ChatGPT as a machine translation engine?
Thread poster: Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 7, 2022

I added ChatGPT as a translation engine. For my language pair, it's pretty amazing.

I wonder how it performs compared with DeepL or Google.

Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:47
English to German
How did you do that? Dec 13, 2022

How are you interfacing with ChatGPT? How did you integrate it into your translation environment?

In my test of a longer bit of text, it made some serious mistakes that wouldn't occur in Google or DeepL. But, ChatGPT is not even a specialized translation tool and what it does is processing the whole text holistically, not just sentence by sentence. ChatGPT is clearly more intelligent by orders of magnitude - I can easily imagine it taking over the MT market if OpenAI puts some effor
... See more
How are you interfacing with ChatGPT? How did you integrate it into your translation environment?

In my test of a longer bit of text, it made some serious mistakes that wouldn't occur in Google or DeepL. But, ChatGPT is not even a specialized translation tool and what it does is processing the whole text holistically, not just sentence by sentence. ChatGPT is clearly more intelligent by orders of magnitude - I can easily imagine it taking over the MT market if OpenAI puts some effort into it.
Collapse

Mike Tung

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
API Dec 13, 2022

Ulrich Leininger wrote:

See: https://medium.com/geekculture/2022-how-to-use-chatgpt-api-with-curl-88830dec8a65

Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:47
English to German
Thanks Dec 14, 2022

I asked ChatGPT if it has an API, it said no.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does Dec 14, 2022

Ulrich Leininger wrote:

I asked ChatGPT if it has an API, it said no.

ChatGPT doesn't know it has an API.

Make an API request with

Translate into German: Hello world

And then extract the German translation from its reply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ChatGPT as a machine translation engine?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »