Livia D'Amore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:25
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
May 21, 2017

Good evening,
it there anyone who doesn't type translations but dictates them?
If so, which software do you use? Where can I find it and how much does it costs?
Thank you in advance

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dictation software: Dragon NaturalSpeaking v 12 or v 13 May 21, 2017

Livia D'Amore wrote:

Good evening,
If so, which software do you use? Where can I find it and how much does it costs?
Thank you in advance

Hi, Livia,

I've been using dictation software (Dragon NS) for a few years mostly for transcriptions: I read the source text (Spanish) to translate it later (English). I've done it the other way around.

It cost me about 140 dollars to buy the premium version (English and Spanish). I am assuming they have your languages, but the newest version cost above 200 dollars.

Cheers!

Livia D'Amore
Italy
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 22, 2017

Thanks a lot for you suggestion. There is also a version for Italian....I think I'll buy it. Thank you again.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mac solution May 22, 2017

Livia D'Amore wrote:

Good evening,
Thank you in advance

I use Mac dictation all the time. It costs nothing. It's incorporated into the MacOS (and for that reason, unlike third-party applications, it is very precisely interfaced with the other parts of the operating system). I have been told it works better than Dragon (which I've never tried). It covers dozens of different languages. The important thing is to have a good-quality microphone. It gets better and better the more you use it. I mainly use it in English and Italian.

[Edited at 2017-05-22 07:03 GMT]

Livia D'Amore
Italy
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great May 22, 2017

Ah ok, I really don't know anything about this topic, but as I won't be able to use my hands for a while, I need a tool to dictate translations in order to continue may work. I'll have a look at this program, too. Thank you for the information.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon for me May 22, 2017

Like Mario, I've been using Dragon Naturally Speaking version 13.0 for a few years now. It occasionally struggles with my accent and certain words, but in general it works fine and saves a lot of wear-and-tear on my wrists and back etc.

I know there is apparently a dictation function along with the Windows/Microsoft office package, but I lost any confidence I had in Microsoft "innovations" many years ago, so I prefer to use my Dragon (warts and all). Now if I could only get it to w
... See more
Like Mario, I've been using Dragon Naturally Speaking version 13.0 for a few years now. It occasionally struggles with my accent and certain words, but in general it works fine and saves a lot of wear-and-tear on my wrists and back etc.

I know there is apparently a dictation function along with the Windows/Microsoft office package, but I lost any confidence I had in Microsoft "innovations" many years ago, so I prefer to use my Dragon (warts and all). Now if I could only get it to write "Next" at the start of a sentence, I'd be happy. As it stands, I usually end up having to shout at it "Please write the word next", whereupon as if by magic it writes that whole sentence.

I still haven't programmed it to write "etc." when I say et cetera, because it forces me to stop and decide whether I want to leave it. I translate from Spanish and a lot of authors have this terrible habit of producing great long sentences that tail off into a list ending in ... or "etc."

[Edited at 2017-05-22 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:25
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Speechnotes extension plus Google Chrome May 22, 2017

You can try and save a pretty penny by installing a Google Chrome browser extension called Speechnotes and use it in Google Chrome browser in order to speak your text instead of typing it. Speechnotes is a nice free app that works in Google Chrome browser. It's available at the link.

So, what you need to do is to go to Google Chrome
... See more
You can try and save a pretty penny by installing a Google Chrome browser extension called Speechnotes and use it in Google Chrome browser in order to speak your text instead of typing it. Speechnotes is a nice free app that works in Google Chrome browser. It's available at the link.

So, what you need to do is to go to Google Chrome Webstore at the following link and to install Speechnotes that allows you to speak your text into any text field on any website and that includes any online CAT-tools such as Wordfast Anywhere, SmartCAT, XTM, Memsource, etc., in other words, any online CAT-tool that works in Google Chrome browser. The Chrome extension recognizes many languages and it's a shareware app that after the trial period will ask you to pay a certain amount.

As a matter of fact, I'm speaking this text not typing it.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Struggling May 22, 2017

neilmac wrote:

I know there is apparently a dictation function along with the Windows/Microsoft office package, but I lost any confidence I had in Microsoft "innovations" many years ago, so I prefer to use my Dragon (warts and all). Now if I could only get it to write "Next" at the start of a sentence, I'd be happy. As it stands, I usually end up having to shout at it "Please write the word next", whereupon as if by magic it writes that whole sentence.

I still haven't programmed it to write "etc." when I say et cetera, because it forces me to stop and decide whether I want to leave it. I translate from Spanish and a lot of authors have this terrible habit of producing great long sentences that tail off into a list ending in ... or "etc."

[Edited at 2017-05-22 11:10 GMT]

Like Neilmac, I'm no stranger to struggling with Dragon to understand my acento cordobés.

Livia D'Amore
Italy
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!! May 22, 2017

Thank you all very much. In the next days I'll try out and decide which solution suits me best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vocal translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »