Thread poster: Gregory Lassale
Alessandra Ogna Meza
Alessandra Ogna Meza
United States
Local time: 09:20
English to Italian
+ ...
Scam confirmed Aug 24, 2018

She did the same with me, with the difference I did not ask too many questions, I just asked for one quart of the payment in advance. She sent $10.000 in checks to my bank that stopped her immediately and confirmed checks were fraud. They usually send more money to have you send back the difference, and be accountable for that amount.

Vladimir Kolteniuk
Vladimir Kolteniuk  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Similar occasion Sep 24, 2018

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sarah [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.245.86.44
-----------

Hello,
I would like to know if you are available to translate a
document.
Thank you"

I failed to do my due diligence and confirmed my interest in the project and asked for more information. Of course, this is where it got ske
... See more
"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sarah [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.245.86.44
-----------

Hello,
I would like to know if you are available to translate a
document.
Thank you"

I failed to do my due diligence and confirmed my interest in the project and asked for more information. Of course, this is where it got sketchy. I received a poorly written 50 pages document written by some university student. The sender requested wire instructions to transfer an upfront fee (equating to 80% of the total cost). Thanks, but no thanks!

----------------------
Something very similar happened to me the other day. Only the name is Larissa Benz. Came via ProZ as above.
She only provided her telephone number, and suggested direct deposit as the method of payment. When I asked her about a check she agreed too. Upfront, implicitly.
And suggested that I ask more pay than I quoted!
Very good English though...
I'm going to turn her down, too fishy. No explanations, company, address, just a legitimately looking text in Russian to translate to English.

[Edited at 2018-09-25 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam alert

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »