Auteur du fil: Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 04:38
Membre (2009)
allemand vers anglais
Apr 7, 2009

Hi Im using Across version 4.00.0 sp2e_en. I have two problems, one resulting from the other. I translate a lot of documents that were originally pdfs that the agency and sometimes the client doesnt have the original of. I can cut and paste this into Word, in doing so it looses all the formating. When I check it into Across, regardless of whether I have it set to split paras or sentences it will split the sentences up mid sentence. As I dont always have time to investigate (one agency sends me s... See more
Hi Im using Across version 4.00.0 sp2e_en. I have two problems, one resulting from the other. I translate a lot of documents that were originally pdfs that the agency and sometimes the client doesnt have the original of. I can cut and paste this into Word, in doing so it looses all the formating. When I check it into Across, regardless of whether I have it set to split paras or sentences it will split the sentences up mid sentence. As I dont always have time to investigate (one agency sends me stuff daily to be done that day) I just translate the sentences properly but only in one box (I know this will mess up my TMs but im meaning to go back later and fix it. However on checking out, Across seems to instead of leaving the boxes blank, it puts the source text in there. Which is annoying when I'm sorting out the formatting in word afterwards to match the pdf and i have to delete a load of German!

Anyone have any solution to one or other (or both?) of these please

Thanks

Louisa

[Edited at 2009-04-07 15:39 GMT]
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
États-Unis
Local time: 22:38
anglais vers allemand
Sgements Apr 7, 2009

Louisa,

thats normal when you copy from a PDF file. That has nothing to do with across. If you translate PDF files often, I would recommend that you get yourself a conversion program to help reducing these issues.

While acrobat is an expensive solution, I personally prefer Nuance professional under http://www.nuance.com/pdfconverter/.

HTH

Uwe

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 23:38
russe vers anglais
+ ...
Free alternative Apr 7, 2009

I have used PlusTools as a free alternative for this kind of task. It's not perfect, but it does a fair job of converting a PDF file to Word and maintaining the formatting of the PDF document.

Paragraph breaks sometimes turn up in odd places when converting from PDF to Word -- like in the middle of sentences. That might be the cause of your problem

Provided you have the time, it's always a good idea to clean up a PDF file that's been converted to Word before using
... See more
I have used PlusTools as a free alternative for this kind of task. It's not perfect, but it does a fair job of converting a PDF file to Word and maintaining the formatting of the PDF document.

Paragraph breaks sometimes turn up in odd places when converting from PDF to Word -- like in the middle of sentences. That might be the cause of your problem

Provided you have the time, it's always a good idea to clean up a PDF file that's been converted to Word before using a CAT tool. To see the paragraph breaks, turn on "Show paragraph marks" on the View menu. To eliminate paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences, you might consider doing a search and replace using the symbol "^p".

PlusTools is available for download here:

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

[Edited at 2009-04-07 21:06 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Grèce
Local time: 06:38
Membre (2008)
anglais vers grec
+ ...
PlusTools does not do anything special Apr 7, 2009

+Tools does not perform any special processing on the pdf file. The result is exactly the same as when you just select all text from the pdf file (hitting Ctrl+A) and then pasting it into Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segments left blank in target text checked out with the source text instead

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »