Téma indítója: Jared Tabor
Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
Franciaország
Local time: 18:41
francia - angol
+ ...
employed v. self-employed Sep 16, 2010

The information Marie cites from p. 18 of the survey refers to salaried employees, not freelancers.

Data concerning hourly rates charged by independent professionals are on p. 22 and range from under 20€/hour to over 150€/hour.

Patricia

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentína
Local time: 13:41
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - spanyol
Translation in Brazil Sep 17, 2010

P Forgas wrote:

Here are the rates suggested by the Brazilian Sindicato Nacional dos Tradutores (Sintra).

http://www.sintra.org.br/site/index.php?p=c&pag=precos

Thanks for this information!

A new ProZ.com wiki page was created on "Translation in Brazil", in both English and Portuguese versions.

The information on suggested rates was entered in these pages but they are otherwise blank,and they are available for Brazilian colleagues to create content on the translation profession and business in Brazil.

Regards,
Enrique

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 12:41
Tag (2005 óta)
angol - kínai
+ ...
Aren't you afraid one of possible outcome? Sep 18, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Radovan Pletka wrote:
1 I can imagine somebody, who is just starting in translation and does not know how much to charge.
2 But do we really want to encourage such person to charge those rates, especially if he/she is starting with zero experience?
3 Rates also differ substantially from country to country, but in the Internet age you can have your business address in a very expensive country, live and translate in the cheapest country in the world, and benefit from much higher rates in that country. So if we tie the rates to location, we will only encourage more abuse of the published rates system.
4 In some countries the translation and/or interpreting is an open business. If you can do it, you do it and that's it. Publishing minimum rates there is usually the first step toward trying to limit easy entry into translation/interpreting business, together with calls for testing and licensing.
5 In other countries they have two tiered system, licensed and not licensed people. People, who have the government issued “stamp” or permission or license, charge much more, and often use services of non licensed people to do the work, then they stamp it and sell at the government rates. So the system is immediately abused and people, who are not it, are exploited.
6 I personally love competition and cheap translators and I have great respect for them. They work very hard every day to educate my future clients about the simple truth. Buying translation is like buying a car; you usually get what you pay for.

I support this idea. In particular, Proz's minimum rate is to hide out professional translators/interpretors from fair competitive bids on Proz Job pages. Those pages invite many and many novice service providers with risky work output---a worse working standard. And they induce quick and deep diving fee rates.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

If a survey result or a rate guideline in your country, or any country, turn out to be very low, wouldn't that make the rates that translation agencies are willing to pay even lower?

While the laws about "minimum wages" have prevented employers to exploit workers, a minimum recommended translation rate system could lead to the rates here even lower. Let's imagine, if a survey result indicates the average translation rate is $0.01 (which I have just faked up) in China, a translation agency might immediately think, Oh my God, I have paid much higher than that. I will start to pay $0.01 per word from my next project, because it is the minimum recommended rate.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 00:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-18 02:46 GMT]

Irene Elmerot
Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
holland - svéd
+ ...
Swedish statistics from 2007 Sep 27, 2010

In 2007, the Swedish Association of Professional Translators performed a survey among its around 1,000 members. The conclusion is dowloadable here: http://www.sfoe.se/upl/files/14248.pdf in a bilingual (English/Swedish) version.

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Ausztrália
Local time: 02:41
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Australia Sep 27, 2010

Guidelines by the Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators

http://www.ausit.org/eng/showpage.php3?id=831

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 12:41
német - angol
+ ...
American Translators Association (ATA) Sep 28, 2010

The American Translators Association (ATA) strictly complies with antitrust laws and does not engage in the discussion of rates according to the following policy: http://www.atanet.org/aboutus/governance_policystatement.php.

Further background and information about this policy may be found in the following articl
... See more
The American Translators Association (ATA) strictly complies with antitrust laws and does not engage in the discussion of rates according to the following policy: http://www.atanet.org/aboutus/governance_policystatement.php.

Further background and information about this policy may be found in the following article: www.atanet.org/docs/antitrust_reprint_may2005.pdf

The ATA publishes compensation surveys that fully comply with antitrust guidelines and are based on past income figures reported by ATA members. The detailed versions of these reports can be purchased, while a summary is published online (last available report: www.atanet.org/docs/compensation_survey_2007.pdf)

--
Dorothee Racette, CT
ATA-certified translator GER < > EN
ATA President-elect, 2009-2011
[email protected]
Collapse

ALFONS VAN HOOF
ALFONS VAN HOOF
Kambodzsa
Local time: 23:41
angol - holland
+ ...
Life style and 'cheap' countries Sep 28, 2010

I've been reading this topic with growing interest, but also growing questions. I appreciate very much the openness of Michael on his income basis. I believe indeed that 'income' rather than 'rates' are the driving factor.

But it is in the 'income' range that things can really go in a different direction. If Michael is working 35 hours/week (i.e. 7 hours/day in a five day working week) and 18.5 working days per month, that's about 130 hours per month (actually 129.5).
On the
... See more
I've been reading this topic with growing interest, but also growing questions. I appreciate very much the openness of Michael on his income basis. I believe indeed that 'income' rather than 'rates' are the driving factor.

But it is in the 'income' range that things can really go in a different direction. If Michael is working 35 hours/week (i.e. 7 hours/day in a five day working week) and 18.5 working days per month, that's about 130 hours per month (actually 129.5).
On the other hand, I am living in Sri Lanka, where the norm is more 10 hours/day, 6 days per week, with about 15 holidays and 2 weeks vacation per year. Or 10 hours/day and 23.75 working days per month, or 237.5 hours per month. Given a 'generous' salary of Rs 25,000 per month (about 215 USD/month) for a well-educated individual, that's just under 1 USD/hour.
When it comes to English, I do think that countries like Sri Lanka and India can be a serious competitor in the translation market.

But, on the other hand, for other languages, I don't believe that low-earning countries are a threat. The knowledge just isn't available. And, if the knowledge is there, what is the change it would be used for translation work? Knowing 'foreign' languages opens many other opportunities in business, with generally a much higher earning potential. So I don't believe that for languages, other than English, these countries will ever be a serious 'presence' on the translators' market.

So-called 'expats' are, at least in my view, not a serious disturbance factor either, because of their small numbers, and because of the need for a much higher income: renting a 'decent' house will set you back 4-500 USD/month, and any imported item (including food) is costing twice as much as in Europe, a car even about 4 times as much as in Europe. In my own case, I 'need' about 1500 USD/month with my family to survive here. With absence of any serious social security system or health insurance, I need to secure a monthly income of almost double that. So this comes really close to Michael's estimate.

Of course, for Spanish and Portuguese, the situation of South-America could yield a totally different picture.

Just my 2 cents of thought.
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Svédország
angol - dán
+ ...
Denmark: Recommended rates for legal translation and subtitling Sep 29, 2010

Here is a link to the guidelines from the Danish Ministry of Justice regarding rates for translation and interpretation in their domain.

And here you can see some guidelines and
... See more
Here is a link to the guidelines from the Danish Ministry of Justice regarding rates for translation and interpretation in their domain.

And here you can see some guidelines and recommendations from the Danish association of subtitlers and dubbers, FBO, regarding setting the price.

Both are only available in Danish.

[Edited at 2010-09-29 18:28 GMT]
Collapse

Laerte da Silva
Laerte da Silva  Identity Verified
Brazília
angol - portugál
+ ...
Sworn translation rates in Brazil Oct 1, 2010

Sworn translation rates are set by the states' Boards of Commerce and are compulsory.

Minas Gerais state's rates can be found at:

http://www.jucemg.mg.gov.br/br/informacoes/lista-tradutores-interpretes/emolumentos

All the best,

Laerte j Silva
JUCEMG No. 768/09

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazília
portugál - spanyol
+ ...
Spain: Libro Blanco de la traducción editorial en España Oct 5, 2010

I has just issued the Libro Blanco de la traducción editorial en España.
It can be downloaded here http://www.acett.org/

P.

Mary Georgina Hardinge
Mary Georgina Hardinge  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Spain Oct 11, 2010

The ACETT survey mentioned by P Forgas only covers literary translators working with publishing houses.

For other types, as well as the Galicians mentioned at the beginning of this thread, the Basque translators' association also publishes average rates annually for reference:
http://www.eizie.org/Tresnak/Tarifak (in Basque, Spanish, French and English: links at top right).
<
... See more
The ACETT survey mentioned by P Forgas only covers literary translators working with publishing houses.

For other types, as well as the Galicians mentioned at the beginning of this thread, the Basque translators' association also publishes average rates annually for reference:
http://www.eizie.org/Tresnak/Tarifak (in Basque, Spanish, French and English: links at top right).

Note the % markups depending on language groups, direction of translation, difficulty, format and delivery time.

Regards
Gina
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum recommended rates for translators to be referenced on ProZ.com

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »