Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Quality assessment - how much do you charge?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:24
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 28, 2021

Hi all,

quality assessment of translations is something I don't have to do often, I cannot even remember the time when I last did it. Right now I have a request for one, and I'm not sure how much to charge. Any advice? Hourly rate obviously, but how much? Less than for proofreading?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Confused Oct 28, 2021

If it's obviously your hourly rate, the answer is your hourly rate...

Or are you asking how long it will take?

It would take me less than a minute to assess the quality of a translation. One-hour minimum charge then.

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
philgoddard
Tony Keily
Alison Jenner

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Hourly rate. Project cost will depend on what paperwork is to be submitted. Oct 28, 2021

If your client requires a detailed analysis of errors by category and severity, you may end up with an arm-long TQA report. If they need a pass/fail opinion, it may take 5 minutes to come up with the verdict.

Inez Ulrich
Inga Petkelyte
expressisverbis
Ruby La Cruz
Alison Jenner

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are right Oct 28, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

If it's obviously your hourly rate, the answer is your hourly rate...

Or are you asking how long it will take?

It would take me less than a minute to assess the quality of a translation. One-hour minimum charge then.

yes, confusing indeed! What I actually meant was: what do you charge for hour for tasks like this? Of course, it can be done within minutes, or with a full report it might take hours. But what is your hourly rate? Or do you have a fixed rate per hour, no matter what task it is (translation, proofreading, editing)?

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no detailed analysis needed Oct 28, 2021

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

If your client requires a detailed analysis of errors by category and severity, you may end up with an arm-long TQA report. If they need a pass/fail opinion, it may take 5 minutes to come up with the verdict.

yes, exactly, I just wasn't sure about the rate

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:24
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Less than a minute? Oct 28, 2021

I have been doing QA and none of them takes less than a minute - for downloading the file, naming it for my records, then uploading, that alone takes a minute or more. Now, assessment itself depends on the document volume and the quality thereof, for we are asked to correct what needs to be corrected and to justify each correction. And I could go on.

Iwona Budzynska MCIL

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Inez Oct 28, 2021

I have a fixed rate per hour for some tasks (adaptation, proofreading, editing, QA, transcreation), some require more time than others. I have never invoiced translation per hour, though my hourly rate is based on how many words I can translate per hour. My minimum charge rate is the same as my hour rate.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same here Oct 28, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have a fixed rate per hour for some tasks (adaptation, proofreading, editing, QA, transcreation), some require more time than others. I have never invoiced translation per hour, though my hourly rate is based on how many words I can translate per hour. My minimum charge rate is the same as my hour rate.

Thanks, Teresa, same here. But I really need to charge my hour rate as minimum fee, also for small translations (although I get fairly paid most of the time - I don't have any problem if a client pays me 15 euros for 30 words or so.)

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but ... Oct 28, 2021

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

I have been doing QA and none of them takes less than a minute - for downloading the file, naming it for my records, then uploading, that alone takes a minute or more. Now, assessment itself depends on the document volume and the quality thereof, for we are asked to correct what needs to be corrected and to justify each correction. And I could go on.

you don't do any corrections while doing QA. I just get an impression of the text and let the client know about it. But you are right, it takes more than a minute.

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Hourly rate is supposed to be a fixed one Oct 28, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have a fixed rate per hour for some tasks (adaptation, proofreading, editing, QA, transcreation), some require more time than others.

Exactly. I believe it is the only logical approach. The key differentiator would be the number of words you can process within one hour.

I show below how your price schedule could look like, with two different hourly rates:

Example 1.

Translation: €0.10 per word (~300 words/hour)
Revision (or bilingual editing): €30.00 per hour (~600 words/hour), or €0.05 per word
Proofreading (or monolingual editing): €30.00 per hour (~1,000 words/hour), or €0.03 per word

Example 2.

Translation: €0.12 per word (~300 words/hour)
Revision (or bilingual editing): €36.00 per hour (~600 words/hour), or €0.06 per word
Proofreading (or monolingual editing): €36.00 per hour (~1,000 words/hour), or €0.036 per word

As you see, the amount to be earned per hour remains the same in each option above, regardless of the task involved.

Inez Ulrich
Philippe Etienne

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly Oct 28, 2021

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have a fixed rate per hour for some tasks (adaptation, proofreading, editing, QA, transcreation), some require more time than others.

Exactly. I believe it is the only logical approach. The key differentiator would be the number of words you can process within one hour.

I show below how your price schedule could look like, with two different hourly rates:

Example 1.

Translation: €0.10 per word (~300 words/hour)
Revision (or bilingual editing): €30.00 per hour (~600 words/hour), or €0.05 per word
Proofreading (or monolingual editing): €30.00 per hour (~1,000 words/hour), or €0.03 per word

Example 2.

Translation: €0.12 per word (~300 words/hour)
Revision (or bilingual editing): €36.00 per hour (~600 words/hour), or €0.06 per word
Proofreading (or monolingual editing): €36.00 per hour (~1,000 words/hour), or €0.036 per word

As you see, the amount to be earned per hour remains the same in each option above, regardless of the task involved.

Thank you, Vladimir, that is exactly my approach. Just another question, if I may: Lately, I noticed that a lot of agencies hire cheap translators and then expect the proofreader/editor to fix that mess, of course at the lower rate of proofreading. A clever way to save money, of course. For this reason, I always ask to see the translation beforehand and then discuss the rate necessary for the work involved. This is more -retranslation than editing, of course. You certainly charge way more for this kind of work, too, right? And how much more, if I may ask? For me, usually around € 0,08/word. Or do you consider this too cheap?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
An hour is an hour Oct 28, 2021

Inez Ulrich wrote:What I actually meant was: what do you charge for hour for tasks like this? Of course, it can be done within minutes, or with a full report it might take hours. But what is your hourly rate? Or do you have a fixed rate per hour, no matter what task it is (translation, proofreading, editing)?

Yes, one fixed rate. An hour of my time is an hour of my time.

(That said... I do charge some clients a lower hourly rate because they wouldn't stomach my standard hourly rate, just as I charge some less per word. But I only take their work if I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs or if it's something I really enjoy.)

Inez Ulrich
Kay Denney

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Proofreading vs. Revision vs. Retranslation Oct 28, 2021

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Just another question, if I may: Lately, I noticed that a lot of agencies hire cheap translators and then expect the proofreader/editor to fix that mess, of course at the lower rate of proofreading. A clever way to save money, of course. For this reason, I always ask to see the translation beforehand and then discuss the rate necessary for the work involved. This is more -retranslation than editing, of course. You certainly charge way more for this kind of work, too, right? And how much more, if I may ask? For me, usually around € 0,08/word. Or do you consider this too cheap?

It depends. You have your own rates. I rarely take on revision tasks involving translations by unknown translators. I am gradually switching to working for direct clients, and my primary offer to them is the TEP package. This means working in tandem with one of my trusted colleagues, taking turns as a translator and an editor. The final responsibility lies with the original translator, who can either accept or reject the changes proposed by the reviser.

Regarding your question about the pricing for revision, charge anywhere between your regular rate for revision and your regular rate for translation if the original "masterpiece" calls for a complete retranslation (just advise the client that you can only retranslate it from scratch because it is beyond salvage).

As a separate note, you need to clarify what the client means by proofreading.

ISO 17100 standard:
-------------------------------
post-edit
edit and correct machine translation output (2.2.3)
check
examination of target language content (2.3.3) carried out by the translator (2.4.4)
revision
bilingual examination of target language content (2.3.3) against source language content (2.3.2) for its suitability for the agreed purpose
Note 1 to entry: The term bilingual editing is sometimes used as a synonym for revision.
review
monolingual examination of target language content (2.3.3) for its suitability for the agreed purpose
Note 1 to entry: The term monolingual editing is sometimes used as a synonym for review.
proofread
examine the revised target language content (2.3.3) and apply corrections before printing

Clients often want revision but expect proofreading rates

[Edited at 2021-10-28 13:26 GMT]

Tony Keily
Ellen Haas

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 28, 2021

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Just another question, if I may: Lately, I noticed that a lot of agencies hire cheap translators and then expect the proofreader/editor to fix that mess, of course at the lower rate of proofreading. A clever way to save money, of course. For this reason, I always ask to see the translation beforehand and then discuss the rate necessary for the work involved. This is more -retranslation than editing, of course. You certainly charge way more for this kind of work, too, right? And how much more, if I may ask? For me, usually around € 0,08/word. Or do you consider this too cheap?

It depends. You have your own rates. I rarely take on revision tasks involving translations by unknown translators. I am gradually switching to working for direct clients, and my primary offer to them is the TEP package. This means working in tandem with one of my trusted colleagues, taking turns as a translator and an editor. The final responsibility lies with the original translator, who can either accept or reject the changes proposed by the revised.

Regarding your question about the pricing for revision, charge anywhere between your regular rate for revision and your regular rate for translation if the original "masterpiece" calls for a complete retranslation (just advise the client that you can only retranslate it from scratch because it is beyond salvage).

As a separate note, you need to clarify what the client means by proofreading.

ISO 17100 standard:
-------------------------------
post-edit
edit and correct machine translation output (2.2.3)
check
examination of target language content (2.3.3) carried out by the translator (2.4.4)
revision
bilingual examination of target language content (2.3.3) against source language content (2.3.2) for its suitability for the agreed purpose
Note 1 to entry: The term bilingual editing is sometimes used as a synonym for revision.
review
monolingual examination of target language content (2.3.3) for its suitability for the agreed purpose
Note 1 to entry: The term monolingual editing is sometimes used as a synonym for review.
proofread
examine the revised target language content (2.3.3) and apply corrections before printing

Clients often want revision but expect proofreading rates

Thank you, Vladimir, you are confirming what I am already doing. I'm not working with direct clients, but only because I haven't found a good way of finding them and then getting in touch, also I do have a handful of trusted and loyal agencies who really respect my work and where I also have the last work on corrections done by one of their (also few and trusted) proofreaders. But such agencies are rare and hard to find.
Yep, I know most clients want revision, but for a proofreading rate Thanks for the ISO, a good reminder!

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good point Oct 28, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:What I actually meant was: what do you charge for hour for tasks like this? Of course, it can be done within minutes, or with a full report it might take hours. But what is your hourly rate? Or do you have a fixed rate per hour, no matter what task it is (translation, proofreading, editing)?

Yes, one fixed rate. An hour of my time is an hour of my time.

(That said... I do charge some clients a lower hourly rate because they wouldn't stomach my standard hourly rate, just as I charge some less per word. But I only take their work if I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs or if it's something I really enjoy.)

... and sth I have thought about so often myself - an hour is an hour. I will also lower my rate a bit if it is a client I like and who cannot pay more or if it is sth interesting or fun.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality assessment - how much do you charge?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »