Site links will start pointing to new profile format
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
marybro
marybro  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
I prefer the old format Jul 14, 2006

I second María Eugenia Wachtendorff's opinion as well as other colleagues that the old format is better.

The old profile format is much clearer.

I, too, vote for choice.

The best analogy I can think of is a chronological vs. a functional résumé format. Yes, both contain the same information. But the presentation format is geared toward different audiences/readers. The chronological emphasizes experience gained in a year-to year sequence, how you ga
... See more
I second María Eugenia Wachtendorff's opinion as well as other colleagues that the old format is better.

The old profile format is much clearer.

I, too, vote for choice.

The best analogy I can think of is a chronological vs. a functional résumé format. Yes, both contain the same information. But the presentation format is geared toward different audiences/readers. The chronological emphasizes experience gained in a year-to year sequence, how you gained your skills, etc. The functional emphasizes the skills you have to offer now.
Collapse

alen botica (X)
alen botica (X)
Local time: 07:50
English to Croatian
+ ...
old profile is professional Jul 16, 2006

this profile looks like an outline or an invitation to a party:)

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I agree with the comments here regarding the old profile Jul 18, 2006

There are more similar comments here: http://www.proz.com/topic/50536

It's interesting just how many people prefer the old profile format. I'm glad that this was posted on the forums, since otherwise I would've thought that I was the only one.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I concurr. Jul 19, 2006

María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

The old format is elegant and clear, while the new one looks discouraging to the visitor.

This is not just my own opinion, but that of many other people I have had watch my profile on both modes.

All other site changes are great, and I have been using them all from the outset.

Profiles, however, are personal, individual... It would be soo nice if we could choose which one to use, Henry.

Thanks in advance for giving a thought to my request!

Best,

mew

I believe the tabbed configuration of the old profile format is easier for a visitor to navigate. The tiny little expansion [+] buttons are not clear. It is easier to find my portfolio, job history, etc., in the older format.

zax
zax  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Old or New Profile Format Jul 22, 2006

Old is Better

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 23:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
PLEASE give us the option of choosing between old and new format Jul 22, 2006

I don't like the new format either. And I was another member caught unawares by the change, until I went to my profile page about a week ago and saw that it was completely different. The new profile is ugly, difficult to navigate and leaves out very important information, i.e., years of experience.

I don't want possible customers seeing my new profile. The old profile format was much nicer looking and user friendly. As a Paying Member I should be given the choice of how I want to b
... See more
I don't like the new format either. And I was another member caught unawares by the change, until I went to my profile page about a week ago and saw that it was completely different. The new profile is ugly, difficult to navigate and leaves out very important information, i.e., years of experience.

I don't want possible customers seeing my new profile. The old profile format was much nicer looking and user friendly. As a Paying Member I should be given the choice of how I want to be shown to the world, not be forced to accept unilateral changes that, I, for one, was never even consulted or informed about.

And I totally agree with the person who posted "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." The old profile was great and I would like for that one to be the one that my visitors will see.
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
[sound of crickets chirping] Jul 22, 2006

You guys realize there is no moderator assigned to this forum, right?

Maybe sending a support ticket alerting the staff of this thread and these requests might be in order.

--
Dyran
(who also likes the old profile better)

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
I remember... Jul 22, 2006

Henry used to be the moderator here, true or false?

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

You guys realize there is no moderator assigned to this forum, right?

Maybe sending a support ticket alerting the staff of this thread and these requests might be in order.

--
Dyran
(who also likes the old profile better)

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
So the choice is no choice, right? Jul 23, 2006

Hi All,

I also prefer the old format. I am not against changes, but think PROZ should give us the liberty to choose what "face" we want to present to prospective clients. The new version is really unclear and of difficult perception and gives more importance to PROZ fields - barely important to most prospective clients... I dare say...

Wouldn't it be fairer to have the option of choosing which version to present to clients, so that we could choose what version we wanted
... See more
Hi All,

I also prefer the old format. I am not against changes, but think PROZ should give us the liberty to choose what "face" we want to present to prospective clients. The new version is really unclear and of difficult perception and gives more importance to PROZ fields - barely important to most prospective clients... I dare say...

Wouldn't it be fairer to have the option of choosing which version to present to clients, so that we could choose what version we wanted our prospective clients to see?

Off course, as a non-paying member you might say I am entitled to have no opinion, but since most PROZ members are non-payers (I think...) then I am still on the larger group, so I really would like to have a say on this, even because you are scaring my prospective clients with this new format

Please consider... All democracies improve with comments from their people.

Regarding the fact that this posting has no moderator... well, I am sure Henry keeps an eye on us. Even because we cannot say anything without approval... so there is certainly someone watching us here even if we don't see any around.

Regards,
Mónica

[Edited at 2006-07-23 11:38]

[Edited at 2006-07-23 11:56]
Collapse

Zilda Buzack
Zilda Buzack
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I do not like this new profile at all. Jul 27, 2006

I do not like this new profile at all. It seems to complicate rather than simplify access to crucial information, such as my CV, which used to be in a pretty good place before. One of the reasons why I decided to join proz as a paying member was due to the direct, no-nonsense way profiles had been designed. Now I see that mine has been changed for worse, in my opinion as a member.

I just wanted to give my two cents, even though I know it is too late. I think members should hav
... See more
I do not like this new profile at all. It seems to complicate rather than simplify access to crucial information, such as my CV, which used to be in a pretty good place before. One of the reasons why I decided to join proz as a paying member was due to the direct, no-nonsense way profiles had been designed. Now I see that mine has been changed for worse, in my opinion as a member.

I just wanted to give my two cents, even though I know it is too late. I think members should have been polled before any changes would have been made to their profiles.

Zilda Buzack
Portuguese Interpreter/Translator/Voice
Collapse

punam
punam
English to Gujarati
+ ...
OLD IS GOLD Aug 2, 2006

The old profile is easy to understand and secured. New profile seems less professional for a site like PROZ.

Common we are here to do serious proffessional jobs and not here to disclose our personal details through new site. where is our data protection?
And it is complicated and waste of time understanding and getting used to.....
Please give me my old site back i can not swicth back i want it as default site.
Please help.

punam
punam
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Problems with new site Aug 2, 2006

I have experienced two problems.
my password keep changing.
paypal sign vanished though i have paid for it.
lastly i VOTE for old profile.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
It seems that... Aug 5, 2006

things are getting better, for some site links have started pointing to the old profile format.

[Edited at 2006-08-05 17:08]

Flavia Martins dos Santos
Flavia Martins dos Santos  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I think the old style is much better, how can I use the old one? Aug 7, 2006

Henry wrote:

Over the past several months, we have created and optimized a new profile format based on requests and feedback from members. Among the features included in the new profiles are an availability calendar, customer feedback, member-to-member crosslinking, search engine improvements, a map, the ability to localize content, standardized and customized views of profile data, and more.

As announced several times since May, we will now begin to point to the new profiles from various points throughout the site.

When you are logged in, your new profile is visible at http://www.proz.com/profile

Your old profiles will continue to be accessible, if you so choose. To access your old profile, go to http://www.proz.com/pro

In other words, you now have two profiles. You can use the old one, but the site will be pointing primarily to the new one.

Martine Rey
Martine Rey
France
Local time: 07:50
English to German
+ ...
Out with the old, in with the new :-)) Aug 13, 2006

This may be dated by now, but here you go anyway :

Old or new, good or bad, this does seem a bit like a storm in a teacup, doesn't it?

You still do have choice and flexibility, as other members have outlined.

I actually like the new format quite a bit (a lot better than the old one), but that's beside the point. Isn't the real issue that we are creatures of habit, and those habits are hard to let go off.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site links will start pointing to new profile format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »