Across Personal Edition - how does it work?
Iniziatore argomento: Cristina Di Bartolo
Cristina Di Bartolo
Cristina Di Bartolo  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 19:48
Da Spagnolo a Italiano
+ ...
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone know this CAT tool (Across Personal Edition)? I have to decide whether to accept or not a EN-IT job using this software. Quite big amount of words, quite short deadline. I've downloaded a demo version but no idea of how to start. If someone can help, it would be great.

Thanks in advance

Cristina

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 13:48
Da Tedesco a Inglese
+ ...
I would not accept the job, Cristina. Jul 30, 2007

I don't know this particular CAT tool, but you can't expect to start using a new CAT tool immediately. There is usually a steep and time-consuming learning curve and you have a short deadline. That's not a good match!

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Da Inglese a Lettone
+ ...
Simple Jul 30, 2007

It is pretty simple and easy to work with. I dont think you will need to learn much, it goes pretty intuitively.

ciliegina
ciliegina
Regno Unito
Local time: 18:48
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Across Personal Edition - it works fine! Jul 31, 2007

Hi Cristina,
If you've used other CAT tools you shouldn't find it too difficult. You would at least need to go through the tutorial though, since once I'd taken part in their online training I got along much better. If your deadline is really short this may be a problem.
I really like using it and have had very few problems. Their support has answered any queries really quickly too.

Cristina Di Bartolo
Cristina Di Bartolo  Identity Verified
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Italiano
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks! Jul 31, 2007

I've managed to get a bit more time, and I've finally decided to accept the job. Across seems quite simple to use, indeed. Thanks a lot for your answers!

Nicole Keller
Nicole Keller
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Interactive tutorials Aug 6, 2007

I know that I am a bit late with my answer, but I wanted to add that across also offers interactive tutorials on their website. http://www.across.net/en/training_center.html
For those who want to get started on their own.

Regards,
Nicole

pielka
pielka
Please I need an advice Apr 13, 2009

I´m student of university and I´m writing my bachelor thesis - CAT tools and its comparison.. Please, I have some questions and I´m lost about it, becuase I absolutely don´t know the answers.
1. Across Personal edition is somewhat limited?I mean only for 30 days or something else? Because it is odd that it is free and other version are paid for high prices
2. Can you have or know some good sites about comparison of CAT tools (functions, interface, for what purposes each of them i
... See more
I´m student of university and I´m writing my bachelor thesis - CAT tools and its comparison.. Please, I have some questions and I´m lost about it, becuase I absolutely don´t know the answers.
1. Across Personal edition is somewhat limited?I mean only for 30 days or something else? Because it is odd that it is free and other version are paid for high prices
2. Can you have or know some good sites about comparison of CAT tools (functions, interface, for what purposes each of them is good, etc.)?
3. Some disadvantages of Across, Wordfast, Trados, Transit, Deja vu?
4. Some evaluation of these programs?about their interface, functions, etc.
The comparison is very difficult, so do you

I would be very glad if somebody advice me about these questions.
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Stati Uniti
Local time: 12:48
Da Inglese a Tedesco
Advice Apr 14, 2009

Pielka,

here are some answers.

The freelance version is free. All you have to do is to register with across and you will be receiving the license key. The main lmitation is that it does not allow you to configure your own workflow and you can not create packages to send to others. For t
... See more
Pielka,

here are some answers.

The freelance version is free. All you have to do is to register with across and you will be receiving the license key. The main lmitation is that it does not allow you to configure your own workflow and you can not create packages to send to others. For this the server version is required.

2. Can you have or know some good sites about comparison of CAT tools (functions, interface, for what purposes each of them is good, etc.)?

http://accurapid.com/journal/34CAT.htm
http://www.jivefusiontech.com/product-comparison-fusion.php
http://lingo.stanford.edu/pubs/ijet2004-paper.pdf - xcellent technical paper
http://www.hutchinsweb.me.uk/Compendium.htm - Compedium of Translation Software with a good listing

3. Some disadvantages of Across, Wordfast, Trados, Transit, Deja vu?

All tools have advantages and disadvantages. This will depend on the translator in regards to what he/she is translating, what he/she is comfortable with, but first and formeost what the client wants. So that is a difficult question to answer.

4. Some evaluation of these programs?about their interface, functions, etc.

There are some evaluations out there under http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/

This should get You started.

Uwe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across Personal Edition - how does it work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »