What's the purpose of making one's Blue Board entries visible ...
Thread poster: Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:30
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 15, 2013

when there is already the WWA section as a marketing tool?

Do you think the "Blue Board entries made" section is misused by outsourcers/outsourcing colleagues to find out whose rates they can knock down based on the BB outsourcer jurisdictions (like: 'has worked for outsourcer from region Z where monthly per capita income is below 2000 bucks so I can offer him or her even less than the going rates for the G8 countries less Italy, Canada and the U.S.') in that section if these jurisd
... See more
when there is already the WWA section as a marketing tool?

Do you think the "Blue Board entries made" section is misused by outsourcers/outsourcing colleagues to find out whose rates they can knock down based on the BB outsourcer jurisdictions (like: 'has worked for outsourcer from region Z where monthly per capita income is below 2000 bucks so I can offer him or her even less than the going rates for the G8 countries less Italy, Canada and the U.S.') in that section if these jurisdictions are made visible?

Thanks a lot everyone for your input

Best

Sebastian
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 21:30
Japanese to English
I find it useful Feb 15, 2013

I browse the profiles of others in my language pair from time to time. If I see an agency they've rated poorly I know to stay clear of that agency in the future.

I also like visible entries because they let translators name and shame agencies without mentioning them by name.

E.g. Bob makes a post about a bad agency on 10th February.
Ann replies: Why don't you make a BB post about them?
Bob: I have.
Me: *checks Bob's profile, sees the entry made around
... See more
I browse the profiles of others in my language pair from time to time. If I see an agency they've rated poorly I know to stay clear of that agency in the future.

I also like visible entries because they let translators name and shame agencies without mentioning them by name.

E.g. Bob makes a post about a bad agency on 10th February.
Ann replies: Why don't you make a BB post about them?
Bob: I have.
Me: *checks Bob's profile, sees the entry made around 10th Feb.* Aha! Now I know who to avoid.

Apart from that I think it may act as a warning to crappy agencies: this translator will not roll over and die quietly if you trifle with him/her.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the purpose of making one's Blue Board entries visible ...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »