Thread poster: Olena Shestakova
Olena Shestakova
Olena Shestakova
Local time: 03:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 25, 2009

Hello everyone!

I'm writing a research paper focused on personal names in cognitive linguistics, I would really appreciate if you answered my questionnaire (see the link below). It will take you just several minutes.
I'll keep you informed on the acquired results, so it’s well worth participating in the survey to get hold of my insight and analysis afterwards. Hope for your cooperation.

Questionnaire Link is here
... See more
Hello everyone!

I'm writing a research paper focused on personal names in cognitive linguistics, I would really appreciate if you answered my questionnaire (see the link below). It will take you just several minutes.
I'll keep you informed on the acquired results, so it’s well worth participating in the survey to get hold of my insight and analysis afterwards. Hope for your cooperation.

Questionnaire Link is here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=0NDAi151eT5IRVNT9zDWzQ_3d_3d

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
Yelena
Collapse

andreasnoah
andreasnoah
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ready! Aug 25, 2009

Ready!

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:26
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Survey complete Aug 25, 2009

Sounds interesting.
Let us know your conclusions!

[Edited at 2009-08-26 15:57 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Explanation Aug 25, 2009

Could you provide a little more explanation of what your research and the survey is about? "Focused on personal names in cognitive linguistics" - what does that mean?

Maksym Kozub
Maksym Kozub  Identity Verified
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
A minor bug in one question Aug 25, 2009

I have answered there, but I have also noticed something which probably needs some improvement. In the question on ways of addressing people, it is possible to write something s "Other", but you still have to select one of the "fixed" options, otherwise you cannot complete the survey. As you can see from my answer under "Other" ("It depends on the language, the person's age, etc.)", no one option actually fits there in my case, so I think you may want to add "Other" as a separate option (i.e. an... See more
I have answered there, but I have also noticed something which probably needs some improvement. In the question on ways of addressing people, it is possible to write something s "Other", but you still have to select one of the "fixed" options, otherwise you cannot complete the survey. As you can see from my answer under "Other" ("It depends on the language, the person's age, etc.)", no one option actually fits there in my case, so I think you may want to add "Other" as a separate option (i.e. another round-shaped button) there, not only as a free-form text field.Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Something's wrong Aug 26, 2009

I can't get beyond the 2nd page.

Md Abu Alam
Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 06:26
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
interisting Aug 26, 2009

Hi Lena,

Your research topic is interesting. I'd like to know more about it. I think you haven't included an important factor- culture in your questionnaire. Besides, you have taken a very wide range of age group. Wish you success in the research.

Best regards,
Alam

[Edited at 2009-08-26 03:42 GMT]

Hanbing
Hanbing
Canada
Local time: 17:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Comments Aug 26, 2009

Hello Lena,

I appreciate how straightforward and clean your survey is. But I do second Alam on the factors missing: culture is certainly one of them, and social and contextual factors. If you read into sociolinguistics, personal names and address terms are very separate research topics. A seminal publication on address terms is the distinction between tu terms and vous terms, and the factors of solidarity and power relationships. Personal names are so culture-specific that I do look
... See more
Hello Lena,

I appreciate how straightforward and clean your survey is. But I do second Alam on the factors missing: culture is certainly one of them, and social and contextual factors. If you read into sociolinguistics, personal names and address terms are very separate research topics. A seminal publication on address terms is the distinction between tu terms and vous terms, and the factors of solidarity and power relationships. Personal names are so culture-specific that I do look forward to how your analysis comes out. In China, people strive at a meaning in personal names, best wishes for a baby, allusions to literature or historical figures, rhythm, calligraphy, uniqueness, and so on and so forth. Names may be professionally given by people who can read into a person's date of birth, horoscope type of information, and so forth. Chinese names are so creative that they may demand a full-scale dedicated study.

Best wishes for your study,
Cuijun
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why I don't feel very inclined to answer research surveys Aug 26, 2009

All surveys and all people doing surveys (I mean all surveys mentioned and advertised via Proz and similar websites over the last decade) say that they "will keep you informed on the acquired results". This has never been true in the approximately 10-12 surveys about translation and related topics I have answered over the last decade.

What makes the results so shameful that they are never published/never transmitted to respondents?

Please Lena, make sure that you DO sen
... See more
All surveys and all people doing surveys (I mean all surveys mentioned and advertised via Proz and similar websites over the last decade) say that they "will keep you informed on the acquired results". This has never been true in the approximately 10-12 surveys about translation and related topics I have answered over the last decade.

What makes the results so shameful that they are never published/never transmitted to respondents?

Please Lena, make sure that you DO send your results to respondents... and make a difference!
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 01:26
Portuguese to English
Has the survey come to an end? Aug 26, 2009

Hi,

I can't access the survey at the moment - is it still available?

Olena Shestakova
Olena Shestakova
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Survey is temporarily over Aug 27, 2009

First of all, I'd like to thank all those who have responded and taken part in the survey, I've got lots of interesting ideas, so thank you most cordially.

This very survey was designed to answer general issues concerning personal names, not taking into account the cultural and some other points of view, though it IS really important to me, and I will enlighten this factor further.

Regards,
Yelena

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you sent out the results? Aug 27, 2009

Did you send the results to the respondents or are planning to do so? When?

Please do not say I was right! :-/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help on dissertation survey concerning personal names

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »