Tópico cartaz: conejo
conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 18:49
japonês para inglês
+ ...
Nov 30, 2011

Hello. I apologize for not writing in Hindi (I don't speak it), and this is not a work-related question, but I thought this would be a good place to ask people who would know... I am curious about the custom of nostril piercing in India. I read that Indian women get their nose pierced when they marry, but I have also noticed that here in the US, I don't think I have ever seen any Indian woman with a nose piercing. (Or on Bollywood movies, I don't remember seeing people with nose piercings.) Whic... See more
Hello. I apologize for not writing in Hindi (I don't speak it), and this is not a work-related question, but I thought this would be a good place to ask people who would know... I am curious about the custom of nostril piercing in India. I read that Indian women get their nose pierced when they marry, but I have also noticed that here in the US, I don't think I have ever seen any Indian woman with a nose piercing. (Or on Bollywood movies, I don't remember seeing people with nose piercings.) Which made me wonder if that was true, or if they maybe only wear it for a short period of time and take it out after they've been married for a while? ThanksCollapse

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 05:19
Membro (2008)
híndi para inglês
+ ...
Nose Piercing and Religion Nov 30, 2011

From 16th century the custom of nose piercing got initiated. But nowadays it has become one of the trendy fashion statements. According to the culture of Indians (as you are aware of) nose piercing holds a long back tradition and especially among the Muslim culture this ornament stands as mandatory for marriages. But among the Hindus it is only pierced during the time of marriages which is optional.

If you talk about religious significance nose piercing is considered as a way of sho
... See more
From 16th century the custom of nose piercing got initiated. But nowadays it has become one of the trendy fashion statements. According to the culture of Indians (as you are aware of) nose piercing holds a long back tradition and especially among the Muslim culture this ornament stands as mandatory for marriages. But among the Hindus it is only pierced during the time of marriages which is optional.

If you talk about religious significance nose piercing is considered as a way of showing honor to the Hindu goddess ‘Parvathi’ (wife of Lord Shiva).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Amar Nath[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nostril piercing in India

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »