Please stop translating 'find out more' as 'sepa más'
Thread poster: sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
Local time: 11:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 24, 2014

I've come across many webpages (specially ads) where they translate 'find out more' as 'sepa más'. I don't know if behind this type of translation is a person or a machine but please stop using that horrible phrase. The right translation is 'averigue más', 'conozca más', 'obtenga más información', etc. but 'sepa más' is a NO NO.

Álvaro Dávila
Álvaro Dávila  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
I agree Jun 4, 2015

You are right. Sometimes the best translation would be "Obtenga más información" or just "Más información".

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
There are some good books about stuff like that Jun 15, 2015

Check out the sample pages (preview):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6071107741... See more
Check out the sample pages (preview):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6071107741

http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Spanish-USA-Variations-Vocabulary/dp/0764129538

http://www.amazon.com/Hablando-entiende-gente-Spanish-Edition/dp/1603966269

http://www.amazon.com/Hablando-entiende-gente-Spanish-Edition/dp/088272083X

[Edited at 2015-06-15 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A better option Jun 15, 2015

sjmdcl wrote:
I've come across many webpages (specially ads) where they translate 'find out more' as 'sepa más'. I don't know if behind this type of translation is a person or a machine but please stop using that horrible phrase. The right translation is 'averigue más', 'conozca más', 'obtenga más información', etc. but 'sepa más' is a NO NO.

The one that seems more natural for the Spanish-speaking mind, would be simply "Más información." I do not see the need for a verb in this case.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
Hebrew to English
Every language pair has these... Jun 16, 2015

...little phrases that are badly translated about 90% of the time.
I know if I see "במסגרת" translated as "in the framework of" one more time I'm going to go postal.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:57
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very true Jun 17, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

...little phrases that are badly translated about 90% of the time.
I know if I see "במסגרת" translated as "in the framework of" one more time I'm going to go postal.

The most irritatingly wrong translation in Hindi I have ever come across is the "About" of many websites. Too many Hindi websites have this wrongly translated as के बारे में. This is a totally ungrammatic, ugly and incomplete translation. The correct one would be संक्षिप्त परिचय (a brief introduction) or just परिचय (introduction).

Many such problems are the result of picking words from dictionaries and placing them exactly in the same spot as in the source sentence, in the target sentence too, without taking into consideration whether such an effort makes any sense in the target language or not, or whether it is possible to achieve an equivalent expression in the target language that corresponds to the source expression.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
German to English
+ ...
German: Homepage, Startseite, Website Jun 18, 2015

In German-language TV programmes and publications, they often use the English word "Homepage" when they mean what in English is really called a website (i.e. many pages). They don't realise (or they don't care) that "homepage" is the English name of what in German is called the Startseite. If they're a little more correct they sometimes use "Webseite" for website, although strictly a Seite is one page. More correct German terms for website are probably "Internet-Plattform", "Webauftritt", "Webpr... See more
In German-language TV programmes and publications, they often use the English word "Homepage" when they mean what in English is really called a website (i.e. many pages). They don't realise (or they don't care) that "homepage" is the English name of what in German is called the Startseite. If they're a little more correct they sometimes use "Webseite" for website, although strictly a Seite is one page. More correct German terms for website are probably "Internet-Plattform", "Webauftritt", "Webpräsenz".Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please stop translating 'find out more' as 'sepa más'

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »