Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Survey on workstations and health: how do long working hours affect you?
Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:36
Italian to English
+ ...
About the Varier Balans and cheapo kneel stools Mar 15, 2023

The Balans is a quality rocking stool (€250-300). It rocks so you move your core, which is much better for the back and stomach, you find your balance and change position more. You're moving quite a lot.

I used to have a cheapo kneel stool (€50-70) on wheels when I was a youngster. These don't rock so you're locked into the same position, not so good at all.

At a standing desk I'm always moving around, shuffling, standing more on one leg, then the other, legs straig
... See more
The Balans is a quality rocking stool (€250-300). It rocks so you move your core, which is much better for the back and stomach, you find your balance and change position more. You're moving quite a lot.

I used to have a cheapo kneel stool (€50-70) on wheels when I was a youngster. These don't rock so you're locked into the same position, not so good at all.

At a standing desk I'm always moving around, shuffling, standing more on one leg, then the other, legs straight or apart. Keeps you warmer in winter too
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Can't stand the heat Mar 15, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Yes, but you are standing at one spot? You are tethered to a screen either way.

Exactly. I can only stand in bursts. You have to mix it up. I lie down a lot too.

So nobody is using wobble style chairs?

I sit on a Swiss (exercise) ball when I sit, and use my core to stay upright. I don't get on with desk chairs whatever support they are supposed to give.

The only chair I find comfortable is the driver's seat of a Passat. I did think about getting one for the office but I'd probably need a door as well to rest my elbow on.

I noticed I was slower and my mind works differently while standing.

I imagine that'd change with time. It's like I can't dictate if someone else is in the room.

I asked a doctor whether it was better to sit or stand while working, she said it depends how you sit and it depends how you stand.

Well that was helpful!! About as helpful as one doctor/physio/osteo/chiropractor saying sit and the next doctor/physio/osteo/chiropractor saying stand. At the end of the day you have to work it out for yourself. And I'm still learning after 30 years...

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
LoL Mar 15, 2023

The most comfortable seats ever are in Volvo cars. I honestly thought to buy one for my office, not sure how I would stabilize the base though.

@Dan, who says I haven’t tried it? I tried standing (alternated with sitting) for about 6 months. Is that not enough? Moving and shuffling? I had little choreographies at my desk. None of it helped. Some aspects are good of course, but overall, it did not increase my productivity. It also felt weird for ankles, knees, etc. It’s not natu
... See more
The most comfortable seats ever are in Volvo cars. I honestly thought to buy one for my office, not sure how I would stabilize the base though.

@Dan, who says I haven’t tried it? I tried standing (alternated with sitting) for about 6 months. Is that not enough? Moving and shuffling? I had little choreographies at my desk. None of it helped. Some aspects are good of course, but overall, it did not increase my productivity. It also felt weird for ankles, knees, etc. It’s not natural to keep standing at one spot.

I also think Swiss balls are great, but will have to get one that is more designed like a chair rather than a practice ball.

Yes, doctors aren’t helpful. It’s because there are so many variables, they can’t possibly involve or think of all of them (eg. one of the variables may be how hard your floor is). But there are millions. Hard floor is terrible for joints.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Natural? Mar 15, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
@Dan, who says I haven’t tried it?

Well, if you had bothered to volunteer the information I promise you I would have used it...

It’s not natural to keep standing at one spot.

And sitting in one spot is? I don't see evidence for that. Sitting all day at a desk is, for the vast majority of people, a phenomenon that began in the late 20th century. How can it can be considered "natural"?

It's like the modern wave of obesity in the developed world. Younger people don't truly understand that populations were genuinely and noticeably thinner as late as the 1980s. People in the late 40s and 50s or older know because they saw it. Things really have changed. In the same way, people in their 50s or younger likely don't have an experiential understanding of the amount adults used to move and the amount of physical work they used to perform even as late as the 1970s. Things really have changed here also.

But as I said, everybody has to find what works for them. If what you're doing is working, then keep doing what you're doing. Otherwise, do something else. Or, perhaps more importantly, do a number of "something elses".

Sit a bit on one chair. Stand a bit. Rest a bit. Use a wobble-style chair/stool. Trot off to the living room and annoy your spouse for ten minutes. Back to the first chair. Change it up.

Dan

Michele Fauble

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Evidence Mar 15, 2023

We lie down or possibly sit/recline to sleep (for 8 hours). It’s impossible to do while standing up. Even animals can sit or lie down for longer than they can stand in one spot (or care to stand in one spot). I never said sitting was healthy, I only said I saw problems with standing too.

Yes, I try to change settings, gadgets, etc.

It’s also very difficult to measure these things due to endless number of variables, and thus make some final conclusions. But everyone
... See more
We lie down or possibly sit/recline to sleep (for 8 hours). It’s impossible to do while standing up. Even animals can sit or lie down for longer than they can stand in one spot (or care to stand in one spot). I never said sitting was healthy, I only said I saw problems with standing too.

Yes, I try to change settings, gadgets, etc.

It’s also very difficult to measure these things due to endless number of variables, and thus make some final conclusions. But everyone can make things comfy for themseves as much as possible, of course, it’s a given.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Last call to complete the survey! Apr 3, 2023

The ergonomics survey I'm running closes this Wednesday, 5 April. Please take part if you haven't yet:

https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/ERGO2023

It won't take more than 5 minutes to complete – unless you have a lot to say!

Many thanks.

Josep Vives (X)
Josep Vives (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Complete. Apr 3, 2023

It was interesting enough. While going through it I realized I don't take care of myself enough -gonna make some quality improvements in my life thanks to it!

Emma Goldsmith

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Win-win situation Apr 5, 2023

Josep Vives wrote:

While going through it I realized I don't take care of myself enough -gonna make some quality improvements in my life thanks to it!

Thanks for completing the survey, Josep!

Yes, taking part in the survey is a win-win situation: you might get ideas for making changes to your workstation or exercise habits, I get more data to analyse, and, when I publish the results, we all learn more about how sedentary lifestyles affect the health of language professionals.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on workstations and health: how do long working hours affect you?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »