Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:27
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 19, 2022

Anyone needing one more proof of how MT stinks?

Recently I was assigned a proofreading job, and when I loaded the original package with pre-translated segments to be edited by the translator, here is what I saw:

Untitled-1

Four different translations for the same term, within the same document, same context, in four consecutive segments.

And you call this dumb thing an artificial *intelligence*? You'd think that MT at least could be trusted with terminological consistency. After all, machines exist exactly to perform repetitive tasks in a consistent manner.

Well, there you go. You're been led to believe that MT is a useful tool for your work, and the reality is that it makes mistakes no 12-year old would make. You're constantly drawn towards mediocrity while struggling to escape towards excellence.

It still sucks, and if it hasn't been fixed it by now, you can be sure that it will suck forever.

By the way, by using MT, you’re constantly feeding it back its own faults, in a sort of diabolical error self-propagation.

Don't use MT. Unless you're OK with mediocrity, of course.

Anton Konashenok
Tom in London
Andriy Yasharov
Jennifer Levey
neilmac
Marina Aleyeva
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Preferred target terms Nov 19, 2022

You probably don’t want to hear this but in many engines and tools you can set preferred target terms.

Let us assume that this was done. How is the rest of the translation?

Jorge Payan
Stepan Konev
expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:27
English to Russian
Try 115 to 110 remove 156 confusing 230 numbers 180 Nov 20, 2022

It took several seconds for me to understand what all those numbers mean... Probably they are some part numbers or drawing positions, but they interrupt the normal text flow. If you remove all numbers or put them into parentheses, you get this (DeepL):
1. Il sistema combinato di produzione additiva e lavorazione (110) può includere una o più navette portautensili (230).
2. Le navette dell'utensile (230) possono consentire all'utensile di produzione additiva (120) e al
... See more
It took several seconds for me to understand what all those numbers mean... Probably they are some part numbers or drawing positions, but they interrupt the normal text flow. If you remove all numbers or put them into parentheses, you get this (DeepL):
1. Il sistema combinato di produzione additiva e lavorazione (110) può includere una o più navette portautensili (230).
2. Le navette dell'utensile (230) possono consentire all'utensile di produzione additiva (120) e all'utensile di lavorazione (180) di muoversi in qualsiasi direzione desiderata.
3. L'utensile di produzione additiva (120) e l'utensile di lavorazione (180) possono condividere una navetta (230) o ogni utensile può avere una propria navetta (230).
4. L'utensile per la produzione additiva (120) e l'utensile per la lavorazione (180) possono essere scambiati tramite le navette dell'utensile (230).

Well, ok, you made it to a good example of bad application of MT. In a text artificially disrupted with meaningless numbers. However, it is not natural for most texts to go like this.

[Edited at 2022-11-20 01:08 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Hans Lenting
Platary (X)
expressisverbis
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Excellent example Nov 20, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Anyone needing one more proof of how MT stinks?

Recently I was assigned a proofreading job, and when I loaded the original package with pre-translated segments to be edited by the translator, here is what I saw:

Untitled-1

Four different translations for the same term, within the same document, same context, in four consecutive segments.

And you call this dumb thing an artificial *intelligence*? You'd think that MT at least could be trusted with terminological consistency. After all, machines exist exactly to perform repetitive tasks in a consistent manner.

Well, there you go. You're been led to believe that MT is a useful tool for your work, and the reality is that it makes mistakes no 12-year old would make. You're constantly drawn towards mediocrity while struggling to escape towards excellence.

It still sucks, and if it hasn't been fixed it by now, you can be sure that it will suck forever.

By the way, by using MT, you’re constantly feeding it back its own faults, in a sort of diabolical error self-propagation.

Don't use MT. Unless you're OK with mediocrity, of course.

Thanks Daniel - that's an excellent example.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
There are two types of people Nov 20, 2022

It's always good to realize there are two types of people: it's potential meme material. I had an editing project that had been totally botched, the customer didn't even want to pay for it because they couldn't understand anything in the translation. And there was a guy in my company who did nothing but train translation AI. I gave him a list of terms with correct translations I wanted to see everywhere in the project; he spent a few weeks on it (the project was really big) and still screwed the... See more
It's always good to realize there are two types of people: it's potential meme material. I had an editing project that had been totally botched, the customer didn't even want to pay for it because they couldn't understand anything in the translation. And there was a guy in my company who did nothing but train translation AI. I gave him a list of terms with correct translations I wanted to see everywhere in the project; he spent a few weeks on it (the project was really big) and still screwed the job. And that's what happens every time they use AI so trained: the job gets screwed. MT adepts had better use their best effort to make MT output good enough to be used without editing (they believe it's possible, don't they?); I won't bother helping them to make that output any better

[Edited at 2022-11-20 08:39 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
legge 1 Nov 20, 2022

This year I worked on an MT project for a set of technical documents from Italian into Turkish. Some machines components had been listed as "X legge 1", "Y legge 2", etc.. It didn't take me long to figure out that the Italian text was in fact the MT output from French to Italian.

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
MT or NMT? Nov 20, 2022

This item is lacking some important information. What MT tool was used in the case example? There is, in my experience, a world of difference in the quality of the output from previous generations of MT (often free of charge) and the newest generation of NMT (usually subject to subscription charges).

Without this additional information, the item does not present a true picture of machine translation, which in my view (and experience) can be a useful tool to improving translation ef
... See more
This item is lacking some important information. What MT tool was used in the case example? There is, in my experience, a world of difference in the quality of the output from previous generations of MT (often free of charge) and the newest generation of NMT (usually subject to subscription charges).

Without this additional information, the item does not present a true picture of machine translation, which in my view (and experience) can be a useful tool to improving translation efficiency - and final quality if followed by suitable post-editing (PEMT).

However, using MT (or NMT) alone is a sure way of producing poor quality and unsatisfactory translations - and getting MT a bad name!
Collapse

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
Platary (X)
Jessica Noyes
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Lieven Malaise

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Waiting for the PEMT software Nov 20, 2022

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:

.... machine translation ..... can be a useful tool to improving translation efficiency - and final quality if followed by suitable post-editing (PEMT).

So Michael - when are we going to have PEMT software?

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
Questions Nov 20, 2022

Yes, but how long does it take you to fix those mistakes and how much can you charge for it? Can you make a living fixing those mistakes?

Hans Lenting
Matthias Brombach
Anton Konashenok
Stephen Fennell

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
And Nov 20, 2022

And even if there had been no mistakes, it still conditions the translator as it produces a word for word translation and the result is that the translation is stilted, not natural and it's then very difficult to fix. But agencies only care about having to pay the translator much less. Agencies that want and appreciate a good, publishable translation do not send MTPE jobs. I recently had one such task and it was an instruction manual with lots of warnings so there were a lot of repetitions which... See more
And even if there had been no mistakes, it still conditions the translator as it produces a word for word translation and the result is that the translation is stilted, not natural and it's then very difficult to fix. But agencies only care about having to pay the translator much less. Agencies that want and appreciate a good, publishable translation do not send MTPE jobs. I recently had one such task and it was an instruction manual with lots of warnings so there were a lot of repetitions which is suitable for MTPE, not like when the task involves marketing, but still, the end result was stilted, unnatural and I had to turn round the parts for them to make sense and sound natural. So, there you have it.Collapse

Alison Jenner
Anton Konashenok
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Marina Aleyeva
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
patent translation Nov 20, 2022

Josephine Cassar wrote:
it produces a word for word translation

I think it s not a problem as far as patent translation is concerned.

Sabine Braun
Jorge Payan

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 14:27
English to Finnish
+ ...
legal briefs Nov 20, 2022

Google still thinks that is means "judicial underpants" in Finnish

Tom in London

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
GT Nov 20, 2022

finnword1 wrote:
Google still thinks that is means "judicial underpants" in Finnish
Which one is "judicial underpants"?

Translators do not translate single words. As a seasoned translator you didn't try to translate "legal briefs" alone without any context, did you?

[Edited at 2022-11-20 21:39 GMT]

Kaspars Melkis
Jorge Payan
Josephine Cassar
Lieven Malaise
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Rita Translator

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 14:27
English to Finnish
+ ...
What if there is no context? Nov 21, 2022

What if "legal briefs" appears in a list of miscellaneous items?
Besides, in your example, legal briefs has been incorrectly translated as "legal documents". Not the same thing.

[Edited at 2022-11-22 06:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-11-22 06:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forget about machine translation: it still stinks, and it will stink forever

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »