Helena Ferreira
Helena Ferreira
United States
Local time: 02:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 28, 2021

Hello!
I have just gotten started at ProZ and have almost been scammed by clients twice already.
I used to work with platforms that took care of payment and contracts, so I'm unsure how to proceed.

What sort of payment should I accept, and would writing a service contract protect me against scams? Is there a way to receive checks safely?

Thank you so much

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:56
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Useful to read Oct 28, 2021

You may find the information below useful:

https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts

I'm not sure if you already know Translator scam alert center.

Helena Ferreira
Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Angie Garbarino

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sadly Oct 28, 2021

Proz is just not a particularly reliable source of clients

Agencies, direct corporate clients from traditional employment websites or their own corporate websites, and even bottom-feeder places like Upwork are far, far less suspect than stuff from Proz.

If you do stick with Proz for seeking clients rather than as an advice/venting forum, check feedback and verify that the people you are dealing with are the actual representatives of whoever they claim to be

[Edit
... See more

Agencies, direct corporate clients from traditional employment websites or their own corporate websites, and even bottom-feeder places like Upwork are far, far less suspect than stuff from Proz.

If you do stick with Proz for seeking clients rather than as an advice/venting forum, check feedback and verify that the people you are dealing with are the actual representatives of whoever they claim to be

[Edited at 2021-10-28 15:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-10-28 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Helena Ferreira
writeaway
Peter van der Hoek
Liviu-Lee Roth

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:56
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hints Oct 28, 2021

* Offers beginning "my name is X" (despite being signed) are scams. Especially if an academic title is added ("my name is Dr X").
* Offers containing irrelevant but glamorous details about the customer's professional engagements are scams ("I am currently at a conference in Singapore").
* Offers where punctuation is preceded by spaces are scams.
* Offers going into payment details are scams.
* Offers lacking the phrase "your best rate", or that don't request your Skype de
... See more
* Offers beginning "my name is X" (despite being signed) are scams. Especially if an academic title is added ("my name is Dr X").
* Offers containing irrelevant but glamorous details about the customer's professional engagements are scams ("I am currently at a conference in Singapore").
* Offers lacking the phrase "your best rate", or that don't request your Skype details, or that don't offer long-term collaboration as an inducement to lowering your rates, or that don't have a deadline the next day, are scams.
* Offers of reasonable rates are scams.

Exceptions apply, but these are surprisingly good rules-of-thumb!
Collapse

Helena Ferreira
writeaway
expressisverbis

Helena Ferreira
Helena Ferreira
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What other platforms to use? Oct 28, 2021

Adieu wrote:

I see, thank you so much. What other platforms do you suggest? I've been using Upwork but "bottom feeder" is a great name for it. I constantly talk to clients for 3 days then get offered HALF A CENT per word there, it's insane.

Helena Ferreira
Helena Ferreira
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How funny Oct 28, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

* Offers lacking the phrase "your best rate", or that don't request your Skype details, or that don't offer long-term collaboration as an inducement to lowering your rates, or that don't have a deadline the next day, are scams.

Hahaha, this is hilarious and sad. So if it has a reasonable rate and deadline, it's fake. Nice. How do people even work, then? Not doubting you that it's that bleak, legitimate question.

Daryo
Melina Kajander

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use common sense Oct 28, 2021

Just be sensible. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Angie Garbarino
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Wait... Oct 28, 2021

...they SHOULD request Skype?

I don't think I've ever used Skype in my life.

Or is this the part where you switch gears into full-blown sarcasm?

Joakim Braun wrote:

Melina Kajander

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
An odd truth Oct 28, 2021

The longer you talk, the lower your final price and chances of closing

It applies to everything.

Formal employment, gig work, selling trucks or old furniture on craigslist, whatever.

Helena Ferreira wrote:

Adieu wrote:

I see, thank you so much. What other platforms do you suggest? I've been using Upwork but "bottom feeder" is a great name for it. I constantly talk to clients for 3 days then get offered HALF A CENT per word there, it's insane.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Helena Oct 29, 2021

Avoiding scams is about doing your homework and being aware of how scammers work. Don't trust someone's pitch without investigating it thoroughly. Be skeptical and search, search and search even more… Good luck!

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Liviu-Lee Roth
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I avoid scams?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »