ناشر الموضوع: Miriam Deutscher
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
تركيا
Local time: 16:49
أنجليزي إلى تركي
+ ...
Online help Feb 28, 2011

Online help file is at http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/SDL_Trados_Studio_Help.htm

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
عضو (2005)
ألماني إلى روسي
+ ...
Yes Feb 28, 2011

And you will find a lot of manuals if you install Studio.

Louisa Fox wrote:

because it was free

There's no such thing as a free lunch Well, this is the only point why a young translator or a student can use Across. But as soon as she or he has some more money...

Updated to correct my mistakes. Sorry for them, English is not the language I use frequently...

[Edited at 2011-02-28 13:29 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
تركيا
أنجليزي إلى تركي
+ ...
Seconded Feb 28, 2011

Andrej wrote:

And you will find a lot of manuals if you install Studio.

Louisa Fox wrote:

because it was free

There's no such thing as a free lunch Well, his is the only point why a young translator or a student can use Across. But as soon as she or he has some more money...

Even reading a manual of 700 pages is an investment which takes a lot of time. http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/193097-crosstank_tm.html#1694743

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
كولومبيا
Local time: 08:49
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
Sort of user friendly Nov 27, 2011

First I just want to say that I am not a fulltime translator. I usually edit and proofread my father's Spanish to English translations (he is a fulltime translator). I've done a few translations in the past, nothing major. I recently volunteered my time to ashoka.org and am currently working on an English to Spanish translation.

In my search to find a decent CAT tool that is not expensive, I found across. A free CAT tool for freelance translators? You can't be that. I hear that Tr
... See more
First I just want to say that I am not a fulltime translator. I usually edit and proofread my father's Spanish to English translations (he is a fulltime translator). I've done a few translations in the past, nothing major. I recently volunteered my time to ashoka.org and am currently working on an English to Spanish translation.

In my search to find a decent CAT tool that is not expensive, I found across. A free CAT tool for freelance translators? You can't be that. I hear that Trados is the popular CAT tool but I can't afford their prices so I went with across.

My biggest challenge was trying to figure out what all the buttons do but after reading the manual, I think I've more of less figured out the main components of the program. I think if you're looking for a program to assist you with your translations and don't have a lot of money to burn, then this is software to look at.

For those of you that are complaining about having issues with the installation or running the program, did you look at the required specs before trying to install it? I had no problems installing it nor do I have any problems running it on my 2 year old Win7/2.93GHz/3GB RAM PC. Make sure you take a look at the system requirements before trying to install.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Loreta Alechnaviciute Hoffmann
Loreta Alechnaviciute Hoffmann  Identity Verified
ليتوانيا
عضو (2007)
ألماني إلى ليثواني
+ ...
مترجم الموقع
On Across for clients - never again Dec 19, 2011

the worst and bugiest CAT tool I ever used. I tried to tame it 2 years. I thought I do not know any 'tricks' to make the software work for me, not conversely. I failed. There are no tricks. I attended many webinars and the lecturers had the same problems like me. The answers about specific functions that have eg. Trados were often 'no, it hasn't". To provide a qualitative translation on Across means to make a lot of manual tasks and to spend much more time as compared with Studio or TagEditor. A... See more
the worst and bugiest CAT tool I ever used. I tried to tame it 2 years. I thought I do not know any 'tricks' to make the software work for me, not conversely. I failed. There are no tricks. I attended many webinars and the lecturers had the same problems like me. The answers about specific functions that have eg. Trados were often 'no, it hasn't". To provide a qualitative translation on Across means to make a lot of manual tasks and to spend much more time as compared with Studio or TagEditor. And the quality is not better, because the most attention you should pay to the QA tool, not to the quality. I used Across only because one of my clients changed to it. For me was this change like a change from Mercedes Benz to camel After 2 years I decided not to take any jobs with Across - it is not worth because of big time consumption, instability and eternal 'server down', 'server maintenance' and 'your task cannot be delivered/retrieved because of an internal error' issues. I didn't used it as a stand alone version, but I don't think, I'll ever do this or I'll miss something, if I don't.Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
فنلندي إلى فرنسي
There are other free CAT tools Jan 1, 2012

Paulette Romero wrote:
In my search to find a decent CAT tool that is not expensive, I found across. A free CAT tool for freelance translators? You can't beat that.

Across is not the only free CAT tool. Here are a few others: 1) OmegaT, 2) Anaphraseus, 3) Wordfast Anywhere.

David Rocher
David Rocher
فرنسا
Local time: 15:49
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
+ ...
Across is a real pain point Jun 21, 2012

I'm very concerned because one of my tier-one clients' end client is moving from TagEditor to Across and so far, my first test runs with Across have been an utter disaster : it's buggy, slow and unwieldy. Sure, TagEditor can be a pain at times... but compared to Across, it runs like a dream, and the contributions from Andrej and Loreta Alechnaviciute Hoffmann on this topic only confirm my initial thoughts.

My main concern is that for this particular client, I can process up to 4,000
... See more
I'm very concerned because one of my tier-one clients' end client is moving from TagEditor to Across and so far, my first test runs with Across have been an utter disaster : it's buggy, slow and unwieldy. Sure, TagEditor can be a pain at times... but compared to Across, it runs like a dream, and the contributions from Andrej and Loreta Alechnaviciute Hoffmann on this topic only confirm my initial thoughts.

My main concern is that for this particular client, I can process up to 4,000 words per day in TagEditor (not including editing), whereas from my (limited) experience with Across so far, I can only translate up to 2,500 words per day at the best - and that's still not including editing !

Long story short, Across may require me to end -or at least reduce - a fruitful, long-lasting collaboration with one of my best clients, simply because it will be impossible for me to make ends meet (unless of course I can negotiate a 35% increase in my word rate - not likely).

When a CAT tool does the exact opposite of what it's designed to do - i.e. make the translation process smoother, faster and more reliable -, it's really time to reconsider your options...
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
إيطاليا
إيطالي إلى صربي
+ ...
a 60% increase in word rate Jun 22, 2012

a 60% increase in word rate, not 35%

David Rocher wrote:

Long story short, Across may require me to end -or at least reduce - a fruitful, long-lasting collaboration with one of my best clients, simply because it will be impossible for me to make ends meet (unless of course I can negotiate a 35% increase in my word rate - not likely).

When a CAT tool does the exact opposite of what it's designed to do - i.e. make the translation process smoother, faster and more reliable -, it's really time to reconsider your options...

Ismo Leppaenen
Ismo Leppaenen
فنلندا
أنجليزي إلى فنلندي
+ ...
Across - a pain in the a** Jun 25, 2012

One major problem I have when using across are the non-standard key commands, in particular when using the German version. To make a word bold, I will have press 4 keys at the same time. And that is just one the countless bugs and problems. Fortunately I have only client who wants to use across, and the volume is relatively small.

ianwrhodes
ianwrhodes
ألمانيا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Dreadful Jun 26, 2012

It is the most user-unfriendly CAT tool I've ever worked with - I know several colleagues who refuse point blank to work with it ever again. Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly widespread in Germany because the producers appear to be promising companies that the tool can do everything - it can't, as one of my customers has discovered. It may indeed be OK for the end user company but not for the translator.
I know it's more expensive, but I would choose Transit - not Trados or Across
... See more
It is the most user-unfriendly CAT tool I've ever worked with - I know several colleagues who refuse point blank to work with it ever again. Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly widespread in Germany because the producers appear to be promising companies that the tool can do everything - it can't, as one of my customers has discovered. It may indeed be OK for the end user company but not for the translator.
I know it's more expensive, but I would choose Transit - not Trados or Across - simply because it is vastly more stable and doesn't ruin formatting.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
ألمانيا
إيطالي إلى ألماني
+ ...
For Our Eyes Only... Jun 26, 2012

Hi,

The Across philosophy is: We are giving the software for free, but you are going to work for us.
I don't know if this fits everyone's purposes. Not mine for sure.

I just had to mention it elsewhere, where this prob
... See more
Hi,

The Across philosophy is: We are giving the software for free, but you are going to work for us.
I don't know if this fits everyone's purposes. Not mine for sure.

I just had to mention it elsewhere, where this problem has arised:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/227693-processing_across_projects_with_other_cat_tools.html

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2012-06-26 12:05 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
جمهورية التشيك
أنجليزي إلى تشيكي
+ ...
Across Jun 26, 2012

ianwrhodes wrote:

...it is becoming increasingly widespread in Germany because the producers appear to be promising companies that the tool can do everything - it can't...

Of course; it's still the translator who does the job.

And yes, Across is exceptionally user-unfriendly, buggy and – above all – heavy. It managed to slow down my powerful desktop machine by about 30%. I needed to reinstall Windows to restore the original system performance. After this experience, I'm saying "no more Across."

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
عضو (2007)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Try Wordfast if you want a quality CAT for free Jul 11, 2012

I use it for one particular client (who has a German end-client who uses nothing else) and found it to be slow, buggy, user-unfriendly and extremely rigid.

I've just accepted another assignment from this client and I'll be using Across again. I'm not looking forward to it, but at the moment things are slow so I'm going to give it another try, though without any real expectations of a better experience.

If you want a free (up to 1,000 TUs, I think, good enough for small/
... See more
I use it for one particular client (who has a German end-client who uses nothing else) and found it to be slow, buggy, user-unfriendly and extremely rigid.

I've just accepted another assignment from this client and I'll be using Across again. I'm not looking forward to it, but at the moment things are slow so I'm going to give it another try, though without any real expectations of a better experience.

If you want a free (up to 1,000 TUs, I think, good enough for small/medium projects) user-friendly, translator-driven CAT tool with excellent documentation and training resources, try Wordfast Classic. It simply can't be beat.

Liz

[Edited at 2012-07-11 18:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-11 18:50 GMT]
Collapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your feedback on Across

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »