Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa
Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:09
English to German
+ ...
...and a few specific ones: Oct 13, 2006

Well, I could think of a few possibilities to establish an identity of a job poster: do not forget, this is someone actually going to ask a translator to spend a day, a week, a month on a project.

But of course. Which is why that translator needs to make sure that he/she knows who she's dealing with.

If I remember right, when I paid for Yahoo services they would first do a 'test' if my credit card existed: 1 dollar or 1 euro was taken and then returned. If my credit card exists, I exist - sad but true.
So, if a non-member requests a job posting, you could ask for a 1 (or 2 or 5 ) euro transaction - that should be no problem.

Of course not...

This may not establish I am actually a freelancer or a company, but at least it establishes the person or the company that is behind the job posting.

...does it really? Some of the fraud attempts we have seen over the (almost) four years in this function involved paid member profiles.

I do also think that information such as a VAT number would be useful - unfortunately the rules about tax numbers /VAT thresholds) are not the same in all countries. But everybody has a tax identification number or a company identification number in some way or another, at least in my part of the world.

Requiring such a number is simple - it's the verification that's the problem.

I still think that a situation in which a job poster can submit actually very little information, and then 'gain respectability' by having his name on the job board, together with a Blue Board record, could be improved on.

A BB record per se does not imply anything - any credibility comes with entries, particularly as you can contact those who posted them.

I understand that, on the other hand it is very useful to add this record, as a translator then at least has some details about the outsourcer - but what if these details are not correct?

That's why you need to run your own checks, each and every time you meet an unknown (potential) customer.

Maybe it is not feasible, maybe it would be too expensive or it would keep people from posting jobs (well, there's a thought ), maybe the entire system would become too slow - but it would encourage people to register as a member (as this would speed up the job posting process).

I have no objections against attracting members for ProZ.com - but that on itself will not add any protection in the context we're discussing.

At least it has made me aware of the fact that you cannot be too careful...

Indeed, that's the key issue here.

Thank you all for your replies, and it was certainly not my intention to suggest the job moderators were not doing a good job - I think you are doing a remarkable job!

Thanks, Anjo - we really appreciate that.

Best regards,
Ralf

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Contact data can be updated only by Jobs / BB moderators & staff Oct 13, 2006

Hello Belkis,

Contact data displayed on Blue Board records can only be updated by us, Jobs / BB moderators, & site staff.

So, whenever you notice an outdated address or contact, you all only need to contact one of us - please only one, not all of us at once (sorry to have to say it, but it does happen and very often that we are all contacted separately and at once, so the whole team ends up working on one single issue instead of taking care of various ones in the same t
... See more
Hello Belkis,

Contact data displayed on Blue Board records can only be updated by us, Jobs / BB moderators, & site staff.

So, whenever you notice an outdated address or contact, you all only need to contact one of us - please only one, not all of us at once (sorry to have to say it, but it does happen and very often that we are all contacted separately and at once, so the whole team ends up working on one single issue instead of taking care of various ones in the same time), and tell us about it.

BTW, "these cases" are part of our "job description" as Jobs / BB moderators and assistance for these cases is offered only by Jobs / BB moderators.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2006-10-13 08:05]
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you. Oct 13, 2006

Hi Giuliana,

Thank you for the info. I haven't reported the Agency yet because I'm in the middle of a rather lengthy project, but as soon as I'm almost done or when I get a chance I'll do so.

Regards,
Belkis

[Edited at 2006-10-13 08:28]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
High volume, low pay, tight deadlines Oct 22, 2006

A posting that just appeared exemplifies many of the problems currently under discussion and, because it is so representative, brings to mind the above tagline for the Jobs Board as currently constituted.

Bob

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requirements for job postings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »