Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
ProZ.com announces Interpreter World Map (beta)
Thread poster: justin C
Tsogt Gombosuren
Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:22
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Mongolia is not in the list of countries Mar 1, 2006

I have added my location to the map, but I can't find the name of my country in the list.
Tsogt

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:22
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Can't see map, can't go to profile ... Mar 17, 2006

I'm looking for consecutive interpreters E=>D for a 5-hour meeting on electricity and gas distribution networks in Nuremberg on March 27. Since the lead time is short, I need to search today, but the map doesn't seem to be working.
I can see the list of names on the right-hand side of the page, but no map, and when I click on the names, I'm not taken to the interpreter's profile.

Is it just a problem today?

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Try a different browser Mar 17, 2006

I learned some time ago that I can't see the map in Netscape, which is my default browser. So when I need to check the ProZ maps, I use Internet Explorer, a browser that I otherwise avoid assiduously. I just doublechecked, and the map works fine for me in IE today.

J. Phillips
J. Phillips
United States
Local time: 04:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Design flaw in interpreter map Jun 8, 2006

justin wrote:

We have created a new map-based interpreter search page. This page provides outsourcers with a means of locating interpreters by language, specialty and location. The "Interpreter World Map" has been released as a beta, and is available for testing/use at http://www.proz.com/?sp=interpreter_search

Interpreters: please follow the instructions on the page to make sure you are shown!

The idea is good, but interpreting is a two-say street. We have two main languages rather than a source and a target language. Only in weaker, added languages do we become unidirectional. Recommendation is: Language A and Language B, where A might possibly be one's dominant language and B the acquired language... but best to leave it as A and B (or 1 & 2) and let interpreters interpret that themselves. A couple of added languages might be ranked in order of fluency. --JHP

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can t Jun 8, 2006

I just can t enter my data into the map!

Alicia

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see a huge list of Jun 11, 2006

non interpreters

"Platinum results: 110 Total results: 674" is the amount of people I get when doing a search EN > ES. I KNOW that number is not correct. It seems all translators are being shown as interpreters and that is not good.

Cheers,

JL

Katia Hennart
Katia Hennart
English to French
technical comments Jul 28, 2006

Hello, just wanted to say it is a great idea, but it needs some work

- when entering your info, I personally think the latitude / longitude is a bit of a hassle (ok, maporama helped a lot) -> it takes too much time
-> what about simply zooming in on the world map
or e entering a full address or zip / postal code ?

- when you click on a balloon, you don't see immediately the pers
... See more
Hello, just wanted to say it is a great idea, but it needs some work

- when entering your info, I personally think the latitude / longitude is a bit of a hassle (ok, maporama helped a lot) -> it takes too much time
-> what about simply zooming in on the world map
or e entering a full address or zip / postal code ?

- when you click on a balloon, you don't see immediately the person's language combination -> takes another step to find out

- when you ckick on a balloon and click Back -> you loose your previous location

- when I click on a person's profile, I don't see any confirmation that he/she's an interpreter
Collapse

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 08:22
German to English
+ ...
My country is not on the list Dec 9, 2006

It's a fantastic idea - but Greenland is not on the list. There are only two proz.com interpreters here - and we'd to be "on the map" as well.

By the way, is the interpreter world map totally separate from the maps that some people have on their profiles?

[Edited at 2006-12-09 17:07]

[Edited at 2006-12-09 17:07]

Andrey Perevodchik
Andrey Perevodchik
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:22
English to Russian
+ ...
it SHOULD have a CITY search Dec 30, 2006

the a CITY search is very importent for those employers, who plan to travel and need an interpreter in a particular city. Im surprized that I could not find it in your SEARCH

justin wrote:

We have created a new map-based interpreter search page. This page provides outsourcers with a means of locating interpreters by language, specialty and location. The "Interpreter World Map" has been released as a beta, and is available for testing/use at http://www.proz.com/?sp=interpreter_search

Interpreters: please follow the instructions on the page to make sure you are shown!

Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:22
Russian to English
+ ...
Can't find "English" as an option Dec 5, 2007

I don't do interpreting, but I was hoping to share this with a friend. I noticed that if I try to search for English in either source or target language there is nothing in the list. My interface is Russian language; I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Or else I am going blind!

Abkhazian, Apache, Aramaic, and Adangme come through just fine though...(wink).

[Редактировалось 2007-12-05 21:37]

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
City Search is a MUST! And what's up with the display order? Kudoz not counted? Dec 21, 2008

Dear Andrey

I totally agree with you. I live in a densely populated area - Sao Paulo - which arguably concentrates the majority of interpreters in Brazil. It's impossible to use the world map to find yourself there. And if I can't find myself, potential employers won't find me either.

I also realize that if you search for a specific pair in my country, the platinum members results are displayed in no particular order, basically randomized. How come Kudoz are not counte
... See more
Dear Andrey

I totally agree with you. I live in a densely populated area - Sao Paulo - which arguably concentrates the majority of interpreters in Brazil. It's impossible to use the world map to find yourself there. And if I can't find myself, potential employers won't find me either.

I also realize that if you search for a specific pair in my country, the platinum members results are displayed in no particular order, basically randomized. How come Kudoz are not counted? Or the recently introduced Pro-tag. It makes no sense to me.

ME

Andrey Perevodchik wrote:

the a CITY search is very importent for those employers, who plan to travel and need an interpreter in a particular city. Im surprized that I could not find it in your SEARCH

justin wrote:

[Editada em 2008-12-21 23:12 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com announces Interpreter World Map (beta)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »