Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 23, 2021

Hello

I'm a very occasional user of Trados. I've always wondered: is it possible to use glossaries (i.e. terminology recognition) in Trados without MultiTerm? If so, what is MultiTerm for, then? And also if so, how would one use glossaries in Trados?

Thanks
Samuel

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Glossaries in Trados Feb 23, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello

I'm a very occasional user of Trados. I've always wondered: is it possible to use glossaries (i.e. terminology recognition) in Trados without MultiTerm? If so, what is MultiTerm for, then? And also if so, how would one use glossaries in Trados?

Thanks
Samuel

Glossaries (Terminology database) requires Multiterm.

Well, Paul certainly knows much more about it than me...

[Edited at 2021-02-23 17:22 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Incorrect. Feb 23, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Glossaries (Terminology database) requires Multiterm.

You can create and use MultiTerm Glossaries in Trados Studio without having MultiTerm installed at all. You can also use other sources for glossaries if you have a plugin from the appstore to support it. For example, you an even use an Excel spreadsheet as the glossary file and read/write to it from Trados Studio... all without the use of Multiterm.

To answer Samuel... MultiTerm (which has been around longer than Trados CAT tools)... is essentially a tool designed for Terminologists and provides more features for building and maintaining termbases that have more complex structures than a simple glossary. Anyone can of course use it, but I think it's a well recorded discussion point that it can be too complex for the needs of most translators who just want a glossary. Hence the popularity of the Glossary Converter on the appstore.

And now, we also have terminology in Trados Live (Language Cloud) which allows you to create and manage glossaries, or more complex termbases, in the cloud and use them directly from Trados Studio or the online editor with Trados Live. This also doesn't require Multiterm.

I hope that explains a little.

Paul.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 11:01 GMT]

expressisverbis
Stanislav Pokorny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries in Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »