Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:08
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
SDL should handle this differently Dec 8, 2015

This is not the first time we face this problem with a new Office release.

I actually remembered the ZIPX solution from one of those previous instances when we had to let Trados think it was opening an older version Word file. I can't remember which Office upgrade it was or which version of Trados, but the problem remained then until an SP release fixed it.

Now, the workaround of changing the Office file version to fool Trados reveals an interesting decision by SDL dev
... See more
This is not the first time we face this problem with a new Office release.

I actually remembered the ZIPX solution from one of those previous instances when we had to let Trados think it was opening an older version Word file. I can't remember which Office upgrade it was or which version of Trados, but the problem remained then until an SP release fixed it.

Now, the workaround of changing the Office file version to fool Trados reveals an interesting decision by SDL developers. Namely, there is no technical problem with handling the newer version of the Word or Excel file. It is probably a policy decision to be safe, or there may be deprecated features in the old Office release that Trados uses. However, if the latter is the case, we must be dealing with little used features, or ones that do not affect the main functionality.

For the above reasons, I strong suggest that instead of rejecting the newer Office file, SDL should just give a warning, even a strong disclaimer if they so choose, then continue normally. Technically it can.

I have been using large 2016 excel files with Trados 2014 for three days now, I have opened files for review, used Trados track changes, added comments and all sorts of things and I am about to send the translation to the client now. The question is, why did Trados try to stop me?
Collapse

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
Local time: 13:08
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Alaa Dec 8, 2015

Good questions. You should start a new topic in the relevant forum to try and get a response from SDL. They monitor these forums quite regularly and may be able to explain their decision.

Sylwia Jamor (X)
Sylwia Jamor (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:08
Polish to English
+ ...
this worked for me Mar 2, 2016

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

I use Studio 2014. Here is a workaround without rolling back to 2013.

The idea is to edit the document properties itself so that Studio thinks the document belongs to Office 2013. The following steps work for Word and Excel, the example uses a Word file called "example.docx":

** You need to have WinZip or a similar app that can open Zip archive files

1. Change the filename from "example.docx" to "example.docx.zipx"

2. Use WinZip to open the file "example.docx.zipx"

3. Inside the WinZip window, double-click the folder named "docProps".
-- WinZip displays 2 xml files (app.xml and core.xml)

4. Right-click the xml file "app.xml" and select "Open with>Notepad" (or any xml editor)
-- Notepad opens the xml file

5. Look for the following tag at the end of the file:

16.0000 (16.0300 for Excel)

6. Change the version to 15.0000 (or for Excel 15.0300), then save and close Notepad.
**Important: When WinZip asks, make sure you choose "Update Zip file with changes".

8. Save and close WinZip.

9. Change the filename back to "example.docx"

You can now use the file in Studio.

[Edited at 2015-12-06 20:37 GMT]

I used this procedure with WinRar, Studio 2014, Excel 2016 and it worked

Thank you!

Florian Betz
Florian Betz
Germany
Local time: 21:08
English to German
+ ...
does not work for Studio 2011 + Excel 2016 May 26, 2016

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

I use Studio 2014. Here is a workaround without rolling back to 2013.

The idea is to edit the document properties itself so that Studio thinks the document belongs to Office 2013. The following steps work for Word and Excel, the example uses a Word file called "example.docx":

** You need to have WinZip or a similar app that can open Zip archive files

1. Change the filename from "example.docx" to "example.docx.zipx"

2. Use WinZip to open the file "example.docx.zipx"

3. Inside the WinZip window, double-click the folder named "docProps".
-- WinZip displays 2 xml files (app.xml and core.xml)

4. Right-click the xml file "app.xml" and select "Open with>Notepad" (or any xml editor)
-- Notepad opens the xml file

5. Look for the following tag at the end of the file:

16.0000 (16.0300 for Excel)

6. Change the version to 15.0000 (or for Excel 15.0300), then save and close Notepad.
**Important: When WinZip asks, make sure you choose "Update Zip file with changes".

8. Save and close WinZip.

9. Change the filename back to "example.docx"

You can now use the file in Studio.

[Edited at 2015-12-06 20:37 GMT]

This works fine for 2016 docx files with Studio 2011 ---- but not for 2016 Excel files (xlsx).
I tried version number 15.0300, 15.0000 (to be safe), and 13.0000 (which is the version number I found in my "old" (2007) xlsx files. All failed on "pre-scanning":

pre-scanning failed to identify the file type, the following messages were generated:
pre-scanning error: invalid file format.

Any ideas [besides upgrading Studio]?

Luca Bonetto
Luca Bonetto  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
... or just save in Word as XML file Oct 10, 2016

I believe this should work and it's a lot simpler

Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:38
French to English
+ ...
It works fine Mar 21, 2018

I have been facing this problem since quite a while now and I just came across Alaa Zeineldine's post. It works like a charm for me. Thank you so much for this tip. Has been really helpful...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-scanning fails for Office 2016 docx files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »