Thread poster: Heather Alejandro (X)
Heather Alejandro (X)
Heather Alejandro (X)
United States
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2022

Hello, fellow translators. I am new to this industry and am wondering how most freelancers prefer to be paid. This topic has not come up in any of the courses I am taking towards earning my professional translation and interpretation certificate. Do most translators prefer PayPal? Cashier's check? Something else? Is there any method I should avoid? I am based in the USA. Thank you.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
English to French
+ ...
Your choice Feb 15, 2022

In the USA, check is the best mode of payment, since checks are in widespread use (Note to European translators: that is the way it is in the USA, live with it), and cashing them is free.

Paypal takes up about 7% of the amount paid. I accept it only when everything else has failed.

Zelle and Venmo are (still) free for the payee (that may or may not last forever). However, these two systems are commonly used by private customers.

In the USA, most corporate c
... See more
In the USA, check is the best mode of payment, since checks are in widespread use (Note to European translators: that is the way it is in the USA, live with it), and cashing them is free.

Paypal takes up about 7% of the amount paid. I accept it only when everything else has failed.

Zelle and Venmo are (still) free for the payee (that may or may not last forever). However, these two systems are commonly used by private customers.

In the USA, most corporate customers pay by check, usually at the end of the month following the invoice month (IOW, an invoice dated January 1 is paid at the end of February), sometimes 2, or even 3 months later (I have had to wait more than 3 years).

For non-corporate customers (divorce judgments, transcripts and diplomas, vital records), I require payment in advance.

J L
Collapse

Ying-Ju Fang
Jorge Payan
philgoddard
Mohammad Naim

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:35
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Spot the scammers out there! Feb 16, 2022

Heather,

Whatever your preferred payment method, you should be alert to any potential clients contacting you with apparently appealing offers, from free or nearly legit (sometimes a consonant or vowel change in a corporate name makes all the difference) business email accounts.

Many scammers have been targeting newbies especially, by luring them with seemingly lucrative assignments, that soon enough may turn sour.

Please read carefully all scam-related foru
... See more
Heather,

Whatever your preferred payment method, you should be alert to any potential clients contacting you with apparently appealing offers, from free or nearly legit (sometimes a consonant or vowel change in a corporate name makes all the difference) business email accounts.

Many scammers have been targeting newbies especially, by luring them with seemingly lucrative assignments, that soon enough may turn sour.

Please read carefully all scam-related forum threads here and elsewhere, to familiarize with and steer clear of overpayment scams (the most ubiquitous) and other types of fraudulent online activities.

Here are the links for you to dig in,
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/355742-cashiers_check_scam_alert_through_proz_job.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/355663-an_advanced_form_of_scam_i_almost_fell_for_last_week.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/248549-languagemet.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/355724-pay_a_proposal_fee_to_work.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/336199-possible_scam_organic_farming_translation.html

Good luck!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heather Feb 16, 2022

Heather Alejandro wrote:
Do most translators prefer PayPal? Cashier's check? Something else? Is there any method I should avoid? I am based in the USA.

Payment by cheque or credit card is most usual if you're in the United States. Many bookkeeping packages include the ability to get paid by e.g. cheque, credit card or ACH. Such a service may charge a monthly fee plus a per-transaction fee. Here is an article about some such services: https://www.merchantmaverick.com/how-to-get-paid-freelancer-consultant/

One problem with payment by cheque is that it's easier to fall for overpayment scams or other cheque scams. The scam usually works like this: the scammer sends you a large file to translate, then you translate it, and then the scammer pays you by cheque, but something's wrong with the cheque (it's too big, or it requires some kind of "transaction fee", or whatever). The scammer isn't interested in the translation that you worked so hard for. The scammer hopes that because you put in so much effort to do the translation, you will be more eager to get the money and therefore be more likely to fall for the scam portion of the scam.

Non-US clients may not be able to pay by cheque or ACH, so if you're going to work for international clients, it's good to have more options available for those clients. Typically, you would want to use a payment method that your client finds most easy to deal with, even if it means that you pay higher transaction fees.

People in the United States pay for certain things that non-US people do not pay for, and vice versa. Non-US clients may be surprised to learn that EFT costs a lot of money in the US, for example, and that cashing a cheque is virtually free, so international clients may make incorrect assumptions about what payment methods you would consider acceptable.

PayPal does charge high fees, but so do many other services, and some services make you (the recipient) pay the transaction fee. This is a normal part of doing business. In addition, when paid internationally, there may be hidden costs that are deducted from the amount that you receive (from e.g. correspondent or intermediary banks), even if the client paid the full amount.

[Edited at 2022-02-16 08:21 GMT]

Monica RW
Monica RW
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
Checks from the USA Feb 16, 2022

Hello, I am a relatively well established translator in the EU. Once I had a customer from the USA who persisted on paying me with with a check - my bank imposed a high fee to cash it here in Europe. Never again. Just bank transfers (including the wise service). No PayPal either - too expensive. I do not accept to cover my customer's costs (banking costs) either as I do not intend to pay for my own work.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
philgoddard
Paul Lambert

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
ACH or direct deposit Feb 16, 2022

Checks only from HUGE companies. Cashier's checks, never.

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Checks, ACH Feb 16, 2022

I am also based in the U.S., and although you will get a lot of well-meant advice here from translators in Europe, please remember that our payment options are very different.

Checks and direct deposits via ACH are your best bet.

Beware of foreign agencies or agencies that will process your payments through their cost centers abroad. Even though they pay their bank fees for transfers, you might still be responsible for the fees imposed by an intermediary bank (in my ca
... See more
I am also based in the U.S., and although you will get a lot of well-meant advice here from translators in Europe, please remember that our payment options are very different.

Checks and direct deposits via ACH are your best bet.

Beware of foreign agencies or agencies that will process your payments through their cost centers abroad. Even though they pay their bank fees for transfers, you might still be responsible for the fees imposed by an intermediary bank (in my case, I pay $25 for each payment from UK after Brexit, very irritating).

We also take small payments through PayPal. The fees for receiving a payment in the U.S. are lower than in many other countries.

As for checks, we only work with reputable agencies, and had only 2 checks bounced/lost in the past 20 years. Both situations were remedied promptly.

Unfortunately, once you disclose that you are a "new" translator, you will be targeted by all sorts of scammers. This site has been an invaluable resource for recognizing and avoiding those creatures, so please read the scam threats regularly.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
philgoddard
IrinaN
Vi Pukite

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
US banking is still in the stone age Feb 17, 2022

I found checks a total pain when I came to the US from the UK, where they're almost extinct. My bank is miles away, and I would lose them in piles of paper and leave them uncashed.

Now they're my preferred mode of payment, since I can photograph them with the bank's app. The bank charges a ripoff $15 for incoming wire (electronic) transfers, which are also slow.

I put a note on my invoices saying "please don't use PayPal for payments over $200".

[Edited at 2022-0
... See more
I found checks a total pain when I came to the US from the UK, where they're almost extinct. My bank is miles away, and I would lose them in piles of paper and leave them uncashed.

Now they're my preferred mode of payment, since I can photograph them with the bank's app. The bank charges a ripoff $15 for incoming wire (electronic) transfers, which are also slow.

I put a note on my invoices saying "please don't use PayPal for payments over $200".

[Edited at 2022-02-17 15:07 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Regarding the incoming wire charge Feb 17, 2022

It's the oddest thing. I bank with Chase and it happens... SOMETIMES.

Quite rarely, actually. Maybe twice last year.

I have absolutely no idea why it doesn't apply the rest of the time, but have decided not to ask lest they "remember" some transfer charges they "forgot".

philgoddard wrote:

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
Preferred payment methods Feb 20, 2022

Time was when I used to accept payment from US clients by check. However, agencies frequently told me the following: "Gee, we mailed your check yesterday. It might take a few weeks for it to get to you". This proved to be a favorite stalling method and from then on I insisted on PayPal or bank wire transfer. The only clients I accept checks from are law firms as they tend to be solvent and reasonably honest. For agencies outside the US, Paypal or bank wire transfer.

Adieu

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not about archaeology Feb 23, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

The persistent use of cheques or checks in the United States and other English-speaking countries is due to the vagaries of common law vs civil law as well as some arcane issues concerning contracts. Too many details to discuss here, but it all makes sense if you understand it.

That said, it is a real pain to receive cheques here in Europe. I once received payment by cheque from a client, not in the US, but in the UK. My bank in Sweden told me the fees would eat up almost all of the value of the cheque, and I would have to wait three weeks for it to clear. I sent the cheque back and asked for a wire transfer instead, no problem.

I once did get a cheque from a US company paying in dollars against a US bank account. Same thing. I sent it back and got a wire transfer. Frankly, wires work for just about everyone everywhere, so that should be standard in our industry, given how international it is.

I am 45 years old, and I think I have written exactly 4 cheques in my life. There is a place for them in common law countries, but generally I think they should give way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New translator wondering about preferred payment methods

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »