WordFast can't translate Trados Prepared files.
Thread poster: Peter Yang
Peter Yang
Peter Yang
Albania
Local time: 09:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 14, 2003

I'm a Trados user and decided to switch to WordFast because it is such a wonderful program!

However, I do have a very strange problem.

I can not pick existing translations when I translate Trados Prepared files. I did two days testing:

For simplicity, I want to translate "bbb" to "222"

1)Confirmed I can read in Trados memory without problem
2)Confirmed I can translate and pick exisitng memory in a word document I create(non trados)
... See more
I'm a Trados user and decided to switch to WordFast because it is such a wonderful program!

However, I do have a very strange problem.

I can not pick existing translations when I translate Trados Prepared files. I did two days testing:

For simplicity, I want to translate "bbb" to "222"

1)Confirmed I can read in Trados memory without problem
2)Confirmed I can translate and pick exisitng memory in a word document I create(non trados)

I found out the reason is wordfast treat the source font differently in Trados Prepared files.

when you click alt-down, it will copy the source and highlight them with green. I checked the memory after accepting it.

Here is what the memory looks like

xx030814~113312 M 2 EN-US bbb ZH-TW 222 EL LS

20030814~141832 M 3 EN-US &jA;bbb ZH-TW bbb EL LS

As you can see, wordfast thinks "bbb" in Trados file as "&jA:bbb", so of course there is no match.
(It also seems to change the date from 20030814~113312 to xx030814~113312

Question is: why and how do I fix it?

I use English Windows 2000, Office 2000 and demo WordFast 3.35 (memory is only 2 TU)
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:49
English to German
+ ...
WF group Aug 15, 2003

Actually I cannot help you with this one, but why don't you contact the WF group at Yahoo?

The link is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

You can either search the archive for similar problems, or ask straight away. There are a lot of WF&Trados users, and they may be able to help you.

HTH

Sonja...
See more
Actually I cannot help you with this one, but why don't you contact the WF group at Yahoo?

The link is:

You can either search the archive for similar problems, or ask straight away. There are a lot of WF&Trados users, and they may be able to help you.

HTH

Sonja
Collapse

Peter Yang
Peter Yang
Albania
Local time: 09:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found the problem. Sharing my experience. Aug 19, 2003

Thanks Sonja!

I found out the problem! The file I'm testing with is a already Trados Prepared document. So it thinks every segment including the original source is already translated and there is a 100% match. So WordFast is working!

I found this via Yahoo group. Thanks again.

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

The link is:

HTH

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast can't translate Trados Prepared files.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »