At what point does a job offer become spam?
Thread poster: Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2014

On the morning of April 1st, I received an email from Proz concerning a job offer sent via the "ProZ.com Job Posting system." I ignored it, as I could discern from the title of the email alone that the job wasn't something I was interested in (and I am busy now anyways). I promptly forgot about it.

On April 7th, I received a new copy of the exact same email, with a link to the exact same job offer.

On the following day, I received the same email again at 12:07 PM, then
... See more
On the morning of April 1st, I received an email from Proz concerning a job offer sent via the "ProZ.com Job Posting system." I ignored it, as I could discern from the title of the email alone that the job wasn't something I was interested in (and I am busy now anyways). I promptly forgot about it.

On April 7th, I received a new copy of the exact same email, with a link to the exact same job offer.

On the following day, I received the same email again at 12:07 PM, then a second time a few hours later at 6:54 PM.

On April 9th, I received two more copies of this email.

Today, I received an email with the same contents of all of the previous emails, but with the subject line changed to a mysterious "1".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's a few things I am wondering:

1. Is there no check in place in the "ProZ.com Connect! Jobs" system to prevent someone from spamming the same job offer over and over to the same members?

2. If not, is there any way to opt out of this system?

3. I notice that if I click the link, it takes me to a Proz.com page that has a button for one-click replying that "I am not available." This is nice (I'm assuming, I haven't clicked on it yet though), but I think it would be helpful if there was also a button labeled "Do not send me future offers from this user" or something to that effect. Is this feasible? Although, ideally I would not have to go through unnecessary motions (clicking links, buttons etc.) just to prevent what I consider at this point to be simply spam.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Mildly annoying... Apr 10, 2014

... but it doesn't fit the definition of spam. You should just delete it and pat yourself on the back for being busy while they're obviously chaotic.

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
You can opt out of receiving messages from a particular profile Apr 10, 2014

Hello Orrin,

Only corporate members of the site can post jobs via the ProZ.com Connect system. What you received is a message through that system, the use of which is subject to the same rules and requirements as profile email. If someone is abusing this system to send the same job offer over and over again, then site staff should be notified so this kind of activity can be prevented.

You can opt out of receiving future messages from any user by adding that profile to y
... See more
Hello Orrin,

Only corporate members of the site can post jobs via the ProZ.com Connect system. What you received is a message through that system, the use of which is subject to the same rules and requirements as profile email. If someone is abusing this system to send the same job offer over and over again, then site staff should be notified so this kind of activity can be prevented.

You can opt out of receiving future messages from any user by adding that profile to your "Blocked members" list here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=profile&sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=ef

I agree that a "Report as spam" link -- which would automatically notify staff of the message you received -- is missing from messages sent via ProZ.com Connect. I've added that suggestion to the site's list of ideas to improve this feature.

I hope this explains. If you have any more details to add about the specific incident you're referring to, I'd ask that you report that to staff at http://www.proz.com/support

Best regards,

Maria
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not spam Apr 10, 2014

If it is a legitimate job offer then I don't consider it spam.

Usually the offers are unprofessional and I ignore them.

I have been contacted by scammers on occasion through Proz. I ignore these as well.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Maria Apr 11, 2014

Maria Kopnitsky wrote:

Hello Orrin,

You can opt out of receiving future messages from any user by adding that profile to your "Blocked members" list here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=profile&sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=ef

I agree that a "Report as spam" link -- which would automatically notify staff of the message you received -- is missing from messages sent via ProZ.com Connect. I've added that suggestion to the site's list of ideas to improve this feature.

I hope this explains. If you have any more details to add about the specific incident you're referring to, I'd ask that you report that to staff at http://www.proz.com/support

Best regards,

Maria

I have added the user to my Blocked members list using the link you provided. Legitimate or not, receiving seven copies of the exact same email is pretty unnecessary and unwanted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

At what point does a job offer become spam?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »