Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 18, 2023

Interesting article about the role of MT at the EU’s translation department

Some quotes:

Permanent staffers in the Commission’s dedicated translation unit — known in Brussels jargon as DGT — dwindled from around 2,450 in 2013 to around 2,000 in 2023, according to the EU’s executive.

During this same period, mental health issues and cases of burnout rose significantly among translators

translators specializing in less common languages have an easier time entering the Commission, since there’s less competition around rarer tongues.

“Irish students have loads of offers from DGT all the time,”

“I already know that I probably won’t be translating for the rest of my life,” said a young Council translator who spoke on condition of anonymity since she is not authorized to speak to the media. She added that post editing will likely be the bulk of her work in the future.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
True May 18, 2023

mental health issues [...] rose significantly among translators

I can clearly see that.

[Edited at 2023-05-18 04:15 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:44
Greek to English
Bad usage May 18, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Some quotes:

Permanent staffers in the Commission’s dedicated translation unit — known in Brussels jargon as DGT — dwindled from around 2,450 in 2013 to around 2,000 in 2023, according to the EU’s executive.

I don't consider that a drop of around 18% justifies the use of the word "dwindle", which suggests something decreasing until it's close to zero. This makes me question the linguistic ability (and judgement) of the article's author.

Not only that, but here's another quote from the same article that suggests the problem isn't as bad as all that.

But translators insist that their death is greatly exaggerated. Although the job is adapting to AI, the human element remains essential, they say.

Dan Lucas
Marina Steinbach
Oksana Weiss
Gerard Barry

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
That's what they say :) May 18, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Not only that, but here's another quote from the same article that suggests the problem isn't as bad as all that.

But translators insist that their death is greatly exaggerated. Although the job is adapting to AI, the human element remains essential, they say.

Here in Tilburg we say: Iedereen kan zichzelf belangrijk lullen. Meaning: the translators can say a lot, but at the end of the financial year the managers decide what will happen.

I'm glad I don't have to work in such a stressful environment as the DGT ...

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:44
Greek to English
Efficient May 18, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Here in Tilburg we say: Iedereen kan zichzelf belangrijk lullen. Meaning: the translators can say a lot, but at the end of the financial year the managers decide what will happen.

My goodness! Dutch seems to be an extremely efficient and compact language. Twenty words compressed into five.

I assume, Hans, you always quote based on source word count, not target.

Hans Lenting

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OT May 18, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

I don't consider that a drop of around 18% justifies the use of the word "dwindle", which suggests something decreasing until it's close to zero. This makes me question the linguistic ability (and judgement) of the article's author.

I have no objection to that usage. Dwindle = decrease 🤷‍♂️

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who killed the EU’s translators?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »