SDL Trados Studio 2019 - Newbie question - How to review already translated Word documents ?
Thread poster: Sylvain Carlier (X)
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Belgium
Local time: 02:54
Dutch to French
+ ...
Dec 22, 2021

Hi All,

I've just received a bunch of translated Word documents that I'm asked to review.

I am a total beginner. Could somebody explain to me how I can use SDL Trados Studio 2019 to review the translations? I'm lost.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
The simplest way Dec 22, 2021

Sylvain Carlier wrote:

Hi All,

I've just received a bunch of translated Word documents that I'm asked to review.

I am a total beginner. Could somebody explain to me how I can use SDL Trados Studio 2019 to review the translations? I'm lost.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Go to Translate Single Document (under File), select your Word file, open it in Trados, add your TM and you are ready to go. You can use Track Changes to highlight all the changes you make.

Since you are talking about 'a bunch of translated Word documents', it may be handy to make a Project first (all files in one project). Go to New Project and follow the instructions, open it, add your TM, and voila.

[Edited at 2021-12-22 13:06 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

Sylvain Carlier (X)
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I import both source and target language documents into Trados for reviewing. Dec 22, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Sylvain Carlier wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Go to Translate Single Document (under File), select your Word file, open it in Trados, add your TM and you are ready to go. You can use Track Changes to highlight all the changes you make.

Since you are talking about 'a bunch of translated Word documents', it may be handy to make a Project first (all files in one project). Go to New Project and follow the instructions, open it, add your TM, and voila.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer, Robert! I'll try this right away.

I actually received documents in both the source language and in the target language. All in separate Word files... So I have both the original documents and their translations.
Is it possible to import both versions (source and target) and match them with each other so that I can review and adapt the translation where needed.

[Modifié le 2021-12-22 13:47 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Only target files. Dec 22, 2021

So you have source and target Word files to compare and review? Was the original translation done using Trados? In this case you should be using bilingual Trados files for review, if available.

Not sure how you’ll do this if you were only given the native Word files, source and target.

Are you doing a bilingual review or the target proofreading only?

[Edited at 2021-12-22 13:46 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt

Sylvain Carlier (X)
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Target proofreading only indeed Dec 22, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

So you have source and target Word files to compare and review? Was the original translation done using Trados? In this case you should be using bilingual Trados files for review, if available.

Not sure how you’ll do this if you were only given the native Word files, source and target.

Are you doing a bilingual review or the target proofreading only?

[Edited at 2021-12-22 13:46 GMT]

I only received source and target Word files.
I have to review the translation so we're talking about target proofreading only indeed.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Inconvenient combo. Dec 22, 2021

Sylvain Carlier wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Sylvain Carlier wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanks a lot for your quick answer, Robert! I'll try this right away.

I actually received documents in both the source language and in the target language. All in separate Word files... So I have both the original documents and their translations.
Is it possible to import both versions (source and target) and match them with each other so that I can review and adapt the translation where needed.

[Modifié le 2021-12-22 13:47 GMT]

I asked you questions before, but the thread is lagging because your posts are being approved.

I am not sure you can do this easily or successfully with just the native files (source and target) from someone who did not use Trados during their translation process. There is something called file alignment but it’s not very accurate and is cumbersome.

Perhaps someone can offer a better solution.

Sylvain Carlier (X)

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
One more thing. Dec 22, 2021

If you upload a target text, it will appear in the left window. To be able to work in it, copy it to the right window. Save the file after finishing as a Word file. You'll find this function under Save target as (under File).

PS) If you are working with a monolingual file, it doesn't make a lot of sense to work with a TM, unless you have monolingual TM's.

Other possibility, skip Trados and work directly from/in Word! Would be just as fast (or even faster).

Sylvain Carlier (X)

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
How will it be faster? Dec 22, 2021

How is it faster comparing two native Word files, line by line? I don’t see anything fast about it, especially if the file is big, and there are a lot of them. It’s only faster in case of the target monolingual proofreading.

@OP, as a beginner, you may not be aware, but if you have names and numbers in your files, Trados checks and compares them automatically. Same for full stops, commas, and other punctuation marks. But you need to have Trados type files for this to happen.
... See more
How is it faster comparing two native Word files, line by line? I don’t see anything fast about it, especially if the file is big, and there are a lot of them. It’s only faster in case of the target monolingual proofreading.

@OP, as a beginner, you may not be aware, but if you have names and numbers in your files, Trados checks and compares them automatically. Same for full stops, commas, and other punctuation marks. But you need to have Trados type files for this to happen.

[Edited at 2021-12-22 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Robert Rietvelt
Sylvain Carlier (X)

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
You might be right Dec 22, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

Depends on the number of files he has.

Sylvain Carlier (X)
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll explore the alignment function Dec 22, 2021

Thanks a lot for the help! It's much appreciated, guys!

I'll start exploring the alignment function as I think it's what comes closer to what I imagined would be useful to me.

I received in total 10 folders containing each about 10 Word files of approximately 150 words. I got each file in both the source and target language so in total I have 20 folders.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are not expected to use Trados in your case Dec 23, 2021

and things will be more complicated if you put your working files to Trados, and it is more likely that you will create new errors.

Print the English word file out, and compare the translation against it. That's the most practical way to do it.

Joakim Braun
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Robert Rietvelt

Sylvain Carlier (X)
Sylvain Carlier (X)
Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting there! Thanks everybody! Dec 24, 2021

I guess I was mislead by what my client told me:

"Do you work with a translation memory? Because there is a lot of overlap, then you take everything out at once. After all, it will be important to use the same terms consistently and to ensure that the content is correctly represented."

I think Trados was not necessary in this case indeed.

But still I aligned all flies in Trados (in both the source and the target language): about 18.000 words in the source l
... See more
I guess I was mislead by what my client told me:

"Do you work with a translation memory? Because there is a lot of overlap, then you take everything out at once. After all, it will be important to use the same terms consistently and to ensure that the content is correctly represented."

I think Trados was not necessary in this case indeed.

But still I aligned all flies in Trados (in both the source and the target language): about 18.000 words in the source language. This enabled me to feed my translation memories which were almost empty as I've just started using Trados!
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Three times of the time needed for a "review" job Dec 24, 2021

I think the way you have described is cumbersome, and if that is what your client had requested, you should charge at least three times the fee offered to you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 - Newbie question - How to review already translated Word documents ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »