Off topic: Why not bidding on holidays for a change?
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 18, 2002

There are many places you can go in cyberspace to bid on travel-related items.

These are a few of them, mainly aiming at a US public, yet offering deals that could be of interest to anyone:

* Sky Auction

http://www.skyauction.com

The company claims to be the leading auction site for travel-related purchases. It basically buys and sells deepl
... See more
There are many places you can go in cyberspace to bid on travel-related items.

These are a few of them, mainly aiming at a US public, yet offering deals that could be of interest to anyone:

* Sky Auction

http://www.skyauction.com

The company claims to be the leading auction site for travel-related purchases. It basically buys and sells deeply discounted

airline tickets, hotel rooms and vacation packages directly, with no middleman. This gives you an advantage in that you always know whom you’re dealing with.

The site offers 10 categories of auctions, ranging from holiday travel to trips to Asia and Australia. It also offers a slew of deals you can buy outright without bidding.

How good are the prices? Bidding often starts at $1.

* Bid4Vacations.com

http://www.bid4vacations.com

This company specializes in full vacation packages typically lasting five to seven days. The site makes it easy to find what you’re looking for by listing its packages in the categories of adventure, beach, cruises, family, gaming, golf, international, skiing and weekend getaways.

Bidding here, too, can start at $1. You can also find bargains that let you skip the bidding process. This week’s featured vacation deal, for example, is four

nights in the Bahamas, for two people, for $239. Yes, it includes airfare from nine major cities in the US.

* Priceline

http://www.priceline.com

This is the famous \"reverse auction\" site for cheap airfares.

Basically, you plug in where you are, and where you want to go and when. Then you list how much you’re willing to pay for the ticket. The software then scours its inventory of deals for one that matches.

If you get a hit, you do the deal right then and there.

I’ve heard raves about this site, although I have spoken with people who have had trouble finding a match. That usually means your price is too low. In general, try to

find the best deal you can on the Internet, drop the price by 20 percent or so, and plug it into Priceline.

Chances are you could be pleasantly

surprised.

[addsig]
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Skyauction rules! Sep 18, 2002

I highly recommend this site. It\'s mostly aimed at North American travelers but I\'m sure anyone can bid. I and friends have gone to trips like: Puerto Vallarta all-inclusive for 900 US (inluding air), Dominican Rep. for 1000 Canadian (including air), Hong Kong (week hotel plus air) for 1200 US, etc. I say go for it!

I also recommend the last-minute deals at travelocity.com and travelocity.ca (for Canadian residents).

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two geography sites Sep 18, 2002

And while we\'re at it, here you have two geography sites (from Fita), so that at least you\'ll know where you\'ll be going after you won a bid

http://www.geographyiq.com

I always loved the study of geography. I used to enjoy looking at maps and imagining what life was like in other countries. If you\'re like me, you\'ll love Geograph
... See more
And while we\'re at it, here you have two geography sites (from Fita), so that at least you\'ll know where you\'ll be going after you won a bid

http://www.geographyiq.com

I always loved the study of geography. I used to enjoy looking at maps and imagining what life was like in other countries. If you\'re like me, you\'ll love GeographyIQ at www.geographyiq.com, a site with tons of information about every country in the world.

I particularly liked the ranking data, which shows where countries rank in terms of land mass, population, birth rate, imports and exports, and even categories like how many television sets are owned.

Another site with lots of information about countries worldwide is MSU Global Access at

www.msuglobalaccess.net.

This is an annotated collection of over 4,000 sites about the regions and peoples of the world.

It\'s searchable by country, thematic area (environment, development, travel, etc.) constituency group (teachers, businesspeople, etc.), resource type (maps, news sources, study abroad programs), language, and keyword.

There are also travel precautions and September 11 information links.

[addsig]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
very interesting but frustrating Sep 21, 2002

Hi

I enjoy travelling and discovering new places. But it\'s easier when you live in Europe or North America than in Africa or South America. Unfortunately all the tickets offered in these links start in Europe or North America and can\'t be used the other way. And in those countries you find offers (without bidding) at very interesting prices.

I\'d like the airlines to consider doing it in both directions.

But I had pleasure visiting these sites, and I\'ll take my r
... See more
Hi

I enjoy travelling and discovering new places. But it\'s easier when you live in Europe or North America than in Africa or South America. Unfortunately all the tickets offered in these links start in Europe or North America and can\'t be used the other way. And in those countries you find offers (without bidding) at very interesting prices.

But I had pleasure visiting these sites, and I\'ll take my revenge when I live \"in the North\".
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Sep 21, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-21 00:01, c.iglesias wrote:

Hi

I\'d like the airlines ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-09-21 00:01, c.iglesias wrote:

Hi

But I had pleasure visiting these sites, and I\'ll take my revenge when I live \"in the North\".

Most of the interesting prices need departures from the US, but if you\'re looking for e.g. hotel deals just about anywhere, you\'re in for a treat wherever you live.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why not bidding on holidays for a change?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »