Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
What is your personal experience of the current 'flu pandemic?
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:07
French to German
+ ...
As explained in the videos... Nov 10, 2009

the WHO changed its definition of a "pandemic" some years ago, by removing the element of high mortality rate from it. This has consequences...
As per myself, I never forget that there also is the word mass (for the best or rather for the worst) in the expression "mass media".

[Edited at 2009-11-10 11:39 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Over my bank account" Nov 10, 2009

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen wrote:
However, laboratories got huge stocks of this vaccine, not even extensively tested. Do you really want to take the risk to get a severe affection instead of something like a big cold, just because your government or the media say so?

I'd say "over my dead body" ;-D

I completely agree with your assessment of the situation. Our Governments are so irresponsible and arrogant that I see a true risk that:

- Our children get vaccined in school without us knowing beforehand

- We are forced to get vaccined or will suffer a daily fine of big euros until we get vaccined

As for the EU, what can we expect of an organisation that imposes the Lisbon Treaty after two countries have voted NO to it? They don't care about what people have to say and will go ahead with whatever they want.

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
English to Russian
+ ...
No obligation to get vaccinated Nov 10, 2009

[quote]Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Our Governments are so irresponsible and arrogant that I see a true risk that:

- Our children get vaccined in school without us knowing beforehand [quote]

My child's school will be giving vaccines ONLY if the parents signed an authorization form beforehand (we have to sign authorization forms even for things like our children going for a walk around the school campus or for our children to be photographed). Also, school nurses are not going to force any child who is crying or resisting in any way. The vaccine is not obligatory. It's a choice.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky you! Nov 10, 2009

Galia Williams wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Our Governments are so irresponsible and arrogant that I see a true risk that:
- Our children get vaccined in school without us knowing beforehand

My child's school will be giving vaccines ONLY if the parents signed an authorization form beforehand (we have to sign authorization forms even for things like our children going for a walk around the school campus or for our children to be photographed). Also, school nurses are not going to force any child who is crying or resisting in any way. The vaccine is not obligatory. It's a choice.

Lucky you! Over here in Spain I see anything as possible! Honestly I don't trust our Government (and I mean any party in Government) about these things.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Some teacup Nov 10, 2009

Yes, some people assume that swine flu is a storm in a teacup -- and it may well be simply that, so long at it doesn't reach you.

It is one of the 'known knowns!' and is less likely to reach you if lots of people around you get vaccinated, thus reducing the general risk of catching it -- but I wouldn't rely on it.

For most people swine flu is no big deal but it could kill you. Listen to the advice of health professionals, get vaccinated, and pay no attention to loose t
... See more
Yes, some people assume that swine flu is a storm in a teacup -- and it may well be simply that, so long at it doesn't reach you.

It is one of the 'known knowns!' and is less likely to reach you if lots of people around you get vaccinated, thus reducing the general risk of catching it -- but I wouldn't rely on it.

For most people swine flu is no big deal but it could kill you. Listen to the advice of health professionals, get vaccinated, and pay no attention to loose talk in the media.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
German to English
+ ...
Not enough vaccine Nov 10, 2009

George Hopkins wrote:

For most people swine flu is no big deal but it could kill you. Listen to the advice of health professionals, get vaccinated, and pay no attention to loose talk in the media.

Yes, except there is not enough vaccine for everyone. I would therefore gladly give up mine (healthy adult) to a sick child or health-compromised adult. As I said, though, it doesn't work that way. Right now I don't think anyone is getting the shot around here. There isn't enough to go around.

I am far from paranoid about vaccines, but I definitely started losing confidence when I was required to vaccinate my kids against the chicken pox to send them to school. In a year or two we have to make the decision for our girls about human papillomavirus vaccine, which they have tried to make mandatory in Illinois. I just don't think some of these things are an imminent danger to my kids and have some thoughts about shooting them full of vaccines whose long-term effects have not been studied thoroughly. That is why I hesitated to get the H1N1 vaccine (even when it was available to my kids).

Anyway, I'll sign off because I'm going somewhat off topic!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The big deal Nov 10, 2009

George Hopkins wrote:

For most people regular flue is no big deal... but it kills from 3,000 to 4,000 people in Spain alone every year. Despite those figures --vastly bigger than those of swine flu--, regular flu vaccines are not imposed to anyone in Spain.

This makes me think that our politicians are terrified of swine flue just because it would catch them, as opposed to normal flu which mostly kills the elderly.

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Balancing risks... Nov 10, 2009

George, crossing the road tomorrow could kill me, or any number of undiagnosed medical conditions that I could have... Personally, I have lost any faith I may have had in the Swedish authorities' ability to deal with this situation is an open and balanced manner and no member of my family will be getting vaccinated. I know increasing numbers of people who have had this flu, from small children to middle-aged women, and nothing in their experience makes me believe it is worth vaccinating against ... See more
George, crossing the road tomorrow could kill me, or any number of undiagnosed medical conditions that I could have... Personally, I have lost any faith I may have had in the Swedish authorities' ability to deal with this situation is an open and balanced manner and no member of my family will be getting vaccinated. I know increasing numbers of people who have had this flu, from small children to middle-aged women, and nothing in their experience makes me believe it is worth vaccinating against it. (And two of the three otherwise healthy adults that I know have been vaccinated had such severe reactions to it they were bedridden the day after the first dose).

My son has had all his vaccinations so far - but I am very sceptical about Pandemrix - and the fact is that health professionals cannot even agree about the size of the dose/how much protection it provides/side effects/even whether it is necessary. Swedish spokespeople for the vaccine are sticking hard and fast to the idea that Swedish children need twice as much vaccine than children in the UK. On the balance of risks, I would prefer to have my son catch the flu and become naturally immune to the potential second wave (of which there are dire predictions that it will be worse...), rather than vaccinate him with a relatively untested vaccine that may or may not offer protection against a mutated "second wave" virus. (Of course, I would like my son never to be ill, but I have to be realistic!).

Note that my opinion so far only applies to the Pandemrix vaccine - the cheaper one, which only uses part of the virus. The whole virus vaccine, Cevlapan, without adjuvants, is one I may consider, but even if I wanted it, I can't imagine I'd be offered it. It's worth noting that the Swedish authorities have simply put a big red note over the details of that particular vaccine on the relevant website. It is licenced for use in Sweden but is not being offered, not even to pregnant women (even though the WHO recommends it rather than Pandemrix for that particular risk group).

I could go on, but the whole whole situation here in Sweden makes me so very irritated. Press coverage here is always lacking is reasoned debate, whatever the issue, but it feels as if the media have gone belly up to pharma money and government pressure.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
German to English
+ ...
Same here, Clare. Nov 10, 2009

Clare Barnes wrote:
My son has had all his vaccinations so far - but I am very sceptical about Pandemrix - and the fact is that health professionals cannot even agree about the size of the dose/how much protection it provides/side effects/even whether it is necessary. Swedish spokespeople for the vaccine are sticking hard and fast to the idea that Swedish children need twice as much vaccine than children in the UK.

Yes, they can't get it straight here whether kids need 2 shots or 1. Or the nasal spray - some people need that over the shot. Very confusing.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
risks, objectivity and the truth Nov 10, 2009

George Hopkins wrote:

Then I'll be obliged if you find me an opinion of a health professional who is not paid by pharma companies. One thing I know is - those who know most about the vaccines (producers) won't put them in pharmacies, although they could very well do so (at least three vaccines are centrally registered and thus legal for trade within the EU). Inquiring minds are asking why pharma will only sell the vaccines to the government.

As far as getting killed goes, you know the old adage about never crossing the street for fear of being run over by a car. A million people catch regular flu every year in my country. Some die. Yet nobody panics about it. Is it because the vaccines are not new, they do not cost a crapload of money and governments won't buyt them so they're not nearly as good business?

Ursula Erik
Ursula Erik
Local time: 03:07
English to Estonian
flu is flu, 'swine' or not Nov 10, 2009

I wouldn't like to believe it, but it looks very much like an opportunity to get 'hot' headlines.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Wonky car? Nov 11, 2009

If I feel that my car is a bit wonky I check with my mechanic. With regard to influensa warnings, or any other matters of health, I check with my doctor.

The initial worries about swine flu were rather vague, strong in areas displaying actual cases and increasingly stronger in areas where deaths occur.

There is no advance knowledge of swine flu that the authorities can refer to. Although shades of the Spanish flu, 1918 pandemic, have fluttered by, and it claimed more
... See more
If I feel that my car is a bit wonky I check with my mechanic. With regard to influensa warnings, or any other matters of health, I check with my doctor.

The initial worries about swine flu were rather vague, strong in areas displaying actual cases and increasingly stronger in areas where deaths occur.

There is no advance knowledge of swine flu that the authorities can refer to. Although shades of the Spanish flu, 1918 pandemic, have fluttered by, and it claimed more lives than the Great War.

Daina's preference of giving children the vaccine is more than sensible -- children need only half a dose and this means double so many people being unable to spread swine flu.

But it's really not a talking matter -- get a jab.

[Edited at 2009-11-11 15:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-11 15:51 GMT]
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
out here, purely a talking matter. here's why Nov 11, 2009

George Hopkins wrote:

Easier said than done. The producers are still refusing to supply the Polish market. They only want to deal with the government. I don't know how to say this more plainly: the producers are twisting the government's arm and refusing to sell me the vaccine. They demand that the government take an intermediary role. Many governments have given in to this blackmail; in those countries, you indeed can get the shot.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The French method Nov 12, 2009

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

George Hopkins wrote:

Easier said than done. The producers are still refusing to supply the Polish market. They only want to deal with the government. I don't know how to say this more plainly: the producers are twisting the government's arm and refusing to sell me the vaccine. They demand that the government take an intermediary role. Many governments have given in to this blackmail; in those countries, you indeed can get the shot.

We are told that everybody will receive their personal convocation from the CNAM (national health insurance fund), that all are concerned with the shot according to 14 (!) priority categories and that responding to the convocation is not mandatory, but voluntary.
I am sorry, but this looks to me as being double talk... Who will in fact be aware that the vaccination is optional even if one is convened to take the shot? And what is the idea behind it?

[Edited at 2009-11-12 07:17 GMT]

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
The H1N1 scare faded away in Buenos Aires Nov 12, 2009

At the start of the local flu season, some government officials said that every Argentine would know at least four people infected with the virus. But I'm quoting from memory. At any rate, neither I nor any of my three school-age children, my wife or any friends of mine know anyone that caught the bug.

Perhaps it's because nothing seems to work in this country.

Regards,

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-11-12 08:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your personal experience of the current 'flu pandemic?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »