texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Stefanie Sep 28, 2007

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

Hi everybody,

I read a few times that people want to see the Upcoming Events section further down. In his introductory posting Colin explained where you can change the location of this section (and the other sections):

Colin Brady wrote:
One notable new feature is the ability to customize the home page. You can decide what gets shown, and how much of it gets shown on the home page.

Thank you Stefanie, I didn't realize it was possible. Actually I was under the impression that I had to drag the sections in the main page...
I apologize Colin, it's a very nice feature. Great job!

Have a nice day!

[Edited at 2007-09-28 15:24]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Script error Sep 28, 2007

I was really excited to see this new change being tested, but then when I tried the link - I got a script error!

I am using SlimBrowser and am logged into the site. Does anybody else have the same problem? Any clue on how to fix this so I can take a look at the new design?

Thanks!

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can switch to new design in profile as well... Sep 28, 2007

Hi Viktoria,

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I was really excited to see this new change being tested, but then when I tried the link - I got a script error!

I am using SlimBrowser and am logged into the site. Does anybody else have the same problem? Any clue on how to fix this so I can take a look at the new design?

Thanks!

I'll look into fixing that bug in SlimBrowser, but in the meantime you should be able to switch back and forth under the settings tab in your profile.

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback from members... Sep 28, 2007

Hi Dilshod,

Dilshod Madolimov wrote:

Hi Colin,

Colin Brady wrote:

Currently, the new design is only open to members.

I am agree with Liliana Roman-Hamilton, why it is visible or accessible to members only? I think it must be accessible for everyone. Please comment.

The design will eventually be available to everyone. First, we would like to get feedback and suggestions from members.

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Thanks - it works! Sep 28, 2007

Thanks Colin! Even though I can't change this on the homepage, it works when I change my settings in my profile.

Well, the change is subtle, the corporate identity is preserved, but the homepage layout sure is different. I can't say anything got better, as I was already happy with the way things were before, as opposed to other users. But I guess this comes from my ability to adapt to pretty much anything, and maybe other users who weren't as happy with the old (or current?) design
... See more
Thanks Colin! Even though I can't change this on the homepage, it works when I change my settings in my profile.

Well, the change is subtle, the corporate identity is preserved, but the homepage layout sure is different. I can't say anything got better, as I was already happy with the way things were before, as opposed to other users. But I guess this comes from my ability to adapt to pretty much anything, and maybe other users who weren't as happy with the old (or current?) design are right - it may have been more cluttered.

I would have been more interested in a different look - different colours (I'm not much into the yellow colour scheme), different menus, etc. Still, I think I will keep the new design. I like the slightly more modern look of it. It is nice, because it's updated without being futuristic.

Keep up the good work, Colin!
Collapse

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:32
French to English
Small prob with forums Sep 29, 2007

Hi Colin

I've just met with a small problem- I couldn't find the forum postings for the regional conference in France. I used to be able to access them from the conference page, but this option seems to have disappeared.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Color coordination... Sep 29, 2007

I like the new layout, especially the options to configure it - it is good to personalize it to one's tastes.

However, the colors do look bad to me... Especially the highly contrasting backgrounds are heavy on the eyes! For example, on the forum page we have five colors of the backgrounds: the top and bottom bars (olive), the bottom bar and sidebar background (very dark olive), the narrow top bar and forum bar (dark sea-green), the forum background (manila), the past postings backgr
... See more
I like the new layout, especially the options to configure it - it is good to personalize it to one's tastes.

However, the colors do look bad to me... Especially the highly contrasting backgrounds are heavy on the eyes! For example, on the forum page we have five colors of the backgrounds: the top and bottom bars (olive), the bottom bar and sidebar background (very dark olive), the narrow top bar and forum bar (dark sea-green), the forum background (manila), the past postings background (darker... um.. something? - only when posting, of course) and the general background (light gray). Because of that, the colors, instead of being a visual aide, rather confuse the viewer as to what is the prominent element of the page...

I would not recommend changing the entire color scheme, but I think that the light gray background could be replaced with something more toned to the other colors (maybe much lighter manila tint? After all, the manila became a semi-official ProZ color, didn't it? ).

[Edited at 2007-09-29 13:25]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Feedback Sep 29, 2007

I just noticed that, in forum posts, the left field of a post is too narrow. This makes the info found there a bit hard to read. For example, language pairs are broken up.

English
to French

instead of

English to French

Also, for a person who is in the United Arab Emirates or the Central African Republic, this will really clutter up that space.

So, maybe you would like to expand that space a little, maybe by 50%
... See more
I just noticed that, in forum posts, the left field of a post is too narrow. This makes the info found there a bit hard to read. For example, language pairs are broken up.

English
to French

instead of

English to French

Also, for a person who is in the United Arab Emirates or the Central African Republic, this will really clutter up that space.

So, maybe you would like to expand that space a little, maybe by 50% (should be enough, no?). Just a suggestion...

EDIT: You may want to consider using smaller fonts for the left field of forum posts to save some room.

[Edited at 2007-09-30 02:53]
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Doesn't seem to work for me Sep 29, 2007

When I click on the switch design icon on the top of the page, I get an error message...

Jennifer

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think it's a bug Sep 30, 2007

Hi Jennifer,

The same thing happened to me, and I think it's probably a bug, but I was still able to change the site version via the settings tab in my profile. Click on settings, account type and scroll down to the "site version" option.

Hope that works!

Becky.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Still waiting for an answer... Oct 1, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

In the Kudoz section, there's now a bit in my user box under my Kudoz points which says "open answers: 1" with the "1" clickable. When I click on it it takes me to the "search the latest questions" page. What is this function for? What are these open questions? As far as I'm aware I've closed all the questions I've ever asked.

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incorrect open question count has been fixed Oct 1, 2007

Hi Marie-Hélène,

In the Kudoz section, there's now a bit in my user box under my Kudoz points which says "open answers: 1" with the "1" clickable. When I click on it it takes me to the "search the latest questions" page. What is this function for? What are these open questions? As far as I'm aware I've closed all the questions I've ever asked.

Thanks for your patience. Gaston has fixed the open question count.

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Switching design bug should be fixed. Oct 1, 2007

Hi Jennifer,

Jennifer Baker wrote:

When I click on the switch design icon on the top of the page, I get an error message...

Jennifer

This should be fixed. Sorry!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 1, 2007

Colin Brady wrote:

Hi Marie-Hélène,

Thanks for your patience. Gaston has fixed the open question count.

In fact it now reads "open questions: 0".

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Almost everything seems fine Oct 1, 2007

I`ve been using the new design for 5 days and everythings seems fine, except that Willingness to work again is out if its frame. I don´t know whether this happens only in my profile, or it´s a general bug.

I`d also like to suggest something: Is it possible to change the colour of the questions closed without grading in the Kudoz list to differentiate them from those still opened?

Thank you
Marina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Members: A new ProZ.com design is now available for testing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »