Thread poster: Melissa Reed (X)
Melissa Reed (X)
Melissa Reed (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2022

I am a new editor and proofreader working in Germany. I have two major clients, both European professors in my former academic field in the US. This is not my primary profession, but I'd like to continue with these clients and others in the same area of research since I'm so familiar with the literature.

I recently had another client approach me about editing her novel--a pleasure project. I offered a one-hour web call about any questions within 7 days of me sending the product as
... See more
I am a new editor and proofreader working in Germany. I have two major clients, both European professors in my former academic field in the US. This is not my primary profession, but I'd like to continue with these clients and others in the same area of research since I'm so familiar with the literature.

I recently had another client approach me about editing her novel--a pleasure project. I offered a one-hour web call about any questions within 7 days of me sending the product as part of my rate. She is countering with an open-ended revision process where she can always ask me questions, as she doesn't want any time pressure.

Am I out of line in my proposal? I'm curious to hear what more experienced editors offer as far as their deliverable besides the final proof.
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Bad newbie client Feb 3, 2022

I've had a couple of these over the years. You need to explain to them, in no uncertain terms, that outside of some reasonable window (like your proposed 1-hour consultation), further requests start running the clock for further compensation.

Furthermore, there's absolutely no such thing as a "quick question," contrary to what some people might believe. Depending on your generosity and how complex these further requests are, they should be billed as 0.5 - 1.5 hours of your time once
... See more
I've had a couple of these over the years. You need to explain to them, in no uncertain terms, that outside of some reasonable window (like your proposed 1-hour consultation), further requests start running the clock for further compensation.

Furthermore, there's absolutely no such thing as a "quick question," contrary to what some people might believe. Depending on your generosity and how complex these further requests are, they should be billed as 0.5 - 1.5 hours of your time once outside the reasonable follow-up period.

Most clients will understand and come up with lists of questions to discuss in one sitting. Some will unfortunately always try to kick up a fuss or still email you single questions sporadically, often pressuring you to respond immediately.
Collapse

Melissa Reed (X)
Melissa Reed (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suspicions confirmed Feb 3, 2022

Thank you for your thoughts. She is striking me as a complete headache. She also wants to send me a USB drive instead of using a file-sharing service. I don't really understand her reasoning. It is not sensitive information in the least.

What kind of terms do you offer as far as closing out a contract? Fourteen days after delivery? Thirty?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Make sure to get a tracking number and proof of receipt signature Feb 3, 2022

This USB shipping nonsense sounds suspiciously like an overly elaborate scam.

Also, use antiviruses. If this person is for real, they are probably afraid of files from the internet BECAUSE they've downloaded viruses before. (In Donald voice: SOOO many viruses)

[Edited at 2022-02-03 15:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Editor/Proofer with Business Questions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »