Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about a price range? Apr 21, 2018

You could bid using a range like 0.12 - 0.14 depending on the subject and match grid. We should not settle on any price until we have evaluated the job. I usually state a total price or a basic word rate excluding 100% reps, not other reductions. Just to keep it simple.

After all a 75 % match can be complete nonsense. Last week I laughed when looking at such a match from my TM. The match was from 2006 and had absolutely nothing to to with the source segment except perhaps two words.
... See more
You could bid using a range like 0.12 - 0.14 depending on the subject and match grid. We should not settle on any price until we have evaluated the job. I usually state a total price or a basic word rate excluding 100% reps, not other reductions. Just to keep it simple.

After all a 75 % match can be complete nonsense. Last week I laughed when looking at such a match from my TM. The match was from 2006 and had absolutely nothing to to with the source segment except perhaps two words.

So I let my customers pay fully also for 99% matches. Why not?
Collapse

Nikolaus Weimann
Nikolaus Weimann
France
Local time: 16:21
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Opionion Apr 21, 2018

I think it is quiete a ridiculous practice to require rebates for CAT repetitions or only pay new words. Some agencies even only pay new words! We as translators have to spend a lot of money on the translation memory programs (on average around 700 Euro) and that is rather in the view of increasing productivity and income and not to have lower prices than without the CAT tool. If we accept the CAT discount we end up with ridiculouosly low incomes. Also the discount scales don't really reflec... See more
I think it is quiete a ridiculous practice to require rebates for CAT repetitions or only pay new words. Some agencies even only pay new words! We as translators have to spend a lot of money on the translation memory programs (on average around 700 Euro) and that is rather in the view of increasing productivity and income and not to have lower prices than without the CAT tool. If we accept the CAT discount we end up with ridiculouosly low incomes. Also the discount scales don't really reflect the time savings.[

quote]Baran Keki wrote:

I know this topic has been discussed here many times before, but having gone through the previous forum topics regarding rates and CAT tool grids I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to my question:
When you bid for a job or are approached by an agency do you give your rate based on a previously calculated CAT tool grid (fuzzy matches, repetitions etc.) even before the agency/client asks for a certain CAT tool grid that they, unbeknownst to you, apply?
Are CAT tool discounts a part and parcel of a freelance translator's rate that should be factored into when determining one's rate or are they something to be considered only when asked by the client?
I have been asked to provide my 'best' rate by a number of agencies and, having done so, asked to 'accept' their CAT tool grids (for instance 50% discount for 75% to 94% matches).
What is the most sensible strategy? Should I give them an inflated psw rate to preempt any potential CAT tool grid (or should I say 'trick')? [/quote]
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:21
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Unrealistic Apr 21, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You could bid using a range like 0.12 - 0.14 depending on the subject and match grid. We should not settle on any price until we have evaluated the job.

Unfortunately the range you suggest is highly unrealistic for my language pair in a bidding situation given the enormous number of 'bottom feeders' (I'm loath to call my fellow colleagues that, but, in all honesty, I can't think of a better word to describe a person who accepts 3 or 4 cents irrespective of their country's economic conditions) vying for a limited number of jobs.
But, it looks like placing such low bids has its downside as well, since the agencies tend to 'dictate' their grids after learning your rates.
Do you know what the PM of the translation agency, which originally led me to post this topic, told me? She said (after giving her a fairly reasonable rate without prior knowledge of their outrageous CAT tool grid): "Your rate is already high enough for the Turkish market".
I mean what the bloody hell do you know about the Turkish market? Are these blood sucking vultures doing a market research in every goddamn country?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:21
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sneaky and rude Apr 21, 2018

Hi Baran,

Baran Keki wrote:

This happened to me before while bidding for a job here on Proz. I was contacted by an Eastern European agency months after placing my bid (which was even more 'reasonable') telling me that I got the job (which was about 6.000 words or so) they sent me an NDA to sign and told me that they were applying the 'following Trados grid'. I said I wasn't aware they were applying a 'Trados grid' when they advertised the job. The man's answer was: "Now you know". I kindly told him to 'shove his job...'

Well done. This person was anything but professional, and quite rude. Who knows how this type of person/agency will behave when it comes to paying invoices.

Baran Keki wrote:
I am kind of getting paranoid now. When an agency would ask me my rate, I'd give them the straight dope, now I think I'll have to increase my rate to compensate for potential CAT tool discounts and avoid getting into further negotiations and having other headaches.

And you should give them the rate you see fit and not just accept the crumbs they're offering. You also have the option to scratch/delete anything in the NDA or contract that you can't agree to, e. g. the CAT discounts. Just point it out to the agency that you did so, and make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

The translation industry seems to be the only business where customers dictate the price. This is very sad.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates and CAT tool discounts

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »