Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:22
English to French
+ ...
Nov 10, 2023

So, after attending a highly relevant one day online event, here’s the skinny:

LLM are performing on par or worse that state of the art MT for big languages.
Once you leave big languages (En, Es, Fr, De and maybe one or two more) the quality of LLM output drops tremendously.
LLM have some flexibility to perform tasks that are harder for MT (gender style, applying a glossary with correct agreement).
So, on translation tasks, in Q4 2023 we can still consider LLM to
... See more
So, after attending a highly relevant one day online event, here’s the skinny:

LLM are performing on par or worse that state of the art MT for big languages.
Once you leave big languages (En, Es, Fr, De and maybe one or two more) the quality of LLM output drops tremendously.
LLM have some flexibility to perform tasks that are harder for MT (gender style, applying a glossary with correct agreement).
So, on translation tasks, in Q4 2023 we can still consider LLM to be the same as a new MT provider. Relevance depends on language pair and pricing policy.

If you don’t use MT in your translation pipeline, this information is irrelevant to you.

Some information will be presented in an upcoming video, a lot more will come out around the time of Wordfast Forward 24 (I’ll do a full presentation there).
Hope this is useful.

Event links:
https://amtaweb.org/generative-ai-and-the-future-of-machine-translation/
https://slator.com/event/generative-ai-and-the-future-of-machine-translation/
https://amtaweb.org/program-for-generative-ai-and-the-future-of-machine-translation/
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Dan Lucas
Giovanni Milone

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:22
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
It is Nov 10, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:
Hope this is useful.

I don't/can't use MT, but it's an interesting perspective.

Thank you
Dan

Philippe Locquet
Michele Fauble

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:22
Chinese to French
+ ...
I mostly agree Jan 11

Having tested extensively the quality between LLMs and MT, I could never notice a huge difference in quality when the game is equal (just prompting the LLM to translate with no extra fluff).
The advantage of LLMs really relies on the ability to provide context.

I remember a paper from Tencent claiming they managed to improve the quality of a translation by prompting the LLM to refine its own work, but I could never replicate this.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

1 Day conference on the state of MT and LLM, reality check

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »