No pre-translation when creating a new project based on previous template/project
Thread poster: Brentusfirmus
Brentusfirmus
Brentusfirmus
Local time: 16:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2022

Hi everyone,

I need to add around 23 new files to an existing project. To keep things well-organised, I want to either create a new project for them, or add them to a new folder under the existing project.

All of the 23 new files contain dozens of segments that have already been translated as part of the original project. But when I create a new project for the new files, using the translation memory from the existing project, for some reason Trados doesn't recognise th
... See more
Hi everyone,

I need to add around 23 new files to an existing project. To keep things well-organised, I want to either create a new project for them, or add them to a new folder under the existing project.

All of the 23 new files contain dozens of segments that have already been translated as part of the original project. But when I create a new project for the new files, using the translation memory from the existing project, for some reason Trados doesn't recognise the segments and they are not pre-translated or even included in the analysis. It's as if the previous translations aren't there. I need a separate analysis of the new batch of files in order to quote the client a fee and a deadline.

When I add one of the 23 new files directly to the existing project, it recognises the segments and pre-translates them without a problem. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, and how I can fix it? The only thing I can think of is that there may be a project-specific memory in use that is inaccessible by other projects. If that's the case, does anyone know how I can change that?

Regards and many thanks for any help,

Brent.
Collapse

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Step by step adding a new folder for existing projects Feb 2, 2022

You can see the step by step here: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000004232
Be very careful on steps 11 and 12 and make sure you are choosing the correct options.
this info works for - Trados 2015-2021

Good luck.

Brentusfirmus
Brentusfirmus
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No pre-translation when creating a new project based on previous template/project Feb 2, 2022

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response, but I don't really see how it helps me. I don't want to create a package to send to someone, I just want to make a new project for myself, using the same translation memory as for another project. The problem is that for some reason, even when I select the proper memory, the files are not pre-translated. I know they should be, because when I add one of the new files to the previous project, it is pre-translated correctly. So I need to find out w
... See more
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response, but I don't really see how it helps me. I don't want to create a package to send to someone, I just want to make a new project for myself, using the same translation memory as for another project. The problem is that for some reason, even when I select the proper memory, the files are not pre-translated. I know they should be, because when I add one of the new files to the previous project, it is pre-translated correctly. So I need to find out why the pre-translation isn't happening properly, even though I'm selecting the correct translation memory.

Brent.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:08
English to Russian
Drag and drop Feb 2, 2022

Just drag and drop your new files to the existing project. Select them in the source pane by pressing and holding Ctrl and clicking your mouse on the 23 files. Then right click and select Batch tasks - Prepare without project TM. All your new files will be pretranslated and you will be able to find a report in the Reports view. Your 23-file report will appear uppermost in the list.
2022-02-03_022637

Brentusfirmus
Brentusfirmus
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No pre-translation when creating a new project based on previous template/project Feb 3, 2022

Yes I've thought of this too, but the problem is that the project already has 25 unfinished files in it, and if I do it this way, the new files will be interspersed among the old ones and I won't be able to tell easily in the files window which files are from the new batch and which from the old. The two batches have different deadlines, so I need to keep them separate and clearly identifiable.

I've tried doing this by creating a separate folder for the new set of files, but the pre
... See more
Yes I've thought of this too, but the problem is that the project already has 25 unfinished files in it, and if I do it this way, the new files will be interspersed among the old ones and I won't be able to tell easily in the files window which files are from the new batch and which from the old. The two batches have different deadlines, so I need to keep them separate and clearly identifiable.

I've tried doing this by creating a separate folder for the new set of files, but the pre-translation fails then too. I just don't understand why it works when I add a file to the existing project, but not when I create a new project or a new folder under the existing project.

Brent.
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
New project template Feb 3, 2022

Have you tried creating a new project template from the original project and the use this template as basis for the new project.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Wrong TM or settings Feb 3, 2022

I don’t know what you mean by adding a new folder and how it works in Trados, but probably you should check your pretranslation settings (Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Pre-translate Files). Set the minimum match value to a value that is other than 100. Try 70 for example. Also check your TMs. If you use more than one TM, make sure the right TM is checked in the Update column and listed above other TMs.
Also, you mentioned that you used some
... See more
I don’t know what you mean by adding a new folder and how it works in Trados, but probably you should check your pretranslation settings (Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Pre-translate Files). Set the minimum match value to a value that is other than 100. Try 70 for example. Also check your TMs. If you use more than one TM, make sure the right TM is checked in the Update column and listed above other TMs.
Also, you mentioned that you used some template based on the previous project. Try using the 'Default' option for your new project and select the same TM where you store the previous translations.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 14:14 GMT]
Collapse

Brentusfirmus
Brentusfirmus
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No pre-translation when creating a new project based on previous template/project Feb 3, 2022

Hi,

I have done all of this. I use the same template as the current project to create a new project, ensure the same memory is selected, confirm the pre-translate settings, and the segments are not translated. When I add a file to the existing project, with pre-translation settings at the highest level (100%), the pre-translation is fine. This is my question. I don't understand why the same translation memory doesn't work in those two instances.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try RWS Community Feb 3, 2022

I'm afraid there can be many reasons for that behaviour, and one needs to see what is going on in your computer to understand the right reason. Try RWS Community. Here is an example of similar issues with different culprits: referencing a wrong TM and software being not up to date (<... See more
I'm afraid there can be many reasons for that behaviour, and one needs to see what is going on in your computer to understand the right reason. Try RWS Community. Here is an example of similar issues with different culprits: referencing a wrong TM and software being not up to date (https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/19880/my-pre-translate-batch-task-does-not-work). In both cases Paul helped sort them out via Team Viewer. Therefore I suggest that you post your question there in like manner.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 15:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No pre-translation when creating a new project based on previous template/project

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »