Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:43
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding upcoming changes in 2006 Nov 18, 2005

Hi Henry,

Thanks for setting up the forum.

Henry, I for one would be most interesting in hearing how you expect to reconcile what you call an increasing palette of plat-only features and the site's ability to draw new, not-yet-established translators.

What do I mean by this? Well, I love the site, have personally benefited greatly from going platinum, and think it is a wise investment for serious translators.

That said, I also easied into the s
... See more
Hi Henry,

Thanks for setting up the forum.

Henry, I for one would be most interesting in hearing how you expect to reconcile what you call an increasing palette of plat-only features and the site's ability to draw new, not-yet-established translators.

What do I mean by this? Well, I love the site, have personally benefited greatly from going platinum, and think it is a wise investment for serious translators.

That said, I also easied into the site gradually. I think I first joined in 2002, but didn't go platinum until a year or 18 months later. I used browniez to bid on a few jobs and look at the blue boards, but mostly I just lurked, trying to get a feel whether investing in a translation portal was necessary, and if so, whether that would be ProZ.com or one of the other several competing sites. I believe I selected to go with ProZ.com in no small part for the very reason that it wasn't closed off like the other sites to non-paying members. Which is another way of saying, I'm concerned that with the developments that I hear you announcing, I wonder if I (or a translator in the same situation as I was) would make the same decision to go for ProZ.com. Might you not be opening up the door to the competition again?

Why are non-paying members important? Because a) for all the annoying repeated questions, they do very often ask questions that no one else has thought to forumulate, b) they often bring new specialties to KudoZ (we've gained some food experts in GER>ENG lately, for example), and c) like me, after lurking a bit they DO become paying members.

Anyhow, that's my concern. Perhaps my fears are misplaced. I hope you'll have time to enlighten us.

Best,

Steven
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:43
SITE FOUNDER
We won't do anything to cut off the flow of new talent Nov 18, 2005

Hi Steve,

Good points. Non-paying site users are important for the reasons you list and more. Our open approach is what has made ProZ.com the leading portal in human translation.

Without getting into details, we anticipate that certain changes we have in mind for 2006 will have the effect of further focusing client and colleague attention on paying members, while increasing site activity among members and guests alike.

If this seems impossible, consider tha
... See more
Hi Steve,

Good points. Non-paying site users are important for the reasons you list and more. Our open approach is what has made ProZ.com the leading portal in human translation.

Without getting into details, we anticipate that certain changes we have in mind for 2006 will have the effect of further focusing client and colleague attention on paying members, while increasing site activity among members and guests alike.

If this seems impossible, consider that even as the disparity between clients met by paying and non-paying members grew this year (full members meeting clients at 4x the rate), ProZ.com's traffic has more than doubled overall.

Thanks for your continued support.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Regarding upcoming changes in 2006

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »