2012 State of the industry report for freelance translators published
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:13
SITE STAFF
Sep 27, 2012

Dear members,

The "State of the industry report for freelance translators" for 2012 has been published in the State of the industry reports section of the site.

These reports are published annually, and are designed to take a look at some of the changes and challenges currently affecting translators, as told by translators. They include discussion of the trends, obstacles and opportunities to freelance work in the translation industry today, and how freelance translato
... See more
Dear members,

The "State of the industry report for freelance translators" for 2012 has been published in the State of the industry reports section of the site.

These reports are published annually, and are designed to take a look at some of the changes and challenges currently affecting translators, as told by translators. They include discussion of the trends, obstacles and opportunities to freelance work in the translation industry today, and how freelance translators are dealing with these trends. The full published reports are available for free to ProZ.com members.

You can view the 2012 State of the industry report for freelance translators by going to the Education menu tab at the top of the site and clicking on "Translation industry reports" or by going to http://www.proz.com/industry-report/

In addition, there will be a presentation today covering some of the content of the report for 2012 given at the start of the 2012 Freelance translator virtual conference, followed by a question and answer session. This event is starting soon, and is free for everyone to attend. Register for this event if you have not already, and you can see details for the State of the industry presentation here.

Thanks goes out to everyone who helped create this report by giving their time and input, be it via survey, email exchange or one-on-one conversation. A special thanks also goes to all ProZ.com paying members, who make these reports and all of the other tools and opportunities available at ProZ.com possible.

Regards,

Jared
Member services
ProZ.com
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:13
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks for compiling this report Sep 27, 2012

This is really a valuable report. I can only hope that many translators read it and if required act accordingly.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Distributing the report Sep 27, 2012

Jared wrote:

I think if ProZ.com wants to decrease the risk of these reports becoming available to non-paying members, they should state more clearly at the top of the report (or the top of each page) that the report may not be shared with non-paying members.

If I hadn't tried the report pages from a second browser, to test the URL, I would never have known that the report was meant to be secret.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Extremely interesting Sep 27, 2012

An extremely interesting and useful report. Thank you.
Jenny

cristina balletto
cristina balletto  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
really valuable Sep 28, 2012

Thank you for this report. I found it interesting and I recognized myself in it

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the feedback so far Sep 28, 2012

Thanks Samuel for the idea. I added a short line clarifying that the report was prepared exclusively for members, and was made possible by members' investments in ProZ.com.

And thank you everyone who has given feedback on the report so far, via this forum, email, or at the virtual conference yesterday (still one more event to go, going on now, be sure to stop by!).

Some people have suggested data that they would be interested in seeing in future reports. If you have re
... See more
Thanks Samuel for the idea. I added a short line clarifying that the report was prepared exclusively for members, and was made possible by members' investments in ProZ.com.

And thank you everyone who has given feedback on the report so far, via this forum, email, or at the virtual conference yesterday (still one more event to go, going on now, be sure to stop by!).

Some people have suggested data that they would be interested in seeing in future reports. If you have read the report and would like to suggest improvements of this kind for future reports, please take a moment to complete this brief survey: http://www.proz.com/phpQ/fillsurvey.php?sid=649

Jared
Collapse

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:13
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent Report - Work Space Options Sep 29, 2012

I also found the report very helpful and informative on how translators around the world carry on business. I was particularly interested in the General Data section which discussed the environments in which freelance translators work. Here in Canada, there are a number of freelancers working in a wide spectrum of professions who have chosen "co-working" as a way to beat isolation and connect with others. Co-working spaces offer drop-in space for professionals to work, as well as more formal mee... See more
I also found the report very helpful and informative on how translators around the world carry on business. I was particularly interested in the General Data section which discussed the environments in which freelance translators work. Here in Canada, there are a number of freelancers working in a wide spectrum of professions who have chosen "co-working" as a way to beat isolation and connect with others. Co-working spaces offer drop-in space for professionals to work, as well as more formal meeting and office space on a pre-booked basis. See: 10 Carden http://www.10carden.ca/about/ in Guelph, Ontario, Canada as an example of co-working.Collapse

Sibylle de Schmidt
Sibylle de Schmidt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Oct 1, 2012

Very useful!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
How many respondents? Oct 1, 2012

Perhaps I've missed it, but nowhere in the report could I find the number of respondent: for the report to be meaningful, much more information should be provided on the statistical basis and design of the report. At a minimum, there should be information about how many people answered each question.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Sources for the report Oct 2, 2012

Hello Riccardo,

It should be noted that the report is not based on one survey alone, but rather on numerous surveys, as well as one-on-one conversations or interactions and other data collected from sources on ProZ.com and the industry at large. It may be unwieldy to discuss numbers as well as percentages all through the report, though if this doesn't take away from the material it may be added in future reports (it should at least be stated clearly in the beginning of the report).
... See more
Hello Riccardo,

It should be noted that the report is not based on one survey alone, but rather on numerous surveys, as well as one-on-one conversations or interactions and other data collected from sources on ProZ.com and the industry at large. It may be unwieldy to discuss numbers as well as percentages all through the report, though if this doesn't take away from the material it may be added in future reports (it should at least be stated clearly in the beginning of the report). Survey-wise, respondents numbered in the thousands.

Jared
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe in an appendix (for the future, at least) Oct 2, 2012

Hi Jared,

Thank you for your answer. I understand that adding that information (especially when it comes from multiple sources) could be unwieldy in the body of the text, but I still think it would be helpful if added in an appendix.

Riccardo

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Question about some pie-charts Oct 9, 2012

In the section titled "Translator income, investments and expectations" there are 4 pie-charts, and the bottom two have the same title.
I read the analysis about them, and I still cannot figure out what the 4th is about, or in fact, which one belongs really to the text.
Isn't there an error there?

Katalin

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Rate activity among ProZ.com members and non-members Oct 10, 2012

Hi Katalin,

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

In the section titled "Translator income, investments and expectations" there are 4 pie-charts, and the bottom two have the same title.
I read the analysis about them, and I still cannot figure out what the 4th is about, or in fact, which one belongs really to the text.
Isn't there an error there?

Katalin

The bottom two charts in that group are two different charts: rates among ProZ.com members, and rates among non-members. The text does not expound on the two charts separately, but focuses there on rate activity among ProZ.com members.

Jared

Marquis
Marquis
United States
Local time: 11:13
English to Polish
+ ...
is this report for 2022 or for 10 years ago 2012?? Nov 8, 2022

I am quite confused, as this report seems to be 10 years past due LOL.....according to the date 2012 - YES, that was 10 years ago.....

expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marquis Nov 8, 2022

Marquis wrote:
I am quite confused, as this report seems to be 10 years past due LOL.....according to the date 2012 - YES, that was 10 years ago.....

The thread you're replying to is 10 years old, yes. The other one isn't. See:
https://www.proz.com/industry-report/2022
https://www.proz.com/industry-report/2012

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2012 State of the industry report for freelance translators published

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »