Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Local time: 10:38
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 2, 2021

Hi,

I work with Trados Studio 2021. Last week I installed the last update of this version, but I am shocked, how many bugs and errors it contains. It crashes all the time. It's nearly impossible to work more than 30 minutes without several error messages. Does anyone use the last update without problems? Is there any way to fix all these very varied errors, or do I have to install the previous version again as this new update doesn't work at all?

Does anyone know a CAT-
... See more
Hi,

I work with Trados Studio 2021. Last week I installed the last update of this version, but I am shocked, how many bugs and errors it contains. It crashes all the time. It's nearly impossible to work more than 30 minutes without several error messages. Does anyone use the last update without problems? Is there any way to fix all these very varied errors, or do I have to install the previous version again as this new update doesn't work at all?

Does anyone know a CAT-tool, which supports Trados-packages? I have very good experience with MemoQ within "normal" projects, but can I import packages/world packages to it?

After all I am really tired of Trados. Same problems again and again with every new Studio-version. And I really don't want to support their bad programs with purchasing an expensive maintanance-contract.

Before someone tells me my computer is to old or to small - it's not

Kind regards
Annette
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Processing Studio files Dec 2, 2021

Annette Bredewold wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know a CAT-tool, which supports Trados-packages? I have very good experience with MemoQ within "normal" projects, but can I import packages/world packages to it?

Kind regards
Annette

Sure, there is MemoQ and Cafetran, both import/export sdlrpx/sdlrtx files.
Wordfast Pro 6 imports sdlrpx files but I'm not sure it exports return packages.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:38
English to Russian
sdlrpx is a return package file format Dec 2, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Wordfast Pro 6 imports sdlrpx files but I'm not sure it exports return packages.
The project package file format is sdlppx. Sdlrpx is the return one.
What regards the subject question, yes, I use the latest update without problems.
Did you try to describe your situation at the RWS community site? It is a dedicated place to resolve technical issues for free and without any extra pay or support agreements. If it is Trados that fails [to do this or that], RWS experts will help you sort it out.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:38
English to Russian
Below is an example of how they solve issues Dec 2, 2021

Even though the question was asked without any specific details, a support ticket was opened immediately. You don’t need a maintenance contract for that.
B41D158A-13EF-4A10-B954-2083FBA97A52
If you posted your question there, probably you could already have a solution.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The sdlppx is a zipped folder Dec 2, 2021

Annette Bredewold wrote:
Kind regards
Annette

I think most offline CAT tools support the Studio format sdlppx, so if you for instance are using Deja vu as I do, and are not able to unpack the studio package with Studio, what you could try is as follows:
Change the .sdlppx extension to .zip
Unpack the zip file in the normal fashion. You will then see that the folder structure will be as follows:
Skjermbilde
It would be the sdlxliff file in the target language folder (in my case: nb-NO) that you would want to translate.

When you are finished, paste your translated sdlxliff file in the target language folder.

The problem would, of course be to create the return package, but it again is a zip file which basically has the following folders:
Skjermbilde
The problem here is, of course, the folder File types, which I don't know how essential is, but at least you could zip the source and target folders and return that to the client.

Not ideal but a possible solution.

Roy

Stepan Konev

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! I think I will purchase MemoQ as I am already used to work with it. Dec 2, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Annette Bredewold wrote:

Hi,

Kind regards
Annette

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To many errors for RWS community Dec 2, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

What regards the subject question, yes, I use the latest update without problems.
Did you try to describe your situation at the RWS community site? It is a dedicated place to resolve technical issues for free and without any extra pay or support agreements. If it is Trados that fails [to do this or that], RWS experts will help you sort it out.

Dear Stephan,

Thank you very much for your reply. I know about RWS community. After I updated Trados until today I got 137 error massages (38 different errors). I have huge projects to translate, my clients are waiting. I lost already a huge amount of time on this non-working program. My clients can't wait this long, because this program fails and fails and fails... I tried to find work-arounds within RWS community, sometimes it worked for an hour or two. I am not the only one, who is terrified by this version. There a houndreds of questions within the last month. But nice to hear, that there is at least one, who can manage to work withit without problems.

Kind regards
Annette

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Dec 2, 2021

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Annette Bredewold wrote:
Kind regards
Annette

I think most offline CAT tools support the Studio format sdlppx, so if you for instance are using Deja vu as I do, and are not able to unpack the studio package with Studio, what you could try is as follows:
Change the .sdlppx extension to .zip
Unpack the zip file in the normal fashion. You will then see that the folder structure will be as follows:
Skjermbilde
It would be the sdlxliff file in the target language folder (in my case: nb-NO) that you would want to translate.

When you are finished, paste your translated sdlxliff file in the target language folder.

The problem would, of course be to create the return package, but it again is a zip file which basically has the following folders:
Skjermbilde
The problem here is, of course, the folder File types, which I don't know how essential is, but at least you could zip the source and target folders and return that to the client.

Not ideal but a possible solution.

Roy

Hej Roy,

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Kind regards
Annette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Last update for Trados Studio 2021

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »