Thread poster: Michael Moskowitz
Michael Moskowitz
Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2018

After 30 days of solid work, amounting to thousands of US$, I just realized that all this work went to scammer, pretending to be Valery Afanasyev of GEF Translations.
I know, I should have been much more vigilant, but he/she/they (who knows?) kept me so busy with the 30-day payment promise, I had no time to check it out.
And would have been so easy: simply compare the domain name, geftranslations.ru, used by the scammer vs. geftranslations.com of the real agency.

Reading
... See more
After 30 days of solid work, amounting to thousands of US$, I just realized that all this work went to scammer, pretending to be Valery Afanasyev of GEF Translations.
I know, I should have been much more vigilant, but he/she/they (who knows?) kept me so busy with the 30-day payment promise, I had no time to check it out.
And would have been so easy: simply compare the domain name, geftranslations.ru, used by the scammer vs. geftranslations.com of the real agency.

Reading other posts now, I see that he/she/they have been around for a while. So, I'm wondering why has the real GEF not taken the matter to the authorities. This is definitely damaging their business.

Look out for this scammer, let's deprive him of our work, maybe he'll switch fields.
Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Caveat Emptor! Jul 14, 2018

Dear duped Michael,

First, you obviously failed to do very your homework for starting translation with an unknown client obviously failed to do very your homework for starting translation with an unknown client without a PO/contract.

Second, modern phishing is so easy at fingertip--even a teen can do it just for fun, why believing BS?

Third, now artists take spamming software to kill another simpleton while working in groups at a quick pace--literally there're can be zillions of fake clients/identity thieves, making any refutation and exposing but impossible.

Fourth, there's a reaction to every action and reaction, so why shamefully shifting the burden of proof?

Fifth, in some countries swindlers and fraudsters often con at large and even can come at your place to teach you a couple of lessons, why?

CONCLUSION: Stop lamenting over your missed due diligence
Collapse

Walter Landesman

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:06
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Michael Jul 14, 2018

I am really sorry to hear this, but aren't you at least following the 'scams' forum? Don't you check the outsourcer if he approaches you for the first time?

There were several threads about the scammer, both here and in the RU forum:
... See more
I am really sorry to hear this, but aren't you at least following the 'scams' forum? Don't you check the outsourcer if he approaches you for the first time?

There were several threads about the scammer, both here and in the RU forum:
https://www.proz.com/topic/325105
https://www.proz.com/post/2732606#2732606 (and the whole thread in general)
https://www.proz.com/post/2732609#2732609 (and the whole thread in general)
https://www.proz.com/topic/324103

Natalia
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Gina Ferlisi

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Everyone: protect yourself Jul 14, 2018

Sorry you've been had in such an awful way .

For others:
- check out the ProZ.com Scam Centre
- read and use the Wiki on this site about Risk Management
- check out every new client, including checking out the possibility of a stolen identity. Easy to do: Google for contact name / company name / email address along wi
... See more
Sorry you've been had in such an awful way .

For others:
- check out the ProZ.com Scam Centre
- read and use the Wiki on this site about Risk Management
- check out every new client, including checking out the possibility of a stolen identity. Easy to do: Google for contact name / company name / email address along with "scam"

Even if I'm inclined to trust a new client, I normally want to see the colour of their money for a small job before I do a shed-load of work for them. Wouldn't a reputable company already have trusted suppliers for most of their work?
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dmytro Nehrii
Gina Ferlisi

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:06
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Live and learn Jul 14, 2018

The scammer who stole from you is scum.

Thieves hurt people and economies. And, I might add, they have a negative psychological effect on honest people.

I enjoy watching thieves get punished.

Peace, out.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sorry to hear about your experience Jul 15, 2018

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please check the threads shared by Natalie - the scam has been going on for a while. These people have also tried to contact me a few times.

Unfortunately, it is necessary nowadays to check those things - Proz.com, Facebook groups for translators etc. Recently, I was approached by someone pretending to work for a well-known company via a social media platform. I smelt a rat straight away so I did not proceed. Later, I rec
... See more
Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please check the threads shared by Natalie - the scam has been going on for a while. These people have also tried to contact me a few times.

Unfortunately, it is necessary nowadays to check those things - Proz.com, Facebook groups for translators etc. Recently, I was approached by someone pretending to work for a well-known company via a social media platform. I smelt a rat straight away so I did not proceed. Later, I received an email from a good friend a colleague who saw the person in question in my contacts, he confirmed that my suspicions were correct. A few weeks later I read a post in one of the Facebook groups for translators where our colleague shared their experience about the first time contact with a well-reputable company, and the text sounded very familiar, although the company's name was different. I warned them about my and my colleague's experience and hopefully, the scammer was not successful there.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duped by a scammer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »