Thread poster: chaplin
chaplin
chaplin
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
English to French
+ ...
Jun 7, 2010

I would like to know if anyone has been contacted by an agency via Proz. They deal with automotive translations. The contract is ruled by Seychelles law? And then what happens in case of non payments? Please contact me if you are already involved . Thank you.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't see a problem here Jun 8, 2010

Would it be any different if the company was based in Australia? You would have the same difficulty in case of default.

Does the company have a record in the Blueboard?

In any case, if you have doubts about the reliability of the company, for this first job ask for an advance payment of part of the money, or agree upon payment of parts of the project upon delivery, so that you get paid work as you complete it. So just like with a company in your same city.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I absolutely agree with Tomás Jun 8, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Would it be any different if the company was based in Australia? You would have the same difficulty in case of default.

Does the company have a record in the Blueboard?

In any case, if you have doubts about the reliability of the company, for this first job ask for an advance payment of part of the money, or agree upon payment of parts of the project upon delivery, so that you get paid work as you complete it. So just like with a company in your same city.

I have a wonderful client in the West Indies. I wish they would finally invite me to their beautiful Caribbean island.

chaplin
chaplin
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
free bank account in Switzerland Jun 8, 2010

What puzzled me was they offer a free bank account in Switzerland and I happen to know that the Seychelles are a financial paradise. What do you think now? Do I go for it? They do not have a Blue Board record. They also want to know which agencies I intend to go on working for. Why should I have to reveal these so that they can contact them later? They offer 4000 words a day. It's hard as I have no work at present.

[Edited at 2010-06-08 12:28 GMT]

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
sounds fishy to me Jun 8, 2010

The Seychelles address does not in itself means anything else than "tax optimisation" .

But the conditions you describe are strange.

4000 words/day is a very big amount .. What do they "offer" exactly : a contract with 4000 words/day written on it ? At what sort of rate ?

They have absolutely no right nor reason to know about your other clients. Remember, you run your own business, they don't have to interfere.

What do you mean by "they offe
... See more
The Seychelles address does not in itself means anything else than "tax optimisation" .

But the conditions you describe are strange.

4000 words/day is a very big amount .. What do they "offer" exactly : a contract with 4000 words/day written on it ? At what sort of rate ?

They have absolutely no right nor reason to know about your other clients. Remember, you run your own business, they don't have to interfere.

What do you mean by "they offer a free Swiss bank account " ?

Lot of unusual conditions ...
Collapse

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
references Jun 8, 2010

You know, maybe they ask about your clients to contact one of them to obtain some info about you - you are accurate, meet deadlines etc. This is a common procedure for some of agencies, which do not ask about written references.

I would suggest just ask kindly, why they would like to know names of your previous clients/cooperators.

With best wishes,
Ann

Rifraf
Rifraf
go with your gut feeling Jun 8, 2010

Ségolène Neilson wrote:
They offer 4000 words a day. It's hard as I have no work at present.

[Edited at 2010-06-08 12:28 GMT]

If it sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true

OR

Better safe than sorry

chaplin
chaplin
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 8, 2010

Have a good ay rainy here in Derby UK
Kind regards
Ségolène

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency based in the Seychelles

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »