Lila A.
Lila A.
Canada
Local time: 08:15
French to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2022

Hello,

I was offered a job to translate audio files from Arabic to French (voices messages, of bad quality by the way), about 15 minutes in total. I was asked about my rate but I have no idea. Any cues on how much should I charge?

Thank you!

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Audio-only transcription rates Mar 5, 2022

This is not at all a standard practice, so take it with a healthy grain of salt. But considering the audio-only transcription jobs are not a very lucrative market, for such projects I would charge half of my subtitling rate. Though I have seen some who set their rates at $1-3/audio-minute.

If the audio quality is bad, you can use that as a reason to charge a bit more.

[Edited at 2022-03-05 04:33 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:15
French to English
. Mar 6, 2022

There are two parts to this job: the transcription, which needs to be billed per hour (especially if it's bad quality, you'll spend ages straining to hear something and trying to guess what it might be), and then the translation of your transcription, which you can bill as for other translations

Josephine Cassar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audio translation + transcript

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »