Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:32
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
May 18, 2017

I have been trying to add a folder as a reference material for projects under Administration->Settings->Reference material->Add folder..., but transit wouldn't let me. In the selection window transit forces me to click "open" again and again until I reach the file level. Identical to choosing a single file as reference. I am using Transit NXT Freelance.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it due to the version I am using?

Thank you.

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
You're probably doing it right May 22, 2017

Hi,

for whatever reason, some processes in Transit are a bit confusing. You do indeed have to click on "open" when you reach the single file level. Just make sure not to select one of the shown single files, and your complete folder will be added as reference material.

HTH
Iris

Make sure... no longer necessary May 22, 2017

Indeed, some things are strange, but:

Since some Service Packs ago, you no longer need "to make sure not to select one of the shown single files".
If you have selected a single file (by accident) and click "open", Transit will replace your selection in the "file" field by *.*. If you click "open" again, you have successfully selected the folder with all its files.
In other words: Click "open" once or twice until the folder selection windows closes...
See more
Indeed, some things are strange, but:

Since some Service Packs ago, you no longer need "to make sure not to select one of the shown single files".
If you have selected a single file (by accident) and click "open", Transit will replace your selection in the "file" field by *.*. If you click "open" again, you have successfully selected the folder with all its files.
In other words: Click "open" once or twice until the folder selection windows closes.

Best regards,

O.N.
Collapse

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved, Thank you May 23, 2017

Iris, your suggestion works. It is indeed a strange way of doing things, but as long as it works...
@Oiseau, thank you, your method works well for selecting all files within a sub-folder, it does not let me though choose a folder with its sub-folders (unless the root folder contains also single files, and not only folders).

[Edited at 2017-05-23 07:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-23 07:36 GMT]

Subfolders are included May 23, 2017

AFAIK all subfolders are included automatically.
At least that is the case with my Transit SP9: When I choose and confirm a parent folder, all its sub- and subsub- and subsubsub...-folders are listed in the "reference material" tab of the project settings (i.e. can be seen by clicking on the plus sign beside the parent folder name.

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Order of reference material May 24, 2017

Hi,
Oiseau noir is right AFAIK.

As I once learned in one of STAR's webinars, you can also set search preferences through the order of your reference material: The one on top has the most important priority, will be searched first, and its results will be displayed first. For this, it might also make sense to choose a subfolder with higher priority as first order reference materal, and then set another folder containing this subfolder as another reference material folder under
... See more
Hi,
Oiseau noir is right AFAIK.

As I once learned in one of STAR's webinars, you can also set search preferences through the order of your reference material: The one on top has the most important priority, will be searched first, and its results will be displayed first. For this, it might also make sense to choose a subfolder with higher priority as first order reference materal, and then set another folder containing this subfolder as another reference material folder underneath. Thus, the subfolder will be searched first, before searching the more extensive reference material, and the results will be displayed first without being displayed a second time as results of the rest of the reference material (does this explanation make sense?).

HTH
Iris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding folder as reference Transit NXT not working

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »