Off topic: On your feet?
Thread poster: Christine Ghafoor
Christine Ghafoor
Christine Ghafoor
United States
Local time: 20:58
English to French
May 31, 2013

When sitting on your desk, are your feet on the floor or do you elevate them, like on a small stool?

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:58
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends May 31, 2013

This is the ideal. She has a small footrest, as you can see. For me, it depends. I already have a bad spine, but I just can't sit with my feet on the floor all the time, so I often curl a leg under me, put it on my other knee or use a chair leg for support. Or any combination of the foregoing.

IMHO much depends on whether you use a keyboard support (I'd probably break the thing in less
... See more
This is the ideal. She has a small footrest, as you can see. For me, it depends. I already have a bad spine, but I just can't sit with my feet on the floor all the time, so I often curl a leg under me, put it on my other knee or use a chair leg for support. Or any combination of the foregoing.

IMHO much depends on whether you use a keyboard support (I'd probably break the thing in less than 10 minutes) or have your keyboard on your desk. Then, there are many kinds of chairs, from that minimalistic office wheelstool the Ideal Woman is using to a fly chair or an orthopaedic device like mine.

Basically, you need to make sure you have the right blood circulation and the position isn't bad for your spine or other bones.
Collapse

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Elevated May 31, 2013

Ghafoor wrote:

When sitting on your desk, are your feet on the floor or do you elevate them, like on a small stool?

Yes, I have a small space-cube that lifts my knees to the same height as my hips. I have a weird fear of having swollen ankles and varicose veins before my time

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Two positions May 31, 2013

Ghafoor wrote:

When sitting on your desk

When I sit on my desk, my feet don't reach the floor at all

When I sit at my desk, I either rest my feet on a rung that runs along the bottom of my desk about 15 cm off the floor, or keep them on the floor.

Like Sarai, I also have a bit of a thing about varicose veins and DVTs.

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
on the floor or on the base of my chair May 31, 2013

My feet are placed firmly on the floor or on the base of my chair. Sometimes, I stretch them out in front of me.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
My new desk chair May 31, 2013

DVT, back pain, joint pain - tell me about it... My legs need to be elevated, so I purchased this. What a relieve. Thank heaven for laptops. The two office rooms are equipped with nice and comfy executive chairs, it still makes my
... See more

DVT, back pain, joint pain - tell me about it... My legs need to be elevated, so I purchased this. What a relieve. Thank heaven for laptops. The two office rooms are equipped with nice and comfy executive chairs, it still makes my knees hurt whenever I spent too many hours with my knees bent.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:28
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sometimes they are even besides the keyboard! Jun 1, 2013

When typing, I keep them firmly planted on the ground. But otherwise they can be anywhere, even on the desk jostling for space among the keyboard and mouse as I lounge before the computer and savour the content on the screen.

Sometimes I place both my knees on the edge of the desk, pull my chair as close as possible to the desk and sit in this position for as long as I can. At other times, I entwine my legs over the armrest of my chair and sit in a diagonal positon on the chair, as
... See more
When typing, I keep them firmly planted on the ground. But otherwise they can be anywhere, even on the desk jostling for space among the keyboard and mouse as I lounge before the computer and savour the content on the screen.

Sometimes I place both my knees on the edge of the desk, pull my chair as close as possible to the desk and sit in this position for as long as I can. At other times, I entwine my legs over the armrest of my chair and sit in a diagonal positon on the chair, as Sherlock Holmes is said to sit! Since I spent long hours on the desk, I keep varying my position to avoid getting cramps.
Collapse

Marianne Prip Olsen (X)
Marianne Prip Olsen (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
The daily treadmill Jun 1, 2013

My feet are on my treadmill, and my laptop is on a shelf I have mounted on the treadmill – I walk while I translate. This way I can puzzle until my puzzler gets sore, keeping my circulation going, my brain fresh, and my shoulders, back, arms and everything else totally pain-free. Occasionally I sit down for a 15 min break, but mainly I walk. I’ve been translating this way for a year now, and I’ll never go back –

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
French to English
+ ...
Footrest Jun 1, 2013

I have a purpose-bought office footrest, acquired when I was struggling with RSI and reviewing my working arrangements. A friend who is a health & safety expert recommended various things - ergonomic keyboard and mouse, moving my monitor down off the pedestal it was on (thanks MFI!), changing my chair AND buying a footrest so my feet were slightly raised. All these things helped, but the problem was solved by buying Dragon. When I'm dictating I can lean right back in my chair, sit up straight or... See more
I have a purpose-bought office footrest, acquired when I was struggling with RSI and reviewing my working arrangements. A friend who is a health & safety expert recommended various things - ergonomic keyboard and mouse, moving my monitor down off the pedestal it was on (thanks MFI!), changing my chair AND buying a footrest so my feet were slightly raised. All these things helped, but the problem was solved by buying Dragon. When I'm dictating I can lean right back in my chair, sit up straight or even stand up if I feel like it - and no pain on my wrist at all. Like Nicole, if I'm doing a final read-through of a translation that doesn't need me to be at the computer, I'll sometimes go and sit on the sofa in the conservatory with my feet up - just have to make sure I don't fall asleep.....Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
German to English
On the shelf Jun 1, 2013

My cheap, tacky, but incredibly practical triangular computer corner desk has a couple of low shelves at right angles to each other, four or five inches off the floor. When I get a bit "twitchy" I continually rediscover them and stretch and spread out my legs with a sigh of relief...

Steve K.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
elbows and forearms Jun 2, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

This is the ideal.

I'm not sure - elbows and forearms suspended in air? I don't think it's good.
P.S. My feet on the floor.

[Edited at 2013-06-02 19:15 GMT]

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
Footrest Jun 3, 2013

Simple is beautiful:

http://dromeas.gr/footrests.php

You can adjust the tilt in the most simple way, just by applying some pressure with the feet.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
footrest Jun 3, 2013

I have a box that got shoved under my desk at some point which I use as a footrest. Right now I'm perched on the edge of my chair with my feet tucked underneath, pretending I'm on one of those ergonomic back-to-front things that were in fashion a whi... See more
I have a box that got shoved under my desk at some point which I use as a footrest. Right now I'm perched on the edge of my chair with my feet tucked underneath, pretending I'm on one of those ergonomic back-to-front things that were in fashion a while back

https://www.google.com/search?source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=rnGsUYmGKeSm0AW3sYHQDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1119&bih=735&q=ergonomic%20ball%20chair#facrc=_&imgrc=yGEUyqd5vubENM:;VLIK2PgV2-N8nM;http%3A%2F%2F24.media.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_m788wsMxkM1r6r5ajo1_500.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tumblr.com%2Ftagged%2Fergonomic%2520chair;500;400

When I want to read out loud I print my text and stand up to declaim with extra oomph.

I started out when my children were small, with a baby either breastfeeding in a sling or on my shoulder, which is when I started the reading out loud lark, although at the time I would usually be walking up and down to get the baby off to sleep, and reading as if it were a nursery rhyme!
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ergonomic chairs and ergonomic table Jun 3, 2013

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to give you my 2 cents about ergonomic chairs.
I have bought the Varier thatsit and use it since december, but I can tell that, although it has relieved a back pain I had, it is not very comfortable for long hours in front of the pc.
I am now going to try the ergotron wordfit-D, a new way to work standing instead of seated.
I think that one should split the hours in front of the pc between the standing and the seated position..
I will le
... See more
Hi everybody,
I just wanted to give you my 2 cents about ergonomic chairs.
I have bought the Varier thatsit and use it since december, but I can tell that, although it has relieved a back pain I had, it is not very comfortable for long hours in front of the pc.
I am now going to try the ergotron wordfit-D, a new way to work standing instead of seated.
I think that one should split the hours in front of the pc between the standing and the seated position..
I will let you know if it works!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On your feet?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »