Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danemark
Local time: 20:52
Membre (2003)
danois vers anglais
+ ...
Don't write off all jobs posted on the site, but do read them Nov 10, 2012

I dare say it depends on your language combinations a bit.

I did actually get an interesting, well-paid job once by applying for it.
The outsourcer had an excellent record on the Blue Board. However, he did not become one of my regular clients. He is still around.

(That was the only job I remember in almost ten years, though I don't bid often.)

I have also seen jobs posted by clients I know and enjoy working for. One in particular has posted jobs on a
... See more
I dare say it depends on your language combinations a bit.

The outsourcer had an excellent record on the Blue Board. However, he did not become one of my regular clients. He is still around.

(That was the only job I remember in almost ten years, though I don't bid often.)

I have also seen jobs posted by clients I know and enjoy working for. One in particular has posted jobs on a couple of occasions after first offering them to me, when I could not manage them within the deadline. He had obviously not found anyone to take them on among his regular colleagues. He would have paid a good rate and on time - I hope he found someone helpful! (And he still comes back to me now and then.)

But this last case proves the rule - outsourcers go directly to translators they like the look of from their profiles and activities.

By the time jobs are posted, the deadlines may be getting short, but being able to pick up on a short deadline in an emergency has gained me several good clients who give more time whenever possible.

Keep trying!
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
français vers anglais
+ ...
Once in 10 years says a lot Nov 10, 2012

Christine Andersen wrote:

Sadly, it seems that offering a low price (aka 'best rate'), speed and having a CAT tool (so prices can be reduced even more) are the key factors outsourcers are looking for. Considered as nice optional extras are factors like knowing the languages (source and target) and even a bit about the field, but if you offer these two factors without the first 3. then you won't get the job.
Or so it seems for the majority of jobs currently posted.

[Edited at 2012-11-10 16:33 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Membre (2004)
italien vers allemand
+ ...
If ProZ were a warranty for getting well paid jobs Nov 10, 2012

everyone would subscribe here.
In about ten years of membership (which I still maintain, but certainly not for the jobs), I have got a handful of tiny jobs and a rather big one, that's all.

Fortunately, I don't need to rely on ProZ for my earnings (and yet, my only income comes from my translations). So don't worry if in only one week you didn't get any job.

Follow the good advice you have been given and be very patient!...
See more
everyone would subscribe here.
In about ten years of membership (which I still maintain, but certainly not for the jobs), I have got a handful of tiny jobs and a rather big one, that's all.

Fortunately, I don't need to rely on ProZ for my earnings (and yet, my only income comes from my translations). So don't worry if in only one week you didn't get any job.

Follow the good advice you have been given and be very patient!
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danemark
Membre (2003)
danois vers anglais
+ ...
I DO get jobs through Proz.com, and don't forget powwows... Nov 11, 2012

... although some of them come indirectly through the network.

I ought to say I practically NEVER bid for jobs openly posted here, though I have bid for some that have been mailed to me on the basis of my profile.

So far no one has mentioned powwows on this thread, and these vary a lot, but the Danish powwows I have attended have been a very good place to attract attention to oneself and one's specialities.

Colleagues recommen
... See more

I ought to say I practically NEVER bid for jobs openly posted here, though I have bid for some that have been mailed to me on the basis of my profile.

So far no one has mentioned powwows on this thread, and these vary a lot, but the Danish powwows I have attended have been a very good place to attract attention to oneself and one's specialities.

Colleagues recommend you to outsourcers with jobs they don't like themselves - my Danish colleagues send jobs that need an English native, or I send on technical jobs I don't feel confident about. We pick each other's brains and exchange tips and ideas as well as enjoying ourselves.

It does take time, but you will get there!
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Membre (2004)
italien vers allemand
+ ...
Oh yes, you are right! Nov 11, 2012

Christine Andersen wrote:

Colleagues recommend you to outsourcers with jobs they don't like themselves - my Danish colleagues send jobs that need an English native, or I send on technical jobs I don't feel confident about. We pick each other's brains and exchange tips and ideas as well as enjoying ourselves.

It does take time, but you will get there!

I referred only to jobs posted directly on the site.

But I got indeed many through colleagues I knew on the occasion of powwows or elsewhere.
KudoZ are also a good observatory, as it has already been said.

All this takes time, though, and cannot produce results within one week

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to land that first "job" on Proz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »