Thread poster: Mitchell Van Dyke
Mitchell Van Dyke
Mitchell Van Dyke
United States
Local time: 16:59
English to Hebrew
Dec 22, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to translate a pdf file of a rather technical botanical book from Hebrew to English. Due to my meager grasp of Hebrew and my limited resources, I am exploring machine translation options. I managed to dice up my document and used Google translate to convert the PDF into english, but (as expected) the translation is very poor and almost unusable.

I then attempted to used Google Lens via the camera on my phone, and interestingly, the translation is act
... See more
Hello,

I am trying to translate a pdf file of a rather technical botanical book from Hebrew to English. Due to my meager grasp of Hebrew and my limited resources, I am exploring machine translation options. I managed to dice up my document and used Google translate to convert the PDF into english, but (as expected) the translation is very poor and almost unusable.

I then attempted to used Google Lens via the camera on my phone, and interestingly, the translation is actually pretty good, in fact, very useable (but not perfect).

I have very limited knowledge on the differences between machine translator and the methods they use, but it came as a surprise to me that google lens and google translate would create significantly different results.

So my questions are:

1) Am I overlooking a simpler way to translate a large PDF file at a usable level using MT that does not involve taking a photo of every piece of text and manually inputting it into the pdf file? For example different programs that are more effective than Google Translate, at least as effective as Google lens, and are relatively cheap or free?

2) If google lens is my best option, can it be used in a virtual manner? Is it necessary to take a photo of the text first on a separate device, or can the whole process be done within the bounds of the computer screen?

3) Am I even asking these questions in the correct place? If not, can someone direct me to a good place to discuss this topic?

Thank you for your help!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Paid vs free Dec 22, 2022

It's possible that Google Lens makes use of Google's paid translator (for free). The paid version of Google Translate is better than the free version. The paid version is not expensive but it is difficult to set up, and you need to learn how to use a CAT tool to use it.

[Edited at 2022-12-22 09:50 GMT]

Mansoor Ali

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
??? Dec 22, 2022

Your post raises questions.

You mention you have a 'meager grasp of Hebrew'. Than how can you judge if a translation is 'actually pretty good'? Possibly it reads well, but that doesn't mean the source text is rendered correctly.
Also, you mention in your profile you translate from English to Hebrew. But you have a meager grasp of Hebrew. It does not really make sense.

Peter Shortall

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Botanist Dec 22, 2022

Renée van Bijsterveld wrote:
Also, you mention in your profile you translate from English to Hebrew. But you have a meagre grasp of Hebrew.

I suspect Mitchell is a botanist, similar to this guy, and not a professional translator. One can only post messages on this forum if you've registered as a ProZ.com user.

[Edited at 2022-12-22 11:37 GMT]

Mitchell Van Dyke
Mitchell Van Dyke
United States
Local time: 16:59
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Good MT tool for Hebrew to English Dec 22, 2022

Sorry for the confusion, Samuel Murray is correct, I am not a professional translator. I could not post my question without registering with ProZ, which required me to state what languages I translate to/from.

In this specific case, I am trying to translate from Hebrew to English, not vice versa, so it is very obvious that the translation to English is poor to me.

Thank you for your input Samuel Murray, do you know of good resources that would teach me how to use a CA
... See more
Sorry for the confusion, Samuel Murray is correct, I am not a professional translator. I could not post my question without registering with ProZ, which required me to state what languages I translate to/from.

In this specific case, I am trying to translate from Hebrew to English, not vice versa, so it is very obvious that the translation to English is poor to me.

Thank you for your input Samuel Murray, do you know of good resources that would teach me how to use a CAT tool?

Or more directly, is there a specific MT tool that people have found to convert Hebrew to English well?

Thank you.
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ok Dec 22, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Renée van Bijsterveld wrote:
Also, you mention in your profile you translate from English to Hebrew. But you have a meagre grasp of Hebrew.

I suspect Mitchell is a botanist, similar to this guy, and not a professional translator. One can only post messages on this forum if you've registered as a ProZ.com user.

[Edited at 2022-12-22 11:37 GMT]

Thank you, Samuel, for explaining, I wasn't aware of this, I'm sorry.
Excuse me, Mitchell.

Sebastian Witte

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try GT4T Dec 22, 2022

Since you've already invested your time in finding machine translation options, go to https://gt4t.net/ and test the best and most convenient machine translations you can get.

Maybe you can even find a free test subscription on the internet.

Cheers,
Gerard

Philippe Locquet

Cecilia Yalangozian
Cecilia Yalangozian
Argentina
Local time: 18:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google Translate plugin in Google Chrome Dec 26, 2022

Hi Mitchell,

Perhaps you can open the PDF in Google Chrome and use the Google Chrome extension for Google Translate to translate the whole document. I'm not sure if you want to keep the translation or if it's just for you to understand what the text means.
Anyway, if the Google Translate version is good enough, then just copy, paste and save.

You can only opt for websites that allow you to upload a document and download its translation. There are several websites
... See more
Hi Mitchell,

Perhaps you can open the PDF in Google Chrome and use the Google Chrome extension for Google Translate to translate the whole document. I'm not sure if you want to keep the translation or if it's just for you to understand what the text means.
Anyway, if the Google Translate version is good enough, then just copy, paste and save.

You can only opt for websites that allow you to upload a document and download its translation. There are several websites that allow you to do that, even Google Translate itself. Tip: you should save the PDF as Word before doing that.

You can check Machine Translate to have a list (not complete) of engines that support Hebrew.

https://machinetranslate.org/hebrew

Hope this helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine Translation options

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »