatting), just as it is in MemoQ. And making a button in the preview window for generating an external preview is an insult to any thinking individual's intelligence. Trados 2011 was perfect in this regard, and I bought 2017 ONLY to ... See more
So, what's up with the Embedded view? Just bought a genuine Trados 2017 today, have a genuine Office 2016, and can't embedded-view any Word file whatsoever? Is it actually NOT SUPPORTED? What on earth is this? The HTML view is pretty much useless (messes a lot of formatting), just as it is in MemoQ. And making a button in the preview window for generating an external preview is an insult to any thinking individual's intelligence. Trados 2011 was perfect in this regard, and I bought 2017 ONLY to support recent Office files properly and DeepL.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 and real-time preview

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »