José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Reading glasses May 18, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

An ophthlmologist once told me (decades ago) that reading glasses are standardly focused at 14 inches. Strikes me that times have changed, now that we're using computer screens often located vertically at the back of desk, not pieces of paper located horizontally at the front of the desk.

Does anyone have experience with reading glasses specifically made for computer users?

I do.

I usually work with my eyes at 80-90 cm (32-36 in.) from the screen. So I use my [b]old[/i] reading glassed (as confirmed by the optometrist for this distance) for the computer, however I can't read small print with them. My reading glasses work best at half that distance.

For me, this is the #1 advantage of WordFast, having source and target on the same screen. Otherwise I'd need bifocals. (I don't need glasses for long distances, the local DMV confirms.)

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try a black desktop May 18, 2010

Hi Ahmed,

In a seminar a couple of years ago, Xosé Castro suggested using a black destop and it turned out to be a great piece of advice. I chose a black background for my email account. He mentioned that grey is second best for taking care of your eyes.

Wordeffect mentions large fonts... what I do is put the document at 120 or 130% its size. A good side effect of this that when you change the size back to 100% the document looks different, so you will probably see mi
... See more
Hi Ahmed,

In a seminar a couple of years ago, Xosé Castro suggested using a black destop and it turned out to be a great piece of advice. I chose a black background for my email account. He mentioned that grey is second best for taking care of your eyes.

Wordeffect mentions large fonts... what I do is put the document at 120 or 130% its size. A good side effect of this that when you change the size back to 100% the document looks different, so you will probably see mistakes that you hadn't noticed before. Changing the colour of the background has this same positive effect.

Off topic: Another suggestion (but this refers to your posture, not your eyes!) is to have a small footrest... I have a homemade inclined plane made from a shoe box and an old tray.

Best,

Collapse

Tokyo_Moscow
Tokyo_Moscow  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:49
Japanese to Russian
+ ...
Blueberry May 19, 2010

ahmed maher wrote:

By the way, thank you Tokyo_Moscow, but what is the blueberry or blackcurrant supplements?

Thanks,

Ahmed, actually you can try adding blueberry itself/blueberry jam or juice to your daily diet, but some tablets/extracts like below contain high concentrated anthocyanin that helps our eyes:
http://www.maisonradical.ca/Nouveau_Dossier/New_Nordic/Blue_Berry.htm
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin for more info.
I personally take blueberry and blackcurrant tablets everyday and feel that it helps and eyes are less affected. Also fresh berries and fruits will have the same effect, not easy to take everyday though. Hope that helps!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:49
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Pinhole glasses May 19, 2010

My ophthalmologist recommended them long time ago. I work in an office and can not wear them, but they are ideal for those who work at home.

I Don't have time to write more. See more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_glasses

And buy it only from opticians or pharmacies!

[Edited at 2010-05-19 07:08 GMT]

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Maaike! May 20, 2010

Thanks a lot for your information.
I installed the software that you recommended and it's working for me.
I no longer have sore eyes.

Greetings from Buenos Aires - Argentina

Graciela

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Eye Break Reminders May 27, 2010

Suzan Hamer wrote:

I've often noticed I get so lost in translating or editing that I forget to breathe or breathe very shallowly. I wonder if there isn't something you could download that every so often would remind you to breathe. You know just a voice that would say (at intervals you set/specify yourself): "Breathe." After reading this, I guess it would be handy to have a voice to remind you to blink too...

[Edited at 2010-05-18 12:29 GMT]

Try one of these Suzan

http://eyes-relax.en.softonic.com/
http://www.quickpause.com/download.asp

This one is a voice reminder

http://www.easyfreeware.com/files/aiv_reminder.zip/22574

[Edited at 2010-05-27 07:26 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Thanks, Anc... May 27, 2010

anc120 wrote:

Suzan Hamer wrote:

I've often noticed I get so lost in translating or editing that I forget to breathe or breathe very shallowly. I wonder if there isn't something you could download that every so often would remind you to breathe. You know just a voice that would say (at intervals you set/specify yourself): "Breathe." After reading this, I guess it would be handy to have a voice to remind you to blink too...

Try one of these Suzan

I had no idea anything like this existed... Unfortunately, these appear to work only with Windows. Do you know of anything like this for Mac users?

C.M. Rawal
C.M. Rawal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:19
English to Hindi
+ ...
I use separate reading glasses for computer May 28, 2010

I have two pairs of reading glasses; one is with normal bi-focal lenses as prescribed by the Optician. I use this pair normally. However, for computer, I use a different pair of glasses with special bi-focal lenses in which the lower reading glasses are the same but the distance glasses are set to the distance of the computer screen, i.e. about an arm's length. This was recommended to me by my optician.

Now, I don't have any problem or discomfort using computers even for long hours
... See more
I have two pairs of reading glasses; one is with normal bi-focal lenses as prescribed by the Optician. I use this pair normally. However, for computer, I use a different pair of glasses with special bi-focal lenses in which the lower reading glasses are the same but the distance glasses are set to the distance of the computer screen, i.e. about an arm's length. This was recommended to me by my optician.

Now, I don't have any problem or discomfort using computers even for long hours because this way I can sit with my back resting on the back of my computer chair. I don't get any eye strain, neck strain or even body strain.
Collapse

Juliette Scott
Juliette Scott  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Computer glasses Sep 26, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

An ophthlmologist once told me (decades ago) that reading glasses are standardly focused at 14 inches. Strikes me that times have changed, now that we're using computer screens often located vertically at the back of desk, not pieces of paper located horizontally at the front of the desk.

Does anyone have experience with reading glasses specifically made for computer users?

Absolutely John. My optician in Italy insists upon it! I now have 3 pairs - one for driving, one for reading and one for the computer. The reading / computer ones are NOT interchangeable. A good optician should ask you to demonstrate the exact distance and position you work at from the screen and make the glasses accordingly. Not sure if this is the same for every eye problem - I'm just a simple case of age bringing on longsightedness.

Hope this helps!
Juliette

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Cameras vs. humans Sep 26, 2010

Modern photo/video cameras often have automatic focusing; old ones don't.

Most humans are born with automatic focusing. As we get older, the autofocus mechanism often deteriorates, so we need "manual" focusing by means of corrective lenses.

In Brazil such lenses must be prescribed by a MD, and ophtalmologist. In the USA this is done by an optometrist. Any of them can focus your sight anywhere with lenses.

At age 58, I still don't need lenses for long distan
... See more
Modern photo/video cameras often have automatic focusing; old ones don't.

Most humans are born with automatic focusing. As we get older, the autofocus mechanism often deteriorates, so we need "manual" focusing by means of corrective lenses.

In Brazil such lenses must be prescribed by a MD, and ophtalmologist. In the USA this is done by an optometrist. Any of them can focus your sight anywhere with lenses.

At age 58, I still don't need lenses for long distances, e.g. for driving; however I can't read the time on the rather small car dashboard clock, though I can see the speedometer needle.

I began using glasses for reading at age 41, and my automatic focus range has been growing narrower ever since. So for the past 8-10 years I've had two pairs or glasses: one for reading small print; another one for the now 19" computer screen (75 cm from my face).

As these recently became "weak" (and scratched as well), I told this to my ophtalmologist, he programmed his machine (checked the results manually afterwards), and got two perfect prescription glasses for me.

I notice that the focusing range is getting narrower. I used to shop in the supermarket with my "reading" (14 in distance) glasses. Now I do it with my "computer" glasses, as I the present "reading" ones require me to go too close to the items to read price tags.
Collapse

Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:49
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
few of the solutions for eye and general health Dec 22, 2010

Hi,

I just want to share some of the things I have learnt recently.

For eye health, bilberry, blueberry, blackcurrant, carrot, cod liver oil supplement, if not fresh ones.

For eye exercise, I used AceReader for speedreading. Some of its exercises might help pacing eye. Some of the exercises are missing in version 5. I prefer you search for version 4.0. Trial versions are for 30 day.

For eye, I had done some research upon remembering my friends
... See more
Hi,

I just want to share some of the things I have learnt recently.

For eye health, bilberry, blueberry, blackcurrant, carrot, cod liver oil supplement, if not fresh ones.

For eye exercise, I used AceReader for speedreading. Some of its exercises might help pacing eye. Some of the exercises are missing in version 5. I prefer you search for version 4.0. Trial versions are for 30 day.

For eye, I had done some research upon remembering my friends ex-working environment in mapping company. He had mentioned some specialized spectacles. Gunnar optik seems to help the solution if not completely. It filters excessive light and brightness.

Local opticians offer reflection glasses. If you tell them for intensive computer use, they modify your original number slightly towards reading glass. I think it works.

And, something for the body, I would advise powerball for wrist and finger related health.

Hope some of above help proz community members.

Have a prosperous business

Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

[Edited at 2010-12-22 16:19 GMT]
Collapse

mohanv
mohanv
India
Local time: 23:19
French to English
+ ...
Bates method - Palming Dec 24, 2010

I give here some info and references and links regarding "Bates method" which can be a boon for all of us, who are liable to strain our eyes during work.

The Bates method is a system of natural vision improvement invented by William H. Bates, M. D. in the early part of last century. From his observations of patients who wear glasses, he came to a few conclusions.
Eyesight can change, for either the better or the worse. Poor eyesight is caused by the strain to see. The way to
... See more
I give here some info and references and links regarding "Bates method" which can be a boon for all of us, who are liable to strain our eyes during work.

The Bates method is a system of natural vision improvement invented by William H. Bates, M. D. in the early part of last century. From his observations of patients who wear glasses, he came to a few conclusions.
Eyesight can change, for either the better or the worse. Poor eyesight is caused by the strain to see. The way to better eyesight is through relaxation of both mind and body. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Palming is a very simple exercise which can be done any where at any time and it is easy to do.

. . . . . . . Spend some time each day Palming
To palm is to cover your closed eyes with your hands in such a way that there is no pressure on your eyeballs. The palms of your hands are slightly cupped over each eye (left over left and right over right), and usually the fingers are partly interlaced on your forehead.

There should be no light, or as little as possible, allowed to enter the eye. Once you are palming, open your eyes and look around to see if you can adjust your hands in such a way as to exclude as much light as possible. Close your eyes. . . . . . . .

For very detailed and useful info, I recommend reading "Better Eyesight without Glasses" by W H Bates. MD (334 pages). This is the most useful book, I have ever come across. Please refer to the following link:
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=FmlaIs9R2t8C&printsec=frontcover&dq="Better%20Eyesight%20without%20Glasses"&source=bl&ots=OdhFPPjIAE&sig=AYam2ZnxHNxDya9h0JBighaSHbY&hl=en&ei=PVwUTaXeB8jMrQeAn4n6Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Further reading reference:
The Cure of Imperfect Sight by Treatment Without Glasses by W H Bates. MD (334 pages)

More references:
http://www.seeing.org/index.html
BATES ASSOCIATION FOR VISION EDUCATION

http://www.i-see.org/bates_nutshell.html
Bates Method in a Nutshell
The Basics of Better Eyesight:
Instructions on how to improve your vision with simple eye exercises and visual habits
Collapse

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
Agree with "home" remedies offered Jan 5, 2011

Wordeffect wrote:

Do you type on a white background? If so, try setting "Display" (if using Windows) via the Control Panel, so that the working window is a restful shade of pale blue or green, but not too bright (mine is a greyish turquoise).

Type big - large clear fonts make a real difference. Computers are normally set up by default to type at 10 point size, but I usually use 12, or when I'm having a bad day, 14 or even 16: nice big fat letters, and I can read them at a glance.

Look away from the screen regularly, too. Just looking out of the window for a couple of minutes and following lines up and down (trees, edges of buidlings) or from side to side (telephone wires, roofs, horizon) with your eyes is a helpful exercise. Or just sit with your eyes closed, but then you might fall asleep!

But nothing beats getting away from the computer altogether! Can you print out at least part of the document and do some translating every day, in the afternoon maybe, the old-fashioned way on paper? It's much more relaxing. Your productivity overall mght even improve.

Best wishes, Alison

All of these elements make a huge difference for me. Glare simply kills my eyes. It has gotten worse over the years.

Text size as well. I can immediately feel a difference when I augment the font size in any document that I am reading. However, it's only when I change the font size that I notice that I was straining my eyes. Otherwise, the strain is there, but you are not conscious of it.

When I need to look away from the computer, I have to look at some corner or space that is not too bright, nor which has a lot of contrast. And it must not have glare or light reflections. So check the position of your main light sources and how they are reflecting into your eyes.

But the very best is to get away frequently, hopefully to include a short activity that involves some kind of physical exercise.

Protecting you eyes at all times is also important and will diminish the overall toll over the years, such as wearing appropriate sun glasses outside when the environment is bright.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Fingers tire earlier Jan 5, 2011

I'm very shortsighted, but my eyes do not tire so much as my fingers. So when I make a break it is because of my hands and wrists, not my eyes.

If you use glasses and are not quite young any more, I would suggest you go to see a good (experienced) ophthalmologist. A through examination should last at least 30 minutes. Many of us just see opticians when they need new glasses, but those examinations are mostly superfluous.

Last autumn I noticed my lenses were worn, I look
... See more
I'm very shortsighted, but my eyes do not tire so much as my fingers. So when I make a break it is because of my hands and wrists, not my eyes.

If you use glasses and are not quite young any more, I would suggest you go to see a good (experienced) ophthalmologist. A through examination should last at least 30 minutes. Many of us just see opticians when they need new glasses, but those examinations are mostly superfluous.

Last autumn I noticed my lenses were worn, I looked into my drawer and found a pair of glasses more than 10 years old. I tried them and was surprised that I saw much better with those old glasses compared to my two years old ones. I tried also the others, acquired since 2000. All were worse than the glasses more than 10 years old.

To make the story short, it took the optician three tries before I had glasses that were acceptable. Not before an experiences ophthalmologist had examined me and noticed, that my left eye can manage with 1,5 less, meaning -6.5 instead of -8 as previously.
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Aha! I found an app for Mac that does it. Feb 10, 2011

http://www.apimac.com/timer

It's a timer that you can use in various ways, including setting it to speak a message at desired intervals.

Suzan Hamer wrote:

anc120 wrote:

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Try one of these Suzan

I had no idea anything like this existed... Unfortunately, these appear to work only with Windows. Do you know of anything like this for Mac users?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your eye and long hours of work

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »