Joanna Sobolewska-Kurpiel
Joanna Sobolewska-Kurpiel  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2011

Hi,

I have got a problem with my first Across task - I cannot type some of the Polish characters.

I miss e.g. "ś" (for this I need right Alt+ S (or Ctrl+Alt+S), the same story with Ctrl+Alt + Z, etc How can I change Across shortcuts?

Help!
TIA

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean the online version Feb 10, 2011

Forgot to mention - I use the online version of Across

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:28
English
+ ...
Does switching to the Polish keyboard not work? Feb 10, 2011

I’m just wondering, but is switching to the Polish keyboard layout not working? Why do you need to use such shortcuts?

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it does not help Feb 10, 2011

I have always my keyboard switched to Polish layout.
Polish has more characters than English and the only possibility to get some of them is to use the shortcuts.
It is the same problem with Wordfast, but there I could just edit some shortcuts.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:28
English
+ ...
Did you find a solution to the problem? Feb 16, 2011

I find it strange that this would happen, since Across is made by a German company. In the Polish keyboard layout the right Alt key is technically an AltGr key and not really an Alt key, and a lot of other European keyboards (including German) also use AltGr to get extra characters.

Any software that doesn’t respect AltGr wouldn’t be very useful. We must be missing something obvious here…

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No solution yet Feb 17, 2011

No, I am afraid I still don't have any solution and no response from the technical support

Solution: AutoHotkey Jun 27, 2012

Hi there!

Recently, there was a solution found. You can map keys as you like by using a tool like AutoHotkey. It allows you to define shortcuts for the symbols as you like - and you can deactivate it quickly whenever you need the original hotkey to be invoked.

Please have a look at: http://www.autohotkey.com/

As the examples might be somewhat unintuitive, here is a quick
... See more
Hi there!

Recently, there was a solution found. You can map keys as you like by using a tool like AutoHotkey. It allows you to define shortcuts for the symbols as you like - and you can deactivate it quickly whenever you need the original hotkey to be invoked.

Please have a look at: http://www.autohotkey.com/

As the examples might be somewhat unintuitive, here is a quick example on how the configuration file should look to get the Ą when pressing AtrGr + Shift + a (and the lower case variant).

!+a::Send {Ą}
!a::Send {ą}

HTH,
Alex
Collapse

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 28, 2012

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

shortcuts for Polish characters?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »